Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

certainly they must be doing something to have 2 non-Canadian players wanting to play for Canada.

It is sad that that Teibert is the only Canadian on the Whitecaps good enough to play for them, in the offseason Rennie said they tried very hard to try to get a Canadian on the roster but no one was good enough. I remember they had trials for Peters and Cavallini and were being linked with Friend.

Not Cavallini it was Fresenga. Cavallini is no doubt good enough for MLS. yall can quote me on tht

Do people here still think the Whitecaps don't do enough for the CMNT? Sorry but throwing Canadian players into the fire the way TFC does is not the way to go.

Some of those players ended up getting caps for the national team... meaning that they were the best players Canada had in those positions. One could very reasonably argue they were rushed for TFC but I don't know who would have played in those positions for Canada if TFC hadn't started giving them professional playing minutes... And a player like Osorio wouldn't have been included either if TFC didn't throw some of its young players into the fire.

Most clubs in the world start playing players professionally at 18-21, its the US with their NCAA system that makes it seem brash and crazy. But a player like Bekker should have been ready-at least at his age-for the prime-time and has struggled.

And if the argument is that the Whitecaps is a better managed and run organization, no doubt about it, and it would be better for the Canadian national program if TFC had its **** together but I'm not sure that TFC's policy of playing its young academy products has been the problem for TFC or bad for Canada. Insane player turn-over, consistently problematic positions on the pitch, rotating coaching staffs, bad player management, etc. are separate issues.

Some of those players ended up getting caps for the national team... meaning that they were the best players Canada had in those positions. One could very reasonably argue they were rushed for TFC but I don't know who would have played in those positions for Canada if TFC hadn't started giving them professional playing minutes... And a player like Osorio wouldn't have been included either if TFC didn't throw some of its young players into the fire.

Most clubs in the world start playing players professionally at 18-21, its the US with their NCAA system that makes it seem brash and crazy. But a player like Bekker should have been ready-at least at his age-for the prime-time and has struggled.

And if the argument is that the Whitecaps is a better managed and run organization, no doubt about it, and it would be better for the Canadian national program if TFC had its **** together but I'm not sure that TFC's policy of playing its young academy products has been the problem for TFC or bad for Canada. Insane player turn-over, consistently problematic positions on the pitch, rotating coaching staffs, bad player management, etc. are separate issues.

I am not sure who said this, but "NCAA is where technical soccer players go to die". NCAA is the last place you want to go if you want to become a soccer player. It's a waste of valuable development time.

Funny part is that Tiebert was a TFCA player until he left due to some issues with TFCA staff. Whitecaps only discover him through TFCA.

Vancouver are lucky that Tiebert didn't leave the club after being neglected while seeing weaker players playing over him. Tiebert is playing well because he's talented player who finally got a chance to play. If anything, I would say Vancouver wasted a good year of his development for not playing him earlier.

As for TFC, they have a lot of problems, but developing players through their academy isn't one of them even though I believe they can do more given the market they're in.

I wouldn't get too ahead by saying 1 year of TFC academy made Tiebert... And there are many accounts of the TFC academy not really getting to the next level either - being better than what was going on before and giving young players a professional outlet has been helpful but I don't think anyone can claim that TFC academy has really developed a player yet. They have done the easy part of talent recognition (well not necessarily given how bad the club has done this with pro players) and maybe a bit of development but really the best thing tfc has done is take already decent canadian youth and give them a path way onto a professional team. Saying anything more I think is being a bit to presumptuous.

after seeing Camilo play tonight, find him a cute Canadian gf and cap him now! lol

Sadly he's already engaged and soon to be married with his Brasilian fiancee. I agree Floro and the CSA, should be lobbying hard for Ottawa to make an exemption to get his residency status ASAP.

Sadly he's already engaged and soon to be married with his Brasilian fiancee. I agree Floro and the CSA, should be lobbying hard for Ottawa to make an exemption to get his residency status ASAP.

He has to wait 5 years to fulfill the FIFA requirement (early 2016). I don't think he'll have a problem getting citizenship by then.

With the FIFA residency rules I don't think there is any need to fast track him as he has only lived here slightly more than 2 years. I think with the normal progression of things he should have his Canadian citizenship by the time he has completed the 5 year FIFA residency requirement.

The bad news is that he's absolutely tearing it up, and will either attract foreign interest, or the allure of moving away from his beloved Vancouver might win him over, thus killing the whole idea. Given the volatility of MLS teams, somehow the prospect of banking on a team to hang on to one player for 5 years seems risky, although it'd be excellent gravy.

I am not sure who said this, but "NCAA is where technical soccer players go to die". NCAA is the last place you want to go if you want to become a soccer player. It's a waste of valuable development time.

I cannot agree more and I can't say it often enough. Maybe the college system works for some sports, but it sure as helle doesn't work for soccer!

Adding Camilo would be outstanding.

We cannot score for ****. We got 2 PK's in our last 7 Gold Cup games. 1 goal in a friendly in like 10 matches this year. Outside of Cuba, we got a sneaky goal vs Panama and a late who gives a **** goal vs Honduras when they slayed us.

Pls pls pls pls pls stay in Canada.

MLS just made up this "retention" rule. SKC used it on Zusi. Basically you get an extra $225,000 off cap to spend on retaining a player(s). That would double Camilo's salary and likely keep him happy for a couple more years.

MLS generally hold out for a decent fee, and the typical clubs that could pay a decent fee (EPL, CL) probably wouldn't be interested in Camilo. If he goes by way of transfer, I could see someone like FC Zurich being the destination, and probably not until he's played a couple more years to get his Canada eligibility.

MLS just made up this "retention" rule. SKC used it on Zusi. Basically you get an extra $225,000 off cap to spend on retaining a player(s). That would double Camilo's salary and likely keep him happy for a couple more years.

MLS generally hold out for a decent fee, and the typical clubs that could pay a decent fee (EPL, CL) probably wouldn't be interested in Camilo. If he goes by way of transfer, I could see someone like FC Zurich being the destination, and probably not until he's played a couple more years to get his Canada eligibility.

Unless VWFC decide to trade him to an American club in MLS 6 months before the 5-year mark to make room for a young Scottish striker ... just kidding, just kidding. :)

If he gets permanent residency and then citizenship and maintains a resisdence in Canada then it doesn't matter if he is transferred to another team/country. He would have to be pretty committed to becoming a Canadian citizen and playing for the national team to do so but I think both having Canadian citizenship and an international career would be pretty big incentives.

Just watching the US playing against El Salvador and wondered if there are any US players who have US born parents.

I'm pretty sure the whole starting lineup has American born parents except for the two Mexican players and Donovan's father. I didn't see the 2nd half so I don't know who they subbed on.

Edited by Reality Bites