Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

Lance Parker, FC Edmonton, United States, 31 in 2016

Signed with Edmonton on February 19, 2011

Evan Bush, Montreal Impact, United States, 30 in 2016

Signed with Montreal on March 11, 2011

What do we think about these two players? It looks like Evan Bush will be with Montreal next year as a starter unless they decide to upgrade, so theres a real chance he'll be around long enough to become eligible. I'm not sure about Lance Parker though. Where do we think these guys would fit in our GK pool?

What do we think about these two players? It looks like Evan Bush will be with Montreal next year as a starter unless they decide to upgrade, so theres a real chance he'll be around long enough to become eligible. I'm not sure about Lance Parker though. Where do we think these guys would fit in our GK pool?

Parker is gone. They released him. So forget about that. He's also very injury prone. Don't know about Bush. I know Felipe will become eligible sometime in 2017 and has already said when he gets his passport he'd love to represent Canada.

Parker is gone. They released him. So forget about that. He's also very injury prone. Don't know about Bush. I know Felipe will become eligible sometime in 2017 and has already said when he gets his passport he'd love to represent Canada.

Well I guess Parker being released just means John Smits is the true #1 now, so it's not really a negative for us. I believe Bush will be eligible a year earlier than Felipe, I'm just wondering if he is better than Lars or Kenny at the moment.

Well I guess Parker being released just means John Smits is the true #1 now, so it's not really a negative for us. I believe Bush will be eligible a year earlier than Felipe, I'm just wondering if he is better than Lars or Kenny at the moment.

I'd say so. He's younger and both Lars and Kenny don't have much left to offer since both don't play anymore for their clubs. I asked a few Edmonton people about Smits and unfortunately most said despite his season he probably won't get considered for the national team anytime soon. Floro likes Borjan and his core of keepers.

If Bush was starting in MLS that would be more consistent minutes at a higher level than any other keeper. Think about it: Stama and Lars clearly past their primes and not starting. Borjan mostly nailed to the bench (seems to be their clear number 2 though and getting a few games here and there). Chompski, Smits and Monsalve starting, but in weaker leagues. I would say if he sticks around with the Impact next year and grabs the starting job he should get calls for sure.

If Bush was starting in MLS that would be more consistent minutes at a higher level than any other keeper. Think about it: Stama and Lars clearly past their primes and not starting. Borjan mostly nailed to the bench (seems to be their clear number 2 though and getting a few games here and there). Chompski, Smits and Monsalve starting, but in weaker leagues. I would say if he sticks around with the Impact next year and grabs the starting job he should get calls for sure.

He may be starting in a better league, but I'm wondering if he actually earned it or were they just giving him minutes because they wanted to get rid of Perkins? The Impact gave a lot of minutes to players who probably wouldn't be playing for most of the other teams in MLS this year. I'm basically wondering if he has actual quality and potential to play for the MNT and what peoples opinions of him are. In my opinion he could at the very least help bridge the gap while we wait for our best prospects to gain experience, but I haven't seen much of his play this year.

He may be starting in a better league, but I'm wondering if he actually earned it or were they just giving him minutes because they wanted to get rid of Perkins? 

Exactly. He wasn't very consistent to say the least. Did have his good matches though but not too often. My guess is they want to ship Perkins and keep Bush as back-up. 

For the MNT Smits could be a choice, if he improves on consistency (also). If Borjan finds a new club and is getting starts again his spot between the posts is pretty much solid for the next couple of years. 

For the longer term I think we should look at youngsters like Roberts, Crepeau, Carducci, Stillo maybe even Kaiswatum depending on development.

Exactly. He wasn't very consistent to say the least. Did have his good matches though but not too often. My guess is they want to ship Perkins and keep Bush as back-up. 

For the MNT Smits could be a choice, if he improves on consistency (also). If Borjan finds a new club and is getting starts again his spot between the posts is pretty much solid for the next couple of years. 

For the longer term I think we should look at youngsters like Roberts, Crepeau, Carducci, Stillo maybe even Kaiswatum depending on development.

I don't think Carducci will ever be given a shot. Same with Crepeau. Klopas could have played him when Montreal got eliminated but for some reason kept using Bush instead.

He may be starting in a better league, but I'm wondering if he actually earned it or were they just giving him minutes because they wanted to get rid of Perkins? The Impact gave a lot of minutes to players who probably wouldn't be playing for most of the other teams in MLS this year. I'm basically wondering if he has actual quality and potential to play for the MNT and what peoples opinions of him are. In my opinion he could at the very least help bridge the gap while we wait for our best prospects to gain experience, but I haven't seen much of his play this year.

... fair point, neither have I. If they were just giving him "development minutes as the season was a write off, then they won't start him moving forward. If they think he's their guy, they will. If he's back to riding the pine next year, than you've got your answer, and also my logic for calling him goes out the window, so no call in that case IMO. 

Perkins was very poor this year, Bush came in because he was better than Perkins and deserved a chance. I don't think he was there to push Perkins out, he played because Perkins was playing very poorly and the club wanted to see if he could be a number one keeper. Bush was inconsistent but was still better than Perkins. I have liked Bush for a long time and thought he had potential and I think the Impact waited too long to give him a chance. Previously we had Ricketts who is all athletic natural talent with a terrible understanding/schooling of how to play keeper and amazing one game but error prone in general. If Ricketts could learn to be a proper keeper he has the natural talent to be an EPL keeper but his mental understanding of the position is very poor. Perkins is the opposite, poor reaction time not very athletic or talented but makes up for this with very good understanding and training of how to be a keeper and previously a very low error rate. However, if he starts making mistakes like he did this year (and to a lesser extent last year) he gets exposed as a mediocre keeper. When the things happen that are unexpected he is slow to react (unlike Ricketts who reacts very quickly) but usually he is good at anticipating what will happen and places himself well. 

