Pacific FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Just a thought, but maybe Sam Marvasti is coming along in training. I think he’s a midfielder by trade but at the UVic preseason game last year he got ~10 minutes at FB and looked steady and reliable. Made good choices about when to stay at home and when to push forward. A year older now and teams need to keep investing in their U21s. That said, even though I wasn’t a Vliet fan and think they can do better, it would be pretty risky not to have at least some veteran depth, if not a starter. Lajeunesse impressed me but I think he’s still at UBC and will only be available for the first half, no?

I think you can expect Mukumbilwa and Dada-Luke to play 90% of the minutes if they're healthy. That's quite a strong pair. Amedume also played a bit of fullback last season, but we still probably need some cover. There are a few players in camp that I don't recognize but I'm still hoping for a statement signing. Losing Didic and Aparicio is rough but it must clear up a fair bit of cap space 

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Not at this point. I've been asking for this signing for years but he's been on the decline lately. I really hope we can help him find his feet again

I agree. He is arguably not coming from a higher level than CPL even. But he's still young. I figure he'll give Pacific a bit of Aparicio as a sub, playing behind the striker/s.

It is like Haber, others. They think perhaps they can just waltz in because of experience elsewhere, but unless you put in the work and have the ambition, it may not happen. In fact we've rarely seen anyone do that in the CPL, we've seen apparently high-level signings with experience abroad be just mediocre time and time again. Even Wero, who was leading scorer in the league playing half the games, came back last year for VFC and was a shadow of that Pacific player.

On 2/26/2024 at 6:56 PM, nolando said:

This is interesting from the youth development angle...

Screenshot_20240226_181133_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5bfcd072f689761112b113ed26bc1207.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but this has been happening for a while now, right? Not a thing yet for Vancouver FC. Is this happening at other CPL sites?

Pacific has been doing this for a while. I think since they took over control Wave in 2020 but even before then Issey, Marcus Haber, de Jong and others provided some sort of training 

Moore is official now.

He scored in T&T's shock 2-1 win over the USA in Nations League.

Should be part of the squad that faces Canada on the 23rd.

Edited by narduch

To continue my thoughts about Pacific that I posted wrongly in Atletico Ottawa thread, how the second half of the season played out was the problem considering that would be the time that the roster turnover from the beginning of the season would be more in sync and building momentum for the playoffs.  I would expect them to take awhile to get things sorted out in the first part of the year but hopefully have a much stronger final stretch run.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

To continue my thoughts about Pacific that I posted wrongly in Atletico Ottawa thread, how the second half of the season played out was the problem considering that would be the time that the roster turnover from the beginning of the season would be more in sync and building momentum for the playoffs.  I would expect them to take awhile to get things sorted out in the first part of the year but hopefully have a much stronger final stretch run.

We'll see. We've started strong the last couple of seasons and faded towards the end. Even after turning over much of the roster the season after lifting the shield 

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Think Ongaro's potential usefulness at set pieces when the other team's goalkeeper is weak at coming off his line for high crosses was being overlooked in the Atletico Ottawa thread. Not having Didic around any more won't help in that context either. Nothing wrong with tippy tappy stuff on the deck and maintaining possession but it's good to also be able to be more direct when there is a weakness to be exploited.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think Ongaro's potential usefulness at set pieces when the other team's goalkeeper is weak at coming off his line for high crosses was being overlooked in the Atletico Ottawa thread. Not having Didic around any more won't help in that context either. Nothing wrong with tippy tappy stuff on the deck and maintaining possession but it's good to also be able to be more direct when there is a weakness to be exploited.

I think the key word there is 'potential' usefulness. He may have scored a couple with his head, but we had several players like Didic, TMG, Young that attacked set pieces far more strongly than Ongaro did. He didn't seem to use his size all that well and he spent big chunks of the season as a backup to Daniels (who I also was never impressed by). I'm hopeful Moore can be that lethal striker we've missed since Diaz moved on, but I do wish we had another striker option. I liked Reid there at times last season but I think he's better with a player in front of him