Pacific FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It's a very long inlet so I remember reading there were a few entry points were the depth is reasonable. I don't have the numbers in front of me. 

I had friends who used to live out at Willis Point, and that would be the logical line. But the cost of a bridge, which would cross for a bit more than a km, would be fairly astronomical, never mind driving a double lane road through a regional park, the reaction of those living out there, and then providing a road to the other side, which does not exist. We're talking about a project that would cost over 2 billion CDN.

The plan the BC government ruled out a few years ago had a road go a few km west of the Malahat as an alternative. 

Victoria has the problem of having a metro district with no leadership. Normally the larger, main municipality drives the changes, because of municipal foresight, then the rest of municipalities would fall in beside, and the province would come along with funding. But Victoria is not even the largest municipality in population in Greater Victoria. Then you'd think being the BC capital it would have this vision, but it is just the contrary: all these politicians who are there a few days a week, for sessions, who have no real commitment to the place and no vision for it, it is just where they have a place to stay while doing their MLA duties. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

This is what I was going to suggest.  I remember a pub having a fan bus coming from downtown but I guess that ended.  Having some express buses for match days would help, especially if riders can be dropped off specifically at the arena/stadium site and not the bus loop or the stop just prior to it (which shortens the stadium walk a bit).

Ideally though you build your stadium at a location where public transit already runs regularly and can easily cope with a game-related spike in demand from all conceivable directions. In London, Ont the Knights draw a lot better nowadaya with an arena close to Dundas and Richmond downtown where most LTC buses run through compared to when they were out in the cornfields on the wrong side of the 401.

Sounds like Pacific are in something similar to the latter sort of location. Definitely OK for people who drive from one side of the city but not so good for transit users and people on the other side of the city. Maybe RAP in Victoria would actually be better for Pacific if there is a genuine interest to upgrade it?

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe RAP in Victoria would actually be better for Pacific if there is a genuine interest to upgrade it?

Not an easy answer at this point, but both municipalities have very different elected councils than when the club started. In terms of location, I think it depends on time frame. RAP and a cooperative Victoria would have been ideal to start. I'm not sure that's the case moving into the future

It's always amazing how will the community support the cost of a new stadium turns in to Pacific needs to move because it's not working and lets fix VancouverIsland transportation issues or the team is toast. New stands or not, new trains or not, Pacific seems like a big success to me

Edited by SpursFlu

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Not an easy answer at this point, but both municipalities have very different elected councils than when the club started. In terms of location, I think it depends on time frame. RAP and a cooperative Victoria would have been ideal to start. I'm not sure that's the case moving into the future

As you say, the essential question is municipal will on RAP.

Related, I fully believe it would be amazing. I had friends in Fernwood (two on Chambers in fact, one a long block away) and visited that area for 25 years, it is really pleasant. You already have a stand, you'd have to extend it further down one side, then add the other side. There could be complaints from locals, but most are fairly accepting of the baseball. You would optimize revenue on the municipal site. 

As is, it is grass. You'd probably have to find a proper turf venue to train.

You'd have to share with baseball and convert from one to the other for part of the season, removing and redoing the mound.

The location is excellent, as there are nearby bars and pubs. There is no substantial venue parking but street parking. But it is easy to access from many places in Victoria, you could even walk or bike from downtown.

For me it comes down to the day a mayor of Victoria decides it might be worth "stealing" Pacific from Langford. Even the attempt would likely make Langford react and improve that venue, so it'd be beneficial either way.

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As you say, the essential question is municipal will on RAP.

Related, I fully believe it would be amazing. I had friends in Fernwood (two on Chambers in fact, one a long block away) and visited that area for 25 years, it is really pleasant. You already have a stand, you'd have to extend it further down one side, then add the other side. There could be complaints from locals, but most are fairly accepting of the baseball. You would optimize revenue on the municipal site. 

As is, it is grass. You'd probably have to find a proper turf venue to train.

You'd have to share with baseball and convert from one to the other for part of the season, removing and redoing the mound.

The location is excellent, as there are nearby bars and pubs. There is no substantial venue parking but street parking. But it is easy to access from many places in Victoria, you could even walk or bike from downtown.

For me it comes down to the day a mayor of Victoria decides it might be worth "stealing" Pacific from Langford. Even the attempt would likely make Langford react and improve that venue, so it'd be beneficial either way.

The people who run Victoria aren't putting a penny in to professional sports. Not trying to start a debate. Let's just keep it real and not waste time and energy. It's just not their thing

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The people who run Victoria aren't putting a penny in to professional sports. Not trying to start a debate. Let's just keep it real and not waste time and energy. It's just not their thing

True, but it is likely not the thing of the current council at Langford. But given an asset, paid for, and its benefits, it'd be stupid for them to not keep it up. 

Where in Canada is a city council committed to sports in a way that means quality infrastructure, from common and popular and free to elite?

4 hours ago, zaltan said:

Will the rumour Zanatta signing happen this week? or is it just a rumour

I don't know if it'll happen this week, but I think it's more than just a rumour. I wish we had more rumours though. Zanatta and Reon Moore are the only ones I can think of, but we need several more players. 

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

True, but it is likely not the thing of the current council at Langford. But given an asset, paid for, and its benefits, it'd be stupid for them to not keep it up. 

Where in Canada is a city council committed to sports in a way that means quality infrastructure, from common and popular and free to elite?

Look if you want to go swimming you're gonna get wet. If you don't want to get wet then you get what you get. Canada sucks. Everyone knows my opinion. It's just exhausting seeing everyone going around in circles on these things and then act surprised when nothing ever changes in this country. It comes down to what you value and what you're willing to do to make things happen. It is what it is

at almost 27 it was an easy decision between scottish fourth tier and canadian first tier...tons of experience so he can teach a lot to the youngsters...how much he actually has left after close to ten years as a pro and being a backup this year in the third tier of scotland is the question...hopefully it wont a manneh situation where he didnt bring much (though he did step up in the playoffs with a goal and an assist in three games)

28 minutes ago, Big_M said:

at almost 27 it was an easy decision between scottish fourth tier and canadian first tier...tons of experience so he can teach a lot to the youngsters...how much he actually has left after close to ten years as a pro and being a backup this year in the third tier of scotland is the question...hopefully it wont a manneh situation where he didnt bring much (though he did step up in the playoffs with a goal and an assist in three games)

Any word on Manneh, btw?

54 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Yeah, not sure what's happened this season. Maybe they knew he was leaving. But at close to 200 appearances in the top 2 flights in Scotland he should be bringing home some good experience. Hopefully we can help him find his form again. He's still pretty young 

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

made official

Is that his father Dante Zanatta, who used to coach in Victoria, and was coaching in Kelowna for a club and also for the UBC Okanagan team? It seems that is still his main work. So I am wondering if his family is in the interior now.

In any case, that is an interesting connection to Kelowna and the local soccer scene if anyone is thinking of putting a CPL club there.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is that his father Dante Zanatta, who used to coach in Victoria, and was coaching in Kelowna for a club and also for the UBC Okanagan team? It seems that is still his main work. So I am wondering if his family is in the interior now.

In any case, that is an interesting connection to Kelowna and the local soccer scene if anyone is thinking of putting a CPL club there.

Yes, Dante is his dad. I taught the other brother Keegan when he was at my high school.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/zanatta-returns-home-to-continue-pro-career-with-pacific-fc-8333956