Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

Absolutely no need to panic over this result...too many people expected a repeat of 94 where we tied brazil pre-wc....sorry folks that canadian team almost qualified for USA 94 and this team was at best a b/c Canadian squad... We had several players out injuried and several players in the lineup that barely palyed this past season. This was just something we can take as experience. some young guys got to play in front of a massive crowd and see just how far they need to progress to compete at this level. The next game will be tough as well, but once september comes, maybe we can see a much stronger Canadian squad. Yes Hastings, Stalteri and Onstad are near the end of their time with the MNT but give them the respect for showing up whenever they get called. Even having some veteran leadership on the bench when WCQ starts again is not a bad thing. Did you not notice how Argentina had Veron and a few other older players. If our veterans can understand that they now will be taking sub or dressing room leadership roles, then there is no reason to toss them aside totally. Having Onstad around to work with younger keepers is not a bad thing IMO. If Italy as defending WC champs can get pounded by Brazil 3-0 at the Confed Cup, Canada can get smashed 5-0 in a friendly and still learn from it.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets face it we know we were not going to beat Argentina Now that we lost hopefully we can now se were we stand now Lets face it we are a long way from doing any damage against the Big Boys but if we continue to play friendlies on FIFA DATES WE CAN ONLY IMPROVE. cANNOT WAIT FOR Peru in TO and Honduras in MTL

You're right getting a result against Argentina was next to impossible. For the life of me, I don't see the value of playing guys like Onstad, Hastings and Stalteri who have done well in representing Canada in the past, but bring zero added value for the future. The kids who came on in the second half were hungry, and the experience it allotted should have been offered to more of them.

For anyone who's freaking out: have you ever seen what happens to the U.S. when they bring a B-squad to the Copa America and have to play motivated South American sides IN South America?

And for those who think we should have gone all young: getting thrashed in front of 80,000 is, believe it or not, not really useful as a team building exercise from a tactical, technical, or social standpoint. This was a friendly in the truest sense of the word. We were the sacrificial lamb to be offered up as a nation wishes luck to its departing heroes. As far as I'm concerned that some of our senior servants got a chance to grace a historic field against some of the best players in the world was absolutely the right choice from our management. The young kids haven't earned that yet. Best to keep them hungry and show that years of dedication will be worth it. We've got THREE YEARS (and hopefully many games) to get our team organized before the next "real" cycle. Gold Cup should be seen as a part of that build-up and not an objective in its own right.

For anyone who's freaking out: have you ever seen what happens to the U.S. when they bring a B-squad to the Copa America and have to play motivated South American sides IN South America?

And for those who think we should have gone all young: getting thrashed in front of 80,000 is, believe it or not, not really useful as a team building exercise from a tactical, technical, or social standpoint. This was a friendly in the truest sense of the word. We were the sacrificial lamb to be offered up as a nation wishes luck to its departing heroes. As far as I'm concerned that some of our senior servants got a chance to grace a historic field against some of the best players in the world was absolutely the right choice from our management. The young kids haven't earned that yet. Best to keep them hungry and show that years of dedication will be worth it. We've got THREE YEARS (and hopefully many games) to get our team organized before the next "real" cycle. Gold Cup should be seen as a part of that build-up and not an objective in its own right.

Well then, lets keep on accepting mediocrity, and keep the status quo.

I watched the Argentina-USA game at the Copa America, they were not dominated anywhere near as badly as we were. The game was actually still respectable at 2-1 until the middle of the second half when Bradley took out Ben Olsen for Eddie Gaven and torpedoed his teams chances of competing for the final half hour.

I only had a chance to watch the first half. They played better in the 2nd half perhaps? Yet it really wasn't a football contest.. it was Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals. Earlier I caught some of Portugal and Cape Verdi Islands and it was the same imbalance..

Yes, Stalteri is done. Has been done for awhile. Gladbach found this out, what did he play for them, 3 games this yr. Friend is limited... he needs big support, and fast wingers to cross him the ball.. Canada has never used him right, and probably can't. They shoulda started more young guys... what they expect to do, compete? May as well play the young guys and crash and burn with them. Hastings, Stalteri, Onstad... come on, it's time to move on here. Onstad is 42.. that's crazy. Wasting opportunities for the young players to gain experience. I suppose it was a reward for them for service rendered.

I hope the CSA learned that games like this are useless. We sent a bad team and played some vets as a ‘reward’ and got embarrassed. Canada shouldn’t even try to play nations like Argentina when we can’t even beat Jamaica anymore. Being embarrassed does nothing positive for a team I am going to predict we will come out really against Venezuela.

It's a real shame that De Guzman couldn't play.

