Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I hope something can be worked out. Julian is an absolute necessity

As it's right in the middle of TFC's season - and likely a very busy time with the Canadian Championship likely having to be finished before the World Cup - I'd say Julian's paying job should get priority. These aren't FIFA dates, and for Canada it's very early in the 2014 World Cup cycle. I could see perhaps if it was a mid-week game in Canada, but Buenos Aires is a long flight.

As it's right in the middle of TFC's season - and likely a very busy time with the Canadian Championship likely having to be finished before the World Cup - I'd say Julian's paying job should get priority. These aren't FIFA dates, and for Canada it's very early in the 2014 World Cup cycle. I could see perhaps if it was a mid-week game in Canada, but Buenos Aires is a long flight.

If there is a work stoppage, maybe not. Also, since the NCC is run by the CSA, I'm sure they can make sure it doesn't conflict with the Argentina date (especially since they'd want to promote that big time).

yeah try and tell him....."sorry you're going to have to play San Jose....sorry about missing the Argentina game...."
I'm sure that's exactly what Preki will tell him! I think it's been clear that the kind of BS that Guevera constantly pulled is over.

There's no way way that Preki is going to release first-team players in the middle of the season, for a friendly on the other side of the world, on a non-international day. I can't imagine that Hart would even ask them to!

As for a work stoppage ... that seems pretty unlikely - though if it does occur, then obviously MLS and USL/NASL players would be available.

I don't want to put a damper on all this happy news but it has been suggested to me by someone in the know that no one should be booking a trip to Buenos Aires just yet.

I personally believe that this match is going to happen, based on the info I've gathered from a couple of sources, but apparently it is not signed, sealed and delivered yet and we all know how these kinds of negotiations can fall apart. So, for now, I have fingers firmly crossed.

What I do know is that the CSA is pushing to book two matches during this May window and are negotiating with a number of countries to make that happen.

I'm sure that's exactly what Preki will tell him! I think it's been clear that the kind of BS that Guevera constantly pulled is over.

There's no way way that Preki is going to release first-team players in the middle of the season, for a friendly on the other side of the world, on a non-international day. I can't imagine that Hart would even ask them to!

As for a work stoppage ... that seems pretty unlikely - though if it does occur, then obviously MLS and USL/NASL players would be available.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. If switch Guevara and Honduras with De Guzman and Canada you'd have a different opinion. Guy had nagging injuries all year still played as many games as he could plus wanted to qualify his country for the world cup.

I think some people want to apply his pre-standing reputation as a trouble maker to basically anything that happened in Toronto, but it simply didn't play out that way. He was very popular with his teammates and the coaches.

I don't want to put a damper on all this happy news but it has been suggested to me by someone in the know that no one should be booking a trip to Buenos Aires just yet.

I personally believe that this match is going to happen, based on the info I've gathered from a couple of sources, but apparently it is not signed, sealed and delivered yet and we all know how these kinds of negotiations can fall apart. So, for now, I have fingers firmly crossed.

What I do know is that the CSA is pushing to book two matches during this May window and are negotiating with a number of countries to make that happen.

Would the other friendly be in South America as well or could one of these be at BMO (even though the CSA said they would both be in September)

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. If switch Guevara and Honduras with De Guzman and Canada you'd have a different opinion. Guy had nagging injuries all year still played as many games as he could plus wanted to qualify his country for the world cup.
Guevera was routinely away longer than FIFA allows for a game in the same confederation. At times he travelled with the team back to Honduras, before heading back to Toronto; rather than simply jumping on a plane to Toronto. He even missed one MLS game to a go to a Honduras game that he was suspended for, and could only watch. It was quite clear he was being handled very carefully - and that he required special handling. Yes, at time he was brilliant, and an asset to Toronto, but you can't ignore that there was a different set of rules for him, than anyone else.

It's also very clear that Preki doesn't believe in that. So there is no way he's going to be releasing our DP for friendlies on regular dates.

It's quite clear that they mean to bring the European players to the camp in May - the same way they brought the North American players to the current camp.

Guevara also traveled back to Toronto immediately following the match that clinched the WC spot for Honduras.

The entire Honduran team was meeting with their country's president, while Guevara made his way back to play (I believe) San Jose in a crucial game for TFC's playoff hopes. The Honduran president had the pull to keep Wilson Palacios back from Spurs to join in on the celebrations, while the captain spurned the party to help his club side out.

Just sayin'.

Although Guevera had his moments at TFC I was not sorry to see him go! That game he missed for TFC when he was suspended for Honduras bordered on being ridiculous, it was a key game for TFC as well! I don't think Preki will be as willing to release players, one more reason why this camp in Florida for NA based plyers is very important!

I guess if you are a Honduran fan you would call Guevara staying with his teamates while suspended "a great example of leadership". The presence of your captain around the team at that critical time can be really important IMO. If JDG would've done that, everyone on this board would've praised him.

I think he was right to stay with his team in these circumstances and the only person/entity to blame is MLS for allowing such situation to happen.

Guevara also traveled back to Toronto immediately following the match that clinched the WC spot for Honduras.
He did, however that was the same trip, where he'd travelled to Honduras to watch the October 10th game that he was suspended from (and they still lost it, even with him cheering them on). The October 10th game was in San Jose, and we drew. Had we won that game, we would have made the play-offs with 41 points, ahead of Real Salt Lake. Guevara's unnecessary absense in that game, could have cost us the season.

In addition, his early departure for the June 6th qualifer, in advance of when he was allowed to be released under FIFA rules, may have been a factor in our 2-0 loss to Vancouver on June 2nd ... which by all rights should have cost us the Canadian Championship. (though Guevara certainly performed for the miracle in Montreal!). Under FIFA rules (as I understand them at least), Guevara shouldn't have been released for the June 2nd game.

Guevara was a critical part of TFC's successes. And I think that we loose a lot by not having him. But his playing fast and loose with his absences may have impacted the team. Don't get me wrong though ... I will miss him.

its the first day on a new forum and we're already seeing threads go wildly off topic.

Suffice it to say that none of us know for a fact if TFC players will be or won't be available for Canada when they play in South America in May because we have no idea what the MLS schedule is going to look like that week.

If, by some miracle, TFC is not playing that week, then I think it would be excellent if guys like JDG or DeRo were released to take part. If they are playing that week, it would not surprise me if TFC doesn't release them OR if TFC and Stephen Hart come to an understanding that he can only have a limited number of TFC players (i.e. maybe only JDG but no one else).

It has been confirmed that the 2nd match in May will be AWAY.

Our only home games in 2010 will be in September

I wonder if one of them will be that return Iceland match in Canada that was supposed to happen. Post World Cup though they are probably already going to be starting Euro-qualifiers by September 2010.

Getting a game against Argentina would be a coup. I would like to see a game here at home prior to the WC. The pre-game vs. Brazil (WC Champs) in 1994 where we drew is one of my fondest soccer memories. Too bad we have no home games until September.

That would be the perfect time for the CSA to cash in and get some money for the team right in the build up to SA, ah well. Argentina away is a better experience for the team

Archived