Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

@JebBrovsky: No disrespect to Apple Pie but I now have Maple running through my veins. #CanMNT #AdoptedHome let's do it.

http://rednationonline.ca/Podcasts2014/RedNationInterviewSeriesJebBrovsky.aspx

"Jeb Brovsky

In this interview, RedNation and Jeb discuss his thoughts on the upcoming MLS campaign for the Impact, including Montreal’s rivalry with Toronto FC, his experiences living and playing professional soccer in Vancouver and Montreal, his desire to play for Canada at the International level and his work with his nonprofit organization Peace Pandemic."

Keep points

-Feeling like a Canadian

-Mentions the twitter post above; Jeb says there is ongoing communication with the CSA and they are actively working on immigration issues.

-Very excited about CMNT, re: Benito, future etc

-Great interview all together. after listen to the sh*t Lee Godfrey airing out of the TFC camp this is a refreshing change.

Big thanks to Rednationonline.ca for this internview

• 2 months later...

Updated the list in regards to the ruling on Fernando

Removed Gershon Koffie, Jordan Harvey and Jeremy Hall; who all have been capped at the youth level for their countries.

Also removed Matt Watson who is now with Chicago

• 1 month later...

My mistake...i intended on posting  "wouldn't be so quick.." he could have citizenship a the moment and still be considered a resident working abroad.It doesn't make all the much sense but if he is wanting to play international football for Canada he'll have to

Edited by hamiltonfan

My mistake...i intended on posting  "wouldn't be so quick.." he could have citizenship a the moment and still be considered a resident working abroad.It doesn't make all the much sense but if he is wanting to play international football for Canada he'll have to

But he needs to be at the same country for 5 straight years to count for naturalisation in FIFA's eyes. It's not like a guy like Lefèvre or Roberts who don't have their citizenship, but would become eligible the minute they would get their citizenship.

Agreed ^. The question is, what qualifies are "living" or "being in the same country"? Perhaps having your permanent residents in Canada and spending XX amount of days in the country. Many permanent residents work in the United States.

I'm not convinced there is an answer to this question. Remember this is FIFA Law...whatever the f*ck that really means.  

Agreed ^. The question is, what qualifies are "living" or "being in the same country"? Perhaps having your permanent residents in Canada and spending XX amount of days in the country. Many permanent residents work in the United States.

I'm not convinced there is an answer to this question. Remember this is FIFA Law...whatever the f*ck that really means.  

Yeah because that is kind of hard to interpret, that's why I basically just go by which club they're at. 

For all we know Brovsky could be keeping his permanent address in Montreal and spending all his off time there and inching closer to meeting the quota, however so could a lot of players that aren't currently on our radar.

I find it fun doing this thread just to see what the possibilities could be like but Canada has had MLS clubs since 2007 and no one has made it past the 1 year until qualifying for citizenship (Frei), so in all reality none of these guys will ever suit up for Canada. There is too much player movement in MLS, and you have to basically hit that sweet spot of being good enough to be wanted by the Canada's National setup, but not good enough to be wanted by their own National set up or a club that would want to sign them.

Wasn't the problem with Ihemelu that he had gone to school in the States so that time did not count towards Canadian residency?

I think people are grasping if they think Brovsky can retain residence by playing in the States.

Brovsky has been in Canada since 2011... If he's been living in Canada during the off-seasons and has permanent resident status he might just qualify for citizenship.

According to Wikipedia....

A person who is a permanent resident may apply for Canadian citizenship by naturalization (grant) subject to the following conditions.

The person:

• is aged 18 years or over
  • is a permanent resident
  • has lived in Canada for a total of 1095 days during the four years preceding the application for citizenship, including a minimum of two years as a permanent resident
  • has knowledge of Canada (as demonstrated by taking the Canadian Citizenship Test, which is required as part of the application process, but only if the applicant is between 18 and 54 years of age)
  • is not a subject to any criminal prohibitions
  • is not a war criminal
  • is able to speak English or French well enough to communicate with people[15]

I think people are grasping if they think Brovsky can retain residence by playing in the States.

I am not under the impression that he retain residence by playing in the States. Rather he can retain "FIFA residence" status despite playing in the States.  How.. that is the million dollar question

I agree that the excessive amount of player movements is dashing alot of the hopes i had that (with MLS) we would be able inject some talent or depth to the MNT through naturalization.

If we could at least nationalize a keeper, that would help a great deal. But there has been alot of player movement even at that position. Right now, i am not sure that our NT keeps are good enough to earn starting roles in MLS and MLS some pretty decent ones.

• 1 month later...