Pacific FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Daniels, Manneh and Sellouf the only ones unconfirmed now. Everyone else returning or gone. Didic and Aparicio leaving are both big shoes to fill. Glad we don’t also have to replace Young. Hearing we may have picked up Sean Melvin to replace Baskett. 

19 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Djenairo Daniels departing Pacific FC

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/thank-you-dj

Not too surprising but if he was Canadian I bet he would have been given another season. Development was slow, but I did see some improvement. If we get Zanatta and Moore as striker replacements I think we'll be better off. I hope we keep Sellouf too

Huge for Pacific that he is returning. If Sellouf can find some consistency, he could be the best player in the league. After being such a game changer off the bench, can he have the same impact as a starter and really carry the team?

I hope they can extend his contract with a view to a sale, as opposed to just losing him for free next year.

37 minutes ago, masster said:

Huge for Pacific that he is returning. If Sellouf can find some consistency, he could be the best player in the league. After being such a game changer off the bench, can he have the same impact as a starter and really carry the team?

I hope they can extend his contract with a view to a sale, as opposed to just losing him for free next year.

Yeah, he seems more than capable of playing at a higher level. He was really dynamic off the bench.

pretty sad that at 26 instead of climbing hes dropped to a sub in the third tier of scotland...is this a player who has already peaked? had 8 goals 4 assists in the second tier in 21-22...anyway much needed move getting out of scotland

Seriously doubt he was getting another fully pro contract in Scotland. The club that was interested in taking him on loan recently was Clyde who are bottom of the fourth tier and semi-professional. Even allowing for the fact it's Scotland's chimpion, the Daily Record, that is involved and they think British Columbia is his home town, I found this part a bit odd:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/hamilton-accies-ace-dario-zanatta-32011665

...The 28-year-old has signed for an undisclosed fee, with add-ons and incentives attached to the deal for Accies...

My understanding is that Accies were very much looking to get rid of him so surprised the few months that are left on his contract weren't just mutually ended. Guess the fee mentioned might be what is needed to pay the extra balance of his relatively high salary by CanPL standards.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

pretty sad that at 26 instead of climbing hes dropped to a sub in the third tier of scotland...is this a player who has already peaked? had 8 goals 4 assists in the second tier in 21-22...anyway much needed move getting out of scotland

When Dario left Canada we only had 3 professional teams. He was close, but couldn't quite find a contract here. Now the landscape in Canada has changed and he's returning after ~250 appearances and 35+ goal contributions in the top 2 tiers of Scottish soccer and you find that sad?

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

When Dario left Canada we only had 3 professional teams. He was close, but couldn't quite find a contract here. Now the landscape in Canada has changed and he's returning after ~250 appearances and 35+ goal contributions in the top 2 tiers of Scottish soccer and you find that sad?

Zanatta left because the Whitecaps wrote his contract wrong and failed to have him locked in to their system the way they thought they did. Lenarduzzi openly admitted they had to go back and rewrite a number of their academy contracts. Anyway, Zanatta had interest from Scotland and he was available for free so he left, not because he couldn't find a contract here. The Whitecaps wanted to sign him but couldn't.

Worth noting also maybe that when Dario Zanatta moved to Hearts in 2015 there were actually eight fully professional teams operating in Canada given FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury were in a D2 USSF sanctioned league at that point and there were three MLS reserve teams operating as separate clubs in the USL at the D3 level.

There almost certainly would have been significantly more than eight in total if the CSA hadn't imposed the moratorium on further expansion into leagues like the NASL and USL back around 2010. There are reasonable arguments that can be made for why the emergence of CanPL was a good thing without outright rewriting history like that.

If theyre patient its one last shot for gazdov to step up and be a strong #1...otherwise its melvin whos been a solid pro...merriman will be feeling the pressure in his third season with two fourth place finishes and no finals appearances so cant fool around with the gk position