Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Akendele's stock coincidently started to drop once he started to garner attention from Canada and the USA (at least in the media). Dallas is also going though a stretch of poor form though. Either way, It's becoming increasingly unlikely we'll see him called into the US national team any time soon.  

Obinna, I don't want to sound rude, but it worked for Borjan, you seem to get his name spot on now. So AkIndele, with an I.

On Akindele, I'm not surprised that he's struggling. I don't know when was the last time a rookie scored that many goals in his rookie year, but we never see that in MLS. And it seemed that his goal tally was more luck than peristence because his SoG/90 are low for a guy that scores that many goals (Quoting Sam for that one). I don't think that he could have sustained that through the long run. I think that the fact that he plays up front make him a more interesting prospect because we hate our Ricketts, Jackson, Haber and co. to the point that we would rather see someone else. He scores goals and now everyone wants him. I don't recall people on this board saying that he sould have been called up for the camp where we played Fort Lauderdale.

If it wasn't for you pointing that out I'd still be spelling "Borjan" wrong, so thanks for another heads up, I appreciate it!

I agree on Akindele. It's true he never came onto anyone's radar until the goals started to flow in. Now that they have dried up it will be interesting to see how much interest the USA has in him (if any). Zardes, MacInerney, Amarikwa, Luis Silva, Will Bruin, Lamar Neagle are all players with similar or better offensive stats this season.   

Kyle Bekker played for 80 minutes in his start. Jonathan Osorio played the whole game and DeRo came on in the 75' minute.

Bekker's passing was ok, but boy his defensive work sucked. Positioning was terrible. He'll never amount to more than an AM with limited skills at this point

Obinna, I don't want to sound rude, but it worked for Borjan, you seem to get his name spot on now. So AkIndele, with an I.

On Akindele, I'm not surprised that he's struggling. I don't know when was the last time a rookie scored that many goals in his rookie year, but we never see that in MLS. And it seemed that his goal tally was more luck than peristence because his SoG/90 are low for a guy that scores that many goals (Quoting Sam for that one). I don't think that he could have sustained that through the long run. I think that the fact that he plays up front make him a more interesting prospect because we hate our Ricketts, Jackson, Haber and co. to the point that we would rather see someone else. He scores goals and now everyone wants him. I don't recall people on this board saying that he sould have been called up for the camp where we played Fort Lauderdale.

IIRC DeShorn Brown scored 10 in his rookie year

I respectfully disagree with you on Bekker. I believe he has all the tools to be a good footballer at the MLS level. His deficiencies are his defensive positioning and poor ball-winning abilities, but he has noticeably improved in this regard (still has a long, long way to go - but we can see signs of progress). I really like his dead ball abilities and he has pretty good technique. His decision making sometimes lets him down and at times he lacks sharpness, but I am confident these things will change as he continues to get more regular playing time.  

Bekker's passing was ok, but boy his defensive work sucked. Positioning was terrible. He'll never amount to more than an AM with limited skills at this point

I usually completely agree that Bekker's defensive work is horrible but I was surprised this game that he went in very hard for a few tackles. Maybe it was because he was frustrated with the game. Maybe he should play frustrated more often!

Fabian Castillo being hurt has been a real negative for Akindele, plus hitting the rookie wall plus being scouted a bit more. 

Bekker will be a good NASL player, I don't think he does any one thing well enough at the MLS level to be a starter on a good team.

I'll say it again, i think Bekker will be a good Dutch Eerste Divisie player.

They played the LA stream on BT and the two galaxy announcers were really high on Bekker. They thought he played well defensively. I thought he was good too.

Not the first time we have been overly critical of a player on here.  I think sometimes we zone in on certain players and watch them intently, which can sometimes negatively affect how we perceive the game.

I respectfully disagree with you on Bekker. I believe he has all the tools to be a good footballer at the MLS level. His deficiencies are his defensive positioning and poor ball-winning abilities, but he has noticeably improved in this regard (still has a long, long way to go - but we can see signs of progress). I really like his dead ball abilities and he has pretty good technique. His decision making sometimes lets him down and at times he lacks sharpness, but I am confident these things will change as he continues to get more regular playing time.  