As others have already asked, why did we start Onstad, Stalteri and Hastings? Was it their collective testimonial match? I for one think it would have been much wiser to play some kids, let them get the butterflies out of their system in regards to playing a majoring footballing power, and have them more calm and confident come the 2014 World Cup qualifiers (which are only two years from now). Instead, we got to see the likes of Stalteri basically spinning in circles (and watching the opposition fly by) for 90 minutes. If we're going to get spanked, fine, but at least let some kids learn something from it.

I understand the idea of starting with the steady ol' veterans, to keep things calm, but why not substitute more youth in during the second half?

But the thing is....

Balance Onstad being 42 against our depth at keeper being so shallow it makes the kids pool look like the Mariana Trench. Options being a relative unknown who isn't getting regular games or some guys who are (let's be honest) borderline professionals.

We just really have to bust some balls and start turning out talent.

We need to play a lot, especially on every FIFA date. As for the Argentina match, I suppose I was hoping for less of a beating, perhaps 0-2. But really what should we really expect when Canada gets only 2 practices and not even on actual stadium pitch?

The match highlighted the difference between MLS and World-Class. De Rosario seemed okay at times, but not in the same league of an elite player that can crack the lineup of Barcelona, Real Madrid, or Liverpool. I know I shouldn't expect too much offense when we play 4-5-1, but most of the time I notice our players hanging on to the ball far too long, or just didn't know what to do under some intense pressure.

Chalk it up to a motivated WC team to expose what's lacking in our team, and let's work on it.

I hope the CSA learned that games like this are useless. We sent a bad team and played some vets as a ‘reward’ and got embarrassed. Canada shouldn’t even try to play nations like Argentina when we can’t even beat Jamaica anymore. Being embarrassed does nothing positive for a team I am going to predict we will come out really against Venezuela.

I disagree, not that this is realistic but if we played only top 20 teams 4 or 5 times each year, we'd get thrashed, grab a result here and there and when it came to teams like jamaica and costa rica our players would romp, they'd be more accustomed to a level of play beyond anyone in concacaf save mexico and the americans. I think we should always, ALWAYS, play the best teams we can, the only thing I can think of is literally a confidence builder and you'd still want to surround that with top teams, if you only had one you'd for sure play a good team then a confidence booster. At best if an extra friendly before this game were possible against anybody it might have helped but I'd never throw a game with an opponent like this away.

We need to play a lot, especially on every FIFA date. As for the Argentina match, I suppose I was hoping for less of a beating, perhaps 0-2. But really what should we really expect when Canada gets only 2 practices and not even on actual stadium pitch?

The match highlighted the difference between MLS and World-Class. De Rosario seemed okay at times, but not in the same league of an elite player that can crack the lineup of Barcelona, Real Madrid, or Liverpool. I know I shouldn't expect too much offense when we play 4-5-1, but most of the time I notice our players hanging on to the ball far too long, or just didn't know what to do under some intense pressure.

Chalk it up to a motivated WC team to expose what's lacking in our team, and let's work on it.

I dont recall the last time time that I have ever disagreed with a post from Jake in all the 10 or so years that this forum has existed. Actually, its not that I disagree with the fact that we lacked proper preparation and the notion MLS is not at the same class as the environments where the likes Aguerro, Tevez, De Maria, Higuain..etc ply their trade. Rather, its that what is suggested are more of excuses than anything else. We could have played 30 friendlies this year leading to that game and have had all of our starters available and the final result might not have been that different from what we saw and whether you lose 3-0, 4-0, or 5-0 doesn't make much difference. And as far as MLS, well if we had players of the quality of M. Rodrígues, Mascherano, Di María, Tevez, Higuaín, Messi and Milito then they wouldn't be in MLS. There might not be a single Canadian player from the last 25 years that would have been able to crack the Argentinian national side over that period. In fact, there probably wouldn't be many from all of Concacaf.

Point is, there is just too much of talent gap between the two sides and that's because of player development and being in a culture and environment that breeds excellence in this sport. We will never develop in our lifetime, players of that quality consistently. we might one day produce one or two but most Canadian kids dream of being hockey stars. Since that probably wont change in our lifetime, we cannot compare ourselves to Argentina. So, yes, I don't see the point in playing sides like this because I don't see what can be learned (although it would have been a fun trip). We have to work on beating Honduras and CRC first.

its disappointing for a positive cause he's the only one I can think of coming close to deserving this kinda praise but maybe peters got on a few people's radar, he didn't do a terrible lot but the whole midfield improved with his hustle and speed around, I think he made a good tackle and I was paticularly impressed by a great long pass from central midfield mostly cause I'm more used to him as a natural wing player whose not the best crosser. ohhhh and I still say bring on the best

Well I think it was definitely worth playing this match.

We kept ourselves in order, we worked hard and pressured up high, we even had some intelligent tactics, the right ones as I see it (Argentina was forced to use long balls over the midfield to their strikers, who we then could not contain, but that is another story). We were outmatched in talent. We also made some dumb errors on the few plays where we had a chance to threaten. We really should not have given up the fourth, we were doing okay at 3-0 in the 2nd half and getting some confidence up. We were not crisp on the ball but at least tried to keep possession. I think it was a decent learning experience.

