Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the following wont be in the MLS next year for one reason or another:

Morgan, Dero, Henry, Alderson, & Attakora.  

Weren't people disagreeing with me that the reason why they signed Bustos to a pre contract and not a contract was because they wanted to get rid of Alderson?

Let's be honest, some players just have a ceiling.  Alderson never was going to be consistently good and skilled enough to be an MLS player, it doesn't matter about what route he took.  

Sometimes you have it or you don't, no need for excuses or routes, sometimes your talent level is just your talent level, your work rate is your work rate, and your ability is your ability.  We can wish what we want for certain Canadian players, but Messi is Messi and Dunfield is Dunfield.  It is what it is.

Alderson is a poster boy for MLS failing young players. He should have gone to the NCAA.

Alderson should have been sent out on loan to play pro football and get first team minutes, not NCAA. Last year he got hurt in Charleston and didn't want to go back. This year they needed to find a solution. If the caps would have had their USL Pro team, things would have been different. But now he has stagnated for 2 years and it may be too late.

Alderson should have been sent out on loan to play pro football and get first team minutes, not NCAA. Last year he got hurt in Charleston and didn't want to go back. This year they needed to find a solution. If the caps would have had their USL Pro team, things would have been different. But now he has stagnated for 2 years and it may be too late.

They did have a solution, it was for him to play in Charleston, but he didnt want to go - what were they supposed to do?  

Weren't people disagreeing with me that the reason why they signed Bustos to a pre contract and not a contract was because they wanted to get rid of Alderson?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Bustos is on a pre-contract because they are out of homegrown/GA/Other stupid MLS roster rule exemptions until the 2015 season.  

Correct me if Im wrong but Alderson homegrown contract ends this year.

It's not too hard to read the tea leaves and see that Alderson will likely be replaced by Ben McKendry, who has been playing in the NCAA. Alderson refused a loan this year, what else can Vancouver do? They have a good enough academy system that they don't have to put up with bullshit from the likes of Alderson and Caleb Clarke. It's time that the 'caps and Alderson parted ways, it'd be best for both parties.

Other players: Attakora and Morgan will probably be in the league next year, although maybe not with their current teams. Attakora is versatile and cheap while left-footers are hard to come by in the league.

De Rosario should retire, I don't think Toronto should bring him back next year.

Porter, tough call. DCU is a old team.

Montreal needs to sort out their homegrowns. Too many players, too few of whom look like real stars (Gagnon-Lapare, maybe Tissot, maybe maybe Jackson-Hamel), and too many of them in defensive positions that need real veteran starters. Massoudi would likely be cut after he bombed in Ottawa but they need to fill that USL team next year.

Toronto should also part ways with Bekker, but I think he would find another team for at least a year. NASL is his real destiny. 

Is Rob Friend still on the Galaxy roster?

Toronto should also part ways with Bekker, but I think he would find another team for at least a year. NASL is his real destiny. 

No chance Toronto will part ways with Bekker. A player that played as a starter for many games, gets playing time on the National team, has a relatively low salary and is a Canadian will not be dropped.

I think it's over for Attakora in MLS. Last season he only had 8 appearances for San Jose, this season 0 for DC. IMO teams will rather take a chance on one of their draft picks, or instead go for a player of his age with actual experience. There's no reason he can't hook on to a NASL or USL PRO team though.

It's not too hard to read the tea leaves and see that Alderson will likely be replaced by Ben McKendry, who has been playing in the NCAA. Alderson refused a loan this year, what else can Vancouver do? They have a good enough academy system that they don't have to put up with bullshit from the likes of Alderson and Caleb Clarke. It's time that the 'caps and Alderson parted ways, it'd be best for both parties.

I agree. It is best for Alderson if he leaves. But he is still an asset, and if he didn't want to go to Charleston, they needed to find something else they could agree on. Even youth Germany like Caleb Clarke would have been better than nothing. This past year did not benefit either the club or the player.

Final Stats for the season, excluding CCL, Canadian Championship or US Open.  Canadian players logged 17,410 minutes this season in the MLS among 19 players with 6 regular starters and another 5 players who were regulars for their team. 

Will Johnson 2526

Jonathan Osorio 2040

Russell Teibert  1969

Tesho Akindele 1935

Doneil Henry 1802

Patrice Bernier  1802

Kyle Bekker 1116

Karl Ouimette 923

Issey Nakajima-Farran  772

Maxim Tissot  761

Dwayne DeRosario 504

Rob Friend 376

Gagnon-Lapare 269

Ashtone Morgan 166

Sam Adekugbe  193

Jackson-Hamel 132

Kyle Porter 65

Kianz González-Froese 44

Louis Béland-Goyette 15

2/3rds of these guys won't be playing in MLS in two years time, I predict. It remains to be seen if there will be enough youthful Canadian quality to replace them or if there will be future Berniers and Johnsons to come from Europe to fill some shoes. The final piece will be all of the promising college kids a la Tesho and Larin. I predict we might not ever see that many more Canadians playing in MLS then we have now, which must be a huge disappointment for all Canadians involved in all positions at all levels.

2/3rds of these guys won't be playing in MLS in two years time, I predict. It remains to be seen if there will be enough youthful Canadian quality to replace them or if there will be future Berniers and Johnsons to come from Europe to fill some shoes. The final piece will be all of the promising college kids a la Tesho and Larin. I predict we might not ever see that many more Canadians playing in MLS then we have now, which must be a huge disappointment for all Canadians involved in all positions at all levels.

It is true that the numbers of Canadians might be the same  in a couple of years time but the ages of the players should be significantly younger and with that they will also have more potential of developing into top players instead of the older mostly average MLS players we have now. The quality of the academy graduates should increase over time as well.

It is true that the numbers of Canadians might be the same  in a couple of years time but the ages of the players should be significantly younger and with that they will also have more potential of developing into top players instead of the older mostly average MLS players we have now. The quality of the academy graduates should increase over time as well.

Agreed.  I actually see the amount of Canadians going up in the next 5 years.

This years numbers will actually be depressing if Tesho Akindele decides he isnt a Canadian and we have to remove 1935min and 7 goals.

Ever?!  I'd hold off on that prediction.  In fact I'd guarantee the number of Canadians doubles (at least) in the next 10 years.

Archived