I agree 100% with these sentiments.  Yes, Bekker was caught ball watching on the second goal and yes, he has a long way to go but the potential is there, his passing is quite good and he can take a good free kick.  I look forward to seeing him progress next season.

Bekker is 24.

What's your point?  Graham Zusi wasn't starring at 24 and developed.. same with Wondolowski and countless other North American players.  He's a second year pro.  Not saying he'll develop to be like those guys but I wouldn't write him off because he's 24.

I'll say it again, i think Bekker will be a good Dutch Eerste Divisie player.

I think he'd be a good Dutch Ereste Divisie player too. Who knows, he could probably even do okay for himself on a bottom to mid table Eredivisie club one day, once he reaches his potential (if he gets there...which we all hope he does).

I think he'd be a good Dutch Ereste Divisie player too. Who knows, he could probably even do okay for himself on a bottom to mid table Eredivisie club one day, once he reaches his potential (if he gets there...which we all hope he does).

IMO he has higher potential than that so I don't think we should set our sights too low.  Andrew Ornoch for instance won only 3 caps with Canada and starred in the Dutch 2nd Division.. Bekker already has 12 and continues to receive MNT calls so obviously the brass sees something. 

Bekker has shown he deserves to be in the league.  Remember this is a league with a wide spectrum of talent, so although he may not be Michael Bradley he is still an average player in this league at worst.  I think we're just disappointed that at #3 overall he hasn't scored highlight FKs and become the #10 we all hoped right away. 

Not the first time we have been overly critical of a player on here.  I think sometimes we zone in on certain players and watch them intently, which can sometimes negatively affect how we perceive the game.

Except the poster is giving a very generous view of the Galaxy announcers take on Bekker (they were the MLS live crew). They were very critical of the Toronto midfield, apart from Bradley, in the first half, but noted that Bekker played better in the second half when he was moved farther up the field and pointed out that he had a few good attacking moments. Regardless, Vanney has said that Osorio has won the other central midfield spot for the rest of the year so we'll have to see what the off-season brings for him.

IMO he has higher potential than that so I don't think we should set our sights too low.  Andrew Ornoch for instance won only 3 caps with Canada and starred in the Dutch 2nd Division.. Bekker already has 12 and continues to receive MNT calls so obviously the brass sees something. 

Ornoch is a perfect example of Bekker's career trajectory. He started at Papa-Lombard where he had some success before joining Esbjerg where he scored once in 13 games over 1 1/2 seasons in the Danish Superligaen. Then he spent a year in the Eredivisie with Heracles Almelo where he made one sub appearance. Then he dropped to the Eerste divisie  where he scored 3 times in a 9 game stretch with Veendam and then had 1 goal in 7 games with Telstar. 

What's your point?  Graham Zusi wasn't starring at 24 and developed.. same with Wondolowski and countless other North American players.  He's a second year pro.  Not saying he'll develop to be like those guys but I wouldn't write him off because he's 24.

Using examples of the exception rather than the rule doesn't mean anything, especially when those guys came through a much different MLS than we have today.

I'm not writing him off, but I do think he's getting close to his final product.  I think he has some very good attacking ability, but not enough to be a quality 10 in this league.  He's not physical and is poor defensively and I think that will hold him back from being a quality CM.  He'll be 25 before next season starts, at that age he should be a starter. 

An MLS lifer and decent player, sure, but my opinion of him isn't quite as high as others. 

I also think he gets called up a lot simply because 'he's there'.    

I found out why Bekker will never amount to much than a depth player. He lacks balls. Cojones. Heart. Does pretty good Jeff Cunningham impression whenever he loses the ball. Doesn't go in for 50/50 challenges.

I actually think Bekker has better technique than Osorio, but Osorio plays his heart out every game. Bekker? Coasting through life.

Archived