Pacific FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

To the closer observers of the club:

Based on the swoon in results in the second half of this season, backing into the playoffs, and how the playoffs went, what are your thoughts on the head coaching situation?  

I certainly wouldn't get rid Merriman. I give him a ton of credit for making us as successful as we've been. Ithink he was a huge part of building our Championship team, and again a huge part of rebuilding and making us competitive again after we lost the core of that team after winning. We have far less local talent than Calgary or Hamilton unfortunately, but still my biggest criticism is the lack of youth players being brought through the system. I'd like to see a player like Marvasti on the bench and being brought on in appropriate situations or Jack Garner trusted as backup GK

48 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

I don't like to see a revolving door when it comes to coaches and I do want this league to support young coaches. If he still can't improve in the areas he needs to improve after a couple years maybe start looking at another option then.

Thanks to you and the others for the feedback.

He's not just a relatively younger coach but he is also an Island native, and with that I think he should get more leeway with his tenure.  However, ending your second season in charge trending downward like the team did erodes that leeway.  And when I look at their roster, I felt that they should have been a better performing team during the times when I was able to watch them.  

I am curious as to what kind of player turnover they have in preparation for next season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess Sean Young would be the closest player we'd have to replace Manny, but he doesn't drive forward with as much conviction nearly as often. I guess it's silly to speculate on lineups at this point, considering there are only a couple of players confirmed. 

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Kind a flew under the radar but CFL playing a game at Royal Athletic Park next year. They expect capacity over 10k. Interesting 

I wouldn't say it flew under the radar in Victoria. It got a fair bit of news coverage and the new mayor in Langford questioned the Lions for not choosing Starlight. Even though he was the one who quashed the stadium expansion that would have almost guaranteed us the game. 

10 hours ago, shorty said:

For selfish reasons mostly (I could walk there in 5-10 mins) I wish that RAP could have been the choice for Pacific’s home ground, but nooo, we prefer triple Z baseball, because fireworks. 

When I have visited and stayed in downtown Victoria for matches, I would have preferred RAP as well.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Coming from Metro Vancouver for a game at Langford's Starlight stadium was preferred to going into Victoria for my group. Easy drive from the ferry terminal to the stadium, free and easy parking at the stadium, then the same back to ferry terminal and back over to the mainland.

Starlight is easier than RAP from the airport or ferry unless you're taking public transit. You're hooped either way with transit but downtown is probably easier 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Starlight is easier than RAP from the airport or ferry unless you're taking public transit. You're hooped either way with transit but downtown is probably easier 

If you are doing an all-in-one day trip via personal vehicle, I could definitely see the Starlight preference but public transit is an issue.

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Easy drive from the ferry terminal to the stadium, free and easy parking at the stadium

Totally agree that it’s an easier drive from the ferry to Starlight, but parking…? Free, yup. Easy? Meh, depends on the game. Langford Parkway is a crazy bottleneck. First year my buddy and I parked in the business parking lots to the east, but then they started sending out staff to turn away soccer fans. Now we park in the high school parking lot up the hill (stadium lot is very small) but for bigger games (Whitecaps cup game, CanWNT) even the HS lot fills up super quick and then it’s chock a block neighbourhood parking. It is all free though, I’ll give you that. 

Something will have to change if they ever expand Starlight (and fill the stadium) or the gridlock at Langford Parkway and Leigh Rd will be mental. 

Sellouf has big upside but last season he was a different player from week to week. You never knew what you were going to get. When he was on, he was one of the most entertaining players we've seen at Starlight so I'd gladly have him back, but if he can earn us a few more bucks elsewhere c'est la vie