Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

Gershon Koffie now has his permanent residency card, so he is one step closer (albeit a few years away) to being eligible for the CMNT.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02/koffie-canadian-residency-card

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02/home-away-home

I didn't think he would be eligible due to his youth caps with Ghana, but according to some tweets I have read, could be otherwise. Who knows if its true or not though. Guess we will just have to wait a couple years to find out (unless he moves over seas, or this is just posturing to get Ghana to call him up to the senior team)

Tyler Green ‏@tylergreenFC

Just spoke to a rep at the Canadian Soccer Association who says that Gershon Koffie would be able to play for the #CanMNT

https://twitter.com/tylergreenFC/status/306522239581429762

Tyler Green ‏@tylergreenFC

Koffie needs to receive his full Canadian citizenship, passport & not play in a FIFA 'A' level match. Youth (ie U20s) does not count to that

https://twitter.com/tylergreenFC/status/306522584877502464

• 4 months later...
Larsun just tweeted that Eckersley is looking to gain permanent residency to free up an international spot. Can't argue that he could add depth to fullback

Definitely! We don't really have a natural right back good enough for the national team... I can't even think of any current Canadian player who naturally plays right back professionally, but I'm sure there's someone...

Definitely! We don't really have a natural right back good enough for the national team... I can't even think of any current Canadian player who naturally plays right back professionally, but I'm sure there's someone...

Edson Edward and Antonio Rago in FC Edmonton. Edward's had a good year, actually.

Larsun just tweeted that Eckersley is looking to gain permanent residency to free up an international spot. Can't argue that he could add depth to fullback

It would be nice for him to gain temporary health status first. I've never seen somebody injured for so long from celebrating a goal.

pardon my ignorance, but who is that?

That my friend is our heir (hopefully) to JDG! A DM who can also score the odd goal, defends like a greyhound chasing a rabbit, wins the majority of 50/50 challenges, out positions and hip checks larger opponents, is showing nice touch on through balls and kicks ass in a lot of other ways. Gershon Koffie.

That my friend is our heir (hopefully) to JDG! A DM who can also score the odd goal, defends like a greyhound chasing a rabbit, wins the majority of 50/50 challenges, out positions and hip checks larger opponents, is showing nice touch on through balls and kicks ass in a lot of other ways. Gershon Koffie.

Sounds a lot like Will Johnson.

Sounds a lot like Will Johnson.

Will is better at set plays like FKs around the box, Gersh is better at recovering. I'm greedy, I'll take both for our MNT. As to the NASL it is a viable place to draw from and probably as good as B3/4 in Germany. Maybe a bit higher but I do think we should focus on MLS level and up if we want to improve.

Will is better at set plays like FKs around the box, Gersh is better at recovering. I'm greedy, I'll take both for our MNT. As to the NASL it is a viable place to draw from and probably as good as B3/4 in Germany. Maybe a bit higher but I do think we should focus on MLS level and up if we want to improve.

The way a lot of team's are playing these days, you could have a couple of versatile guys like this run your midfield and it allows your attacking players to stay forward more.

That's pretty much how Portland works with Chara playing next to Johnson and then it's Valeri usually wide right or sometimes he drops into the hole behind the forwards. So you have one players that's more defensive (Chara), one that's box-to-box (Johnson), and one that's more attack minded (Valeri).

In Canada terms that would mean you'd play Kofi next to Johnson and then find someone to occupy the playmaker role (which we never have).

MLS is on par with B3 and League One and you could argue a couple of the poorest B2/Championship teams, but NASL on par with B3? nope.

MLS is on par with B3 and League One and you could argue a couple of the poorest B2/Championship teams, but NASL on par with B3? nope.

Please... you could argue a couple of the poorer B2 teams? Montreal would beat Regensburg easily imo as an example. To say MLS is on par with B3 or League One is pretty insulting to how good the league actually is. If you told me it was on par with League One 5 years ago I'd probably agree. But it's 2013 and I'd say MLS is at least on par with the Championship now.

Please... you could argue a couple of the poorer B2 teams? Montreal would beat Regensburg easily imo as an example. To say MLS is on par with B3 or League One is pretty insulting to how good the league actually is. If you told me it was on par with League One 5 years ago I'd probably agree. But it's 2013 and I'd say MLS is at least on par with the Championship now.

Why is it insulting?

If MLS is on par with the Championship, does that mean the Mexican Liga is on par with the Premiership? Does that put the Brazilian Série A or the Argentina Primera División as best in the world? If so, then Ive got these magic beans for sale, thought you might be interested....

MLS is a very unique league where on the same team you can have players who might be good enough for the Championship playing with guys who aren't good enough for league 2. But it wouldn't be honest to say an MLS team could survive in the Championship, but cant win the CCC. MLS is getting better, but we are not at that level yet.

Why is it insulting?

If MLS is on par with the Championship, does that mean the Mexican Liga is on par with the Premiership? Does that put the Brazilian Série A or the Argentina Primera División as best in the world? If so, then Ive got these magic beans for sale, thought you might be interested....

MLS is a very unique league where on the same team you can have players who might be good enough for the Championship playing with guys who aren't good enough for league 2. But it wouldn't be honest to say an MLS team could survive in the Championship, but cant win the CCC. MLS is getting better, but we are not at that level yet.

No, the Liga MX isn't on par with the Premier League but it is certainly better than the Championship, it can exist somewhere in the middle you know.. same goes for the Brazilian and Argentinian Premier Leagues.

The second part of what you say is right and completely true though about the uniqueness of talent on rosters. However, if a MLS team were hypothetically in the Championship they wouldn't have restrictions on their roster size so that argument doesn't really fly and they most definitely survive, hell even with current roster restrictions I'd bet that all but a few MLS teams (Toronto and Chivas, maybe a few others but from matches I've watched they stick out) would survive the Championship. Those same roster restrictions are the reason a MLS team hasn't won the CCL... so it's not really a fair argument to talk about continental competition but I'll tell you what RSL came DAMN close and should have beat Monterrey with those same roster restrictions.

It's insulting because I don't even think that a team at the top of League One could make the MLS playoffs and you're saying its on par with it. When I look at an MLS starting XI I definitely don't think "3rd division England"...

Also, and without picking out raw teenagers.. what players on MLS rosters aren't good enough for League Two?

Edited by Keegan