Camp Poutine 24'

Shway

^And no mention of Canada.

Looks like once again we are going to be too slow and reactive and will miss out on arranging a match against anyone decent. Whether we are resting on our laurels or trying our best, it's not good enough to not be able to pull something together again. Hopefully my negativity here proves to be unwarranted.

44 minutes ago, RS said:

Slovenia will be in the U.S.

Interesting! Slovenia's league is on break until early February.

Cool for US fans that they are playing in San Antonio instead of going back to Austin/Frisco/Houston.

Unfortunately, the Slovenian release doesn't give us any more info or hints about other matches. https://www.nzs.si/novica/Slovenija_leto_evropskega_prvenstva_zacenja_v_ZDA?id=57772

However, the original tabloid rumour was that the Slovenian team would play one match in Houston and a second match in the Miami area on ~January 23rd:

https://planetnogomet.si/reprezentanca/kek-slovenija-obisk-zda-houston-miami/

...but I feel like if that second part is true, that's likely to be against Honduras or Guatemala and not us. 😅

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wishlist - Canada manages to get sloppy seconds as the 2nd opponent for Honduras and Slovenia in Texas.

Reality - Canada plays (and loses) two friendlies against Ventura County Fusion in California.

Worse! A scrimmage where half the #CanMNT squad plays the other half!

3 minutes ago, kacbru said:

CMNT official - "We weren't really keeping score.  The most important thing is that the players had fun."

Are oranges slices in the budget?

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Worse! A scrimmage where half the #CanMNT squad plays the other half!

Are oranges slices in the budget?

They instruct the 3rd string keeper to run to the market during the first half and pretend to scan the oranges at the self checkout to save a couple bucks. Groceries aren’t cheap in 2023.

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And Borjan immediately resigns his new position. 

Too soon? 

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

he’ll come back with a shopping bag full of smokes for the boys. Real leader 

I just realised that the Slovakian league is also on break until February!

Chest Pump Canmnt GIF by Red River Rising

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I just realised that the Slovakian league is also on break until February!

Chest Pump Canmnt GIF by Red River Rising

Milan has had a fantastic career with Canada but if he is selected for camp poutine I will lose the last bit of remaining hope I have in this program.

Borjan could have stayed at Red Star and played in the Champions League and I still wouldn't want him between the sticks in this one. It's nothing personal and it's not even form related, we just need to spread the caps around at this point.

Has to be Crepeau/St. Clair/Sirois for this one.....if it even happens 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Milan... if he is selected for camp poutine I will lose the last bit of remaining hope I have in this program.

Just you watch when we start Borjan and Arfield and win all our Camp Poutine games and that dream duo get us past Trinidad and Tobago in March too! ;)

Penali GIF by sportmts

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It looks like the USMNT are not playing a second match. Only Slovenia.

It feels unlikely that other European teams will travel to the US. That news also kills our chances if getting a friendly against the USMNT (but that was always unlikely).

That's odd. Why would the USA only want to play a single match? Not really like them, is it?

I dunno....this is feeling like the past few windows where he have declared we may consider playing a friendly but already the options are dwindling quicker than we can get the word "friendly" out of our mouths. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

That's odd. Why would the USA only want to play a single match? Not really like them, is it?

I dunno....this is feeling like the past few windows where he have declared we may consider playing a friendly but already the options are dwindling quicker than we can get the word "friendly" out of our mouths. 

But Jason Devos will be doing all that he can to arrange a friendly like he did around the time of the hinted matches against Saudi and Korea.

Just now, Stoppage Time said:

But Jason Devos will be doing all that he can to arrange a friendly like he did around the time of the hinted matches against Saudi and Korea.

This guy has my sympathy. I am sure he is doing all he can. I am also sure he needs a ton of help. We have the best of intentions while being 3 steps behind everyone else. And a lack of resources once again comes down to money. 

If we were Haiti or Trinidad and Tobago, I could understand it. But we are Canada and yet we seem to be no more capable organizing things than the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, or a nation being governed by FIFA normalization committee

On 11/28/2023 at 10:06 AM, Obinna said:

This guy has my sympathy. I am sure he is doing all he can. I am also sure he needs a ton of help. We have the best of intentions while being 3 steps behind everyone else. And a lack of resources once again comes down to money. 

If we were Haiti or Trinidad and Tobago, I could understand it. But we are Canada and yet we seem to be no more capable organizing things than the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, or a nation being governed by FIFA normalization committee

Yet the CWNT will have played four friendlies in the past 30 days or so for Sinclair's farewell.  What happened to equality? Is there not supposed to be a balance of friendlies for men and women?

15 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Yet the CWNT will have played four friendlies in the past 30 days or so for Sinclair's farewell.  What happened to equality? Is there not supposed to be a balance of friendlies for men and women?

The problem is that Christine Sinclair retirement friendlies will draw over 35,000 to BC Place.  A men’s friendly against a non big name opponent will not.  Also it’s a very different demographic that goes to women’s games.  

31 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

They are probably using the profits to help fund the CANMNT 

Edited by narduch