I think we are going to do well vs. Venezuela, just watch.

I agree with unnamed trailist and Free Kick. I thought that Canada showed a tactical improvement over previous friendlies that I've watched, and while we commited some bad errors we actually held it together well considering the circumstances. I think that we're lucky that Messi didn't come one. That would have really hurt.

One question: does anyone know who the two Canadians were in the stands? One of them had a mexican wrestling mask on. Made me laugh. Also, the spanish commentators over here were calling Imhof, De Guzman all night. Pretty damn stupid considering that he played here in Spain for 3 years.

Also, the spanish commentators over here were calling Imhof, De Guzman all night. Pretty damn stupid considering that he played here in Spain for 3 years.

Oddly, the English commentator on ESPN in the UK also referred to one of the Canadians as De Guzman in the first 5 minutes. It could have been Imhof. I didn't hear De Guzman's name mentioned again though, so they may have discovered their mistake.

The result was about what I expected, obviously missing JDG makes a huge difference but I think the game was worth playing! There is no margin for error against a good side like Argentina and we were punished for a couple of mistakes! I stated before the match that if they used a backline with Hastings, Hainault and Stalteri, they will run right by us and that was the case! This match clearly identifies our need for at least one CB with some pace (Nana perhaps?) Peters provided a spark coming off the bench I thought, he seems to be rounding into a more complete footballer from what I've seen this season! I don't like DeRo being played wide right like he was in the first half, I thought he was better in the second half though and for all you haterz out there, who do you play ahead of him? As stated, this has got to be the last of Stalteri, Hastings and Onstad, great guys who have served the program well but we HAVE to start playing the younger guys who will be around for the next WCQ! Even though we took a beating I think it was worth playing this high profile match, too bad we couldn't have put our A team on the pitch!

I agree with those who say we had it easy this game. We were played as if we were minnows and other than a couple chances, a couple of opportunities for chances in their box, and a couple of serious challenges, there wasn't much of Canada in this game.

I still love the fact we had this friendly. The exposure for the team here at home was paramount but from the players standpoint must have been brilliant as well.

Can't wait for Saturday.

I put my thoughts (or at least some of them) up on the blog, which you should be able to access under the blog tag at the top of the page or through the blog entries that appear on the right of the page when you first get to the forum - or alternatively click on the number of blog entries in my profile to the left.

Point is, there is just too much of talent gap between the two sides and that's because of player development and being in a culture and environment that breeds excellence in this sport. We will never develop in our lifetime, players of that quality consistently. we might one day produce one or two but most Canadian kids dream of being hockey stars. Since that probably wont change in our lifetime, we cannot compare ourselves to Argentina. So, yes, I don't see the point in playing sides like this because I don't see what can be learned (although it would have been a fun trip). We have to work on beating Honduras and CRC first.

I see your point. While I am aware that Argentina has the pedigree that we can never attain in football, I also believe that more friendlies and more funding would help our team perhaps play much better and end up with a better scoreline. (Like when we lost to Poland 0-1, rather than the poorly-played match against Macedonia.) Look at the USA. Not much football culture, but I think they would have done better than what we did.

Nevertheless I would agree that we should work on beating Honduras and Costa Rica. Especially Honduras.

We were thoroughly schooled by a team full of stars, looking to impress their fans and more importantly their coach. Didn't expect much from this frankly as we were missing a few key players. Disappointed in the form of Klukowski and Friend, and Simpson to a degree. Time to move on from the 2000 Gold Cup vets there Mr Hart.

I doubt we will play to many CONCACAF sides that will close us down like that in our third. Given the circumstances, Stalteri and Hastings did pretty well keeping the ball on the ground and trying to slow the tempo. This type of approach could grind out a result in some places in Central America if we could limit the quality chances. Unfortunately, it's not like it was that hot there and we probably could have countered a bit more down the flanks had we tried to match their tempo. I found it interesting when Peters came in. Debateably, he's one of our better dribblers, but the minute he was able to get an inch of space, he advanced the ball in the air, straight to Friend. It was actually the most effective ball movement the entire match. I know half the Vs want us playing a low tempo, short passing possession style; but I hope that we can adjust -particularly at home- when the climate is more favorable to higher tempo, more direct play.

We were thoroughly schooled by a team full of stars, looking to impress their fans and more importantly their coach. Didn't expect much from this frankly as we were missing a few key players. Disappointed in the form of Klukowski and Friend, and Simpson to a degree. Time to move on from the 2000 Gold Cup vets there Mr Hart.

Thanks for saving me the typing Ed. Although I admired Simpson's aggressiveness. The most disappointing thing for me were the amateurish turnovers of possession. The Argentines were probably laughing at us.

Archived