Canadians in MLS (2014 Season)

mulliganl

It's not insane at all.  In europe or anywhere else in the world yes it would be but in the insanity of MLS no it's actually the logical move.

Playing academy players gives time to your generation that will actually stick around, not the dime dozen players who will be shipped  to another team for allocation money in a few months.  What do you have to lose Rudi?  You lose games = higher draft pick, more allocation money .. winning games in the CCL = chance of progression, allocation money.

This is North America... you either want to be last or first.. not middle of the pack.

So it's all positives and Saputo said that the team is free to play youngsters the rest of the year.  What did TFC do during our lost years?  Sure a few youngsters got time but ultimately we had managers fighting to keep their jobs due to MLS success which was pointless at the time and we ended up wasting minutes on players that left.  Signing Jackson and throwing him right into the team is proof that they're going with this option.  Has TFC ever signed a player and played them right away before making them sit on the bench endless matches?

One thing I guarantee.. Montreal will not go 7 years without playoffs.  They're actually looking to the future, something our club claimed to do but didn't fully do because they tried to band aid the team the same way they do with the Leafs every season.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get this straight: I'm in no way defending TFC and the ridiculous way the club was run for the first 7 years. What I'm saying is that you're praising the Impact for doing a lot of the exact same things that TFC did during those years.

Playing academy players gives time to your generation that will actually stick around, not the dime dozen players who will be shipped  to another team for allocation money in a few months.  What do you have to lose Rudi?  You lose games = higher draft pick, more allocation money .. winning games in the CCL = chance of progression, allocation money.

How many of TFC's academy players have stuck around? I suspect the percentage of Impact academy players who actually become MLS regulars will be the same.

As for the second part, well TFC has a ton of experience in losing games and getting high draft picks/more allocation money. And TFC has also tasted a bit of CCL success during those losing seasons. And it's gotten them where, exactly?

So it's all positives and Saputo said that the team is free to play youngsters the rest of the year.  What did TFC do during our lost years?  Sure a few youngsters got time but ultimately we had managers fighting to keep their jobs due to MLS success which was pointless at the time and we ended up wasting minutes on players that left. 

If TFC's not at the top of MLS in regards to giving playing time to its homegrowns, it's surely in the top three.

And if the Impact aren't currently giving playing time to a bunch of players that won't be there next year, then the team will be in the exact same trouble next year.

Signing Jackson and throwing him right into the team is proof that they're going with this option.  Has TFC ever signed a player and played them right away before making them sit on the bench endless matches?

Doneil Henry actually played in the CCL before signing with TFC's first team, while Nicholas Lindsay played for the first team on the same day that he signed. Ashtone Morgan (who also played in the CCL as an amateur) won the starting LB job shortly after signing and kept it for most of 3 seasons, and Jonathan Osorio walked onto the team as a preseason fill-in and became a crucial part of the side last year.

Hell, even Keith Makubuya played right after signing (although that didn't last long).

One thing I guarantee.. Montreal will not go 7 years without playoffs.  They're actually looking to the future, something our club claimed to do but didn't fully do because they tried to band aid the team the same way they do with the Leafs every season.

While I completely disagree with your stance that Montreal is somehow looking to the future by suddenly signing scores of academy players to an awful first team, I do agree that the Impact won't go 7 years without playoffs. TFC has been historically bad in this regard, and I don't think any other team matches that kind of futility for a long time (including TFC itself).

Look, I'm not saying that the Impact will make all the same mistakes TFC made. In fact, that's impossible because (as I've stated before) TFC is an historically bad MLS franchise. I just can't agree with the pie-in-the-sky notion that somehow the Impact are doing so much better by signing a bunch of academy guys to a struggling first team while TFC were idiots while doing the exact same thing.

Most teams simply don't sign that many youngsters to the first team if the first team is doing well. Once the Impact turns the ship around, the amount of academy players on the first team roster will decline. That's just the way these things work for every team outside of Barcelona from 2008-2013 or Ajax from the late 80's.

TFC has given more opportunities to Canadian youngsters than most but ultimately your point about Morgan and Henry playing in the CCL but not in MLS is  exactly where I disagreed with TFC's approach, you can't deny that TFC was prioritizing league matches over CCL matches even when the year was lost.  I mean wasn't it uncovered that the brass was influencing managers in player selection?

Morgan and Henry should have been playing in league matches in those years rather than CCL where we still had a chance of progression (although to be fair Morgan played in a meaningless match) I'm not right because I'm assuming at the moment so we'll see what type of team Montreal fields tonight for their CCL match. 

Philadelphia 2-1 Montreal

Bernier played the full match.

Tissot got on during the 75th and scored a goal.

Anthony Jackson-Hamel got on the 67th and hit the post with a back heel.

That backfoot-effort looked really nice, it deserved more. In his two sub-appearances J-H looked very promising.

Lefevre was also in the line-up, but he made an horrible mistake and still hasn't convinced. I can't imagine the Impact holding on to him much longer, especially considering he's almost 25.

Non-Canadian teams:

Akindele played 75 minutes for Dallas. Johnson got 90 for Portland and Opare didn't get off the bench for DC. They lost 3-0 and the defense looked horrible, maybe he'll get an opportunity soon.

Jackson-Hamel is probably one of the more talented strikers I have ever seen at his age. I was extremely impressed. His eye for goal  is better than any other Canadian football prospect I've seen in years. If he fulfills his potential he will be one of the better strikers in the MLS. 

I am also impressed with D.Henry this year. He can be reckless at times but is a solid CB. I also like his ability to do damage on corners and free kicks with headers. I love it when CB's have that ability. 

^How was he in those +15 minutes? I think he really has the skill set to do well as a number 10.

Ya he was ok, but it was end of game, holding down the lead stuff.  I would like to see him more in the middle to and he definitely does have that skill set.  Needs to learn to beat players with the ball though, but is always looking for the through ball and provides a good service.

Maybe he drifted out wide left but I could have swore I saw him on the left side more than in the middle. They are very flexible in the mid with side to side overlaps (sidelaps?) and position changes. Any way he does seem to be the subbing in regularly. 

Russell Teibert goes the full 90 in our draw with Chivas. Gershon was injured so Russell was playing beside Laba in the DM role. Looked very good. He seems to have moved ahead of NRC on the depth chart for the DM position. NRC was in the game day 18 and on the bench. 

Laba is out next week with yellow accumulations so we'll see if he gets another start with Gersh/NRC in the DM role. 

LOL, that might have been the least skilled hat trick ever, all essentially tap-ins. Still, someone's got to put them in.

Being at the right place at the right time is a quality in itself. I don't think Pipo Inzaghi ever scored but tap-ins.

Edit: I saw the recap and that first one was all his. Individual skill followed by a shot, no tap-in what soever. That second goal was poaching, inticipating the keeper would spill the ball and getting there first. That's a real striker goal in my book. His third was indeed a tap-in. But boy could the MNT use a guy that's at the right place at the right moment...

I agree about Tiebert.  That was probably the best game I have seen him play.  He was dominant.

Henry & Osorio went 90 for TFC.  Osorio was okay, Henry looked like he was still feeling the effects of the flu.  Conceded another penalty.  Bekker had a 10 minute mop up in an ugly blow out.

Tissot with a wonderful pass to start the move for DiVaio's 1-0 winner. He seems to be unable to waste an appearance. If it weren't for the fact that Mapp and Romero are our best players, he would probably have earned a start by now.

Archived