I think Bush is a bit in between Ricketts and Perkins, not as naturally talented and athletic as Ricketts but moreso than Perkins. His positioning is maybe not as good as Perkins when he is on his game but he has a better understanding of how to play the position than Ricketts had. I think Bush has some upside and is probably at least an average MLS starting keeper at the moment. Our defence was terrible this year so it did not make any keeper look good and amplified any mistakes. I would be ok with Bush as a starting keeper next year as long as we spent our money well and improved other position especially the defence. We certainly could upgrade the keeper position over Bush but I don't think it is the number one priority, ie. if the team in front of him is good Bush will be fine though maybe not outstanding. I think he also has some room to improve with playing time, he has been backup for so long it is hard to say where his upward limit is.

That being said, I think Borjan is much more talented than Bush and if he can get rid of his propensity to play great but make one stupid error he could be a really solid keeper. Personally although it would make me a bit sorry for Bush as the perpetual backup, I hope the Impact inquire about how much it would cost to sign Borjan. I think he would be an upgrade over Bush (and Perkins) but I think Bush could push him. 

At an international level I don't think Bush is necessarily international level but none of our keepers since Forrest have been either. Borjan is not either because of a few weaknesses but he has the talent and potential to be international level if he can overcome these weaknesses. I always thought Stama was a bit underrated but I would put Bush about equivalent to him in his prime, ie. a guy with the talent to be a starting MLS keeper but who never had the opportunity. I think Bush is a bit below Hirsch at his prime but now that Hirsch is older and not starting Bush might be a better option as number 2. I don't think Bush is the guy to bring us to the World Cup but for a program with one keeper with a lot aging backups and some talented young guys who aren't getting playing time Bush might be a good nuber 2 for a number of years.

On the other hand I have never heard any information that he is seeking citizenship or to play for the national team. In my opinion Bush wants to play above all so if we offered him a chance with the national team I think he would be receptive because he will never play for the US. I think with Brovsky (why we got rid of him is a similar question as to why we suspended Gerba - falling out with the family or who knows because Brovsky was not all star material but still the best left back we had in this league and better than his replacements) and Camara there were two guys who feel/felt some affinity with Canada and who would be happy to be citizens not only for football reasons. I have never heard Bush express himself in this way though on the other hand he does seem to fit in here well enough and is not a fish out of water like some of our other American players. At the moment we have no depth at keeper and he could be a good number 2 until someone better came along and he has some possibility to develop better than we might expect.

"Elva was recently called up to the Canadian National under 17 football team who recently took part in the Under 17 football World Cup in Bahrain but could not take the call up to the team due to his immigration papers not yet being processed.

His immigration papers have now been processed and he is set to take up the opportunity of his dream to pursue a career as a professional footballer.

Caniggia Elva along with his father Titus “titi” Elva, his uncle Olivier”bolbear” Elva have all been based in Canada for the past few years."

re: the goalkeeper debate, I know we can't exactly count on it, but Dan Fernandes is still available, isn't he?  Guy's gotta be giving up on the Portugal dream soon.  By my count he's only played in friendlies for the senior team.  31 now so still in decent goalkeeper age

Edited by xcalibre

"Elva was recently called up to the Canadian National under 17 football team who recently took part in the Under 17 football World Cup in Bahrain but could not take the call up to the team due to his immigration papers not yet being processed.

His immigration papers have now been processed and he is set to take up the opportunity of his dream to pursue a career as a professional footballer.

Caniggia Elva along with his father Titus “titi” Elva, his uncle Olivier”bolbear” Elva have all been based in Canada for the past few years."

That has to be a fairly old article though since it mentions the U17 World Cup as recent. You would think he would be eligible now based on that language so he would likely be looked at for the U20 team. Be nice to see a more recent update confirming whether he is just not being called, or refusing the call, or a snag in the paperwork. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

re: the goalkeeper debate, I know we can't exactly count on it, but Dan Fernandes is still available, isn't he? Guy's gotta be giving up on the Portugal dream soon. By my count he's only played in friendlies for the senior team. 31 now so still in decent goalkeeper age

Not sure of specifics but he played for a Canada at the U20 level and in a 2008 Euro qualifier for Portugal. Think that means he's cap tied.

Edited by mserson

Not sure of specifics but he played for a Canada at the U20 level and in a 2008 Euro qualifier for Portugal. Think that means he's cap tied.

Are you getting that off wiki? I believe he played in the friendly with Kuwait not the UEFA qualifier against Belgium. It's worded poorly but neither game they played against Belgium was 1-1. Transfermarket also shows him having only played friendlies. 

Are you getting that off wiki? I believe he played in the friendly with Kuwait not the UEFA qualifier against Belgium. It's worded poorly but neither game they played against Belgium was 1-1. Transfermarket also shows him having only played friendlies.

You are correct. You'd have to think Floro is aware of the situation then.

Not sure how long the "one-time switch" rules have been in place, but under the current rules if Fernandes played for Canada in an official youth game he would've needed to file a one-time switch to Portugal.

So if he didn't file that switch, or if it wasn't needed at the time anyways, he should be good.  Don't think he's played any competitive minutes for Portugal's senior team despite going to a World Cup.