Pacific FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

No Aparicio, no Didic, not a lot of quality in attack and arguably the worst starting keeper in the league. If Pacific don't bring in some reinforcements I am not sure they're a playoff team in 2024.

Is there a Canadian goalkeeper, in MLS perhaps, who could come to Pacific on loan? 

I've been critical of Emil in the past, but I think you guys are being too harsh. Pacific aren't about to bring in a keeper to replace him as starter. Gazdov has the ability to be the best goalkeeper in the league, and he has the potential to move on to better leagues. It's the mental game that needs work

13 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Is there a Canadian goalkeeper, in MLS perhaps, who could come to Pacific on loan? 

Hassal makes the most sense.

He is training with the Whitecaps pre season, but they have now just added Joe Bendik

Edited by narduch

To get this back on track again, more from the councillor:

Definitely appears to be convinced that a move to RAP in Victoria could happen in 2025 because of Langford's reluctance to follow through on the original expansion plans. Think that could actually be a better long term outcome for Pacific as it would be more of a Halifax Wanderers type stadium location. If a 10,000 expansion can happen temporarily for a BC Lions game presumably a similar configuration could work for CanPL, if it doesn't unduly hinder the baseball alignment.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

There is more going on here than we might imagine, though I may be completely wrong here, as I don't know the current politics that closely.

The Western Communities (Colwood, Metchosin, Langford), had originally tried to pool resources, the intention behind certain sports and recreation facilities was that they might be used by all three municipalities. This is the case in Colwood where the Juan de Fuca facilities are, there is a hockey arena, baseball, soccer fields, a lacrosse box, pitch and putt...Colwood also has coastline and beachfront parks, it was far ahead in sports and rec facilities ten years ago.

I am talking about original notions of how to share facilities, from before Langford began to boom and Mayor Stu came to power.

Some argued that Mayor Stu doubling up and repeating was a poor investment, that he was not cooperating and did not have an efficient use of resources by doing so. And true, he was a bit rogue, but his ambition gave us Starlight, attracted the Canadian rugby programme, then Pacific. 

You could argue there is a bit of competitive edge and even envy from Colwood, which is more established, was once even bigger, but is not half the population as Langford. A new city council in Colwood might imagine that putting stands around a facility down near the Juan de Fuca area could rival Starlight. 

I'm happy to be corrected.

To me, it sounds like they're trying to put pressure on a new and inexperienced council with very different political agendas than the previous council. The new council ran on a platform that doesn't really jive with further investment in the stadium, but millions have already been spent on infrastructure for this team in Langford, so it would look bad on everyone if the team up and moved 20 minutes down the road. Losing the CFL game should have been a wakeup call for them. 

We've heard for years how infrastructure has been the main barrier for teams, and now the team from the smallest city in the league (and some of the most expensive land prices in the country) suddenly has two options. 

https://twitter.com/ianincolwood/status/1749578982172041682

Edited by Aird25

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

To me, it sounds like they're trying to put pressure on a new and inexperienced council with very different political agendas than the previous council. The new council ran on a platform that doesn't really jive with further investment in the stadium, but millions have already been spent on infrastructure for this team in Langford, so it would look bad on everyone if the team up and moved 20 minutes down the road. Losing the CFL game should have been a wakeup call for them. 

We've heard for years how infrastructure has been the main barrier for teams, and now the team from the smallest city in the league (and some of the most expensive land prices in the country) suddenly has two options. 

https://twitter.com/ianincolwood/status/1749578982172041682

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't expand further, but they should avoid the sunk cost fallacy; just because they've invested millions doesn't mean they should invest millions more if it's not working. If anything, the new council probably wouldn't be the ones that look bad here, as they could just blame the poor investment on the previous mayor.

Curious what locals think. Would a (presumably) lesser quality stadium in Victoria draw better crowds than the pretty nice one in Langford? I have no idea about the logistics in getting from Victoria to Langford.

28 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Pacific, Canada Rugby, CWNT, Champions Cup, I think they had the nation Junior Football game there. All in the last year or so. What could possibly be the problem?

The new council ran on a platform of curtailed development, and won. This is about the ethos of the current council compared to the former one, more than anything else. I think the club is pushing for the expanded stadium and improved transportation that were approved by the previous mayor, but this new council is significantly more cautious in regards to development and spending.

Just now, jdheid said:

Curious what locals think. Would a (presumably) lesser quality stadium in Victoria draw better crowds than the pretty nice one in Langford? I have no idea about the logistics in getting from Victoria to Langford.

You'll likely get mixed opinions on this, but the Victoria Highlanders played at both stadiums in the past and I think it was pretty comparable for attendance. 

1 hour ago, jdheid said:

I've been spending a lot of time in Victoria and when people complaining about too many new people moving to the area and development and traffic I just kinda go with it but snicker on the inside. It's the Province that's the problem. Things are growing everywhere but the province only cares about updating nothing but a skytrain in Vancouver.

Edited by SpursFlu

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Things are growing everywhere but the province only cares about updating nothing but a skytrain in Vancouver.

Even though there are loads of government employees living on the west shore that can't understand why they're being asked to commute downtown for work while government offices in Langford sit vacant, working from home has proven to be efficient, and nothing is being done to improve transit

Edited by Aird25

36 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I've been spending a lot of time in Victoria and when people complaining about too many new people moving to the area and development and traffic I just kinda go with it but snicker on the inside. It's the Province that's the problem. Things are growing everywhere but the province only cares about updating nothing but a skytrain in Vancouver.

I get a real NIMBY feeling about the new council reneging on the stadium expansion 

28 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Even though there are loads of government employees living on the west shore that can't understand why they're being asked to commute downtown for work while government offices in Langford sit vacant, working from home has proven to be efficient, and nothing is being done to improve transit

But highways, bridges, trains but instead we need a skytrain thru kitsilano so a 25 minute bus drive turns in to a 15 minute skytrain ride for international students. But anything to build mores boxes in the sky

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I get a real NIMBY feeling about the new council reneging on the stadium expansion 

It's the same vibe you get when you to somewhere like the Sunshine Coast. Yah we want more people here but not Here Here. But yet its not like you live in Williams Lake, you're a stones throw from an Urban Center. It's like trying to resist the tide from coming in

Edited by SpursFlu

Incredible if this really happening with this stadium, we can’t seem to have nice things when it comes to soccer in this country . We have a perfect little stadium that fits a league like the CPL perfectly but now it looks like there is a bit of a possibility we might lose it . I’m sure if this was a hockey arena we would not even be having a discussion of this right now . Canada a soccer nation lol not even remotely close not now and probably never .

30 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Incredible if this really happening with this stadium, we can’t seem to have nice things when it comes to soccer in this country . We have a perfect little stadium that fits a league like the CPL perfectly but now it looks like there is a bit of a possibility we might lose it . I’m sure if this was a hockey arena we would not even be having a discussion of this right now . Canada a soccer nation lol not even remotely close not now and probably never .

It took the Calgary Flames 8 years to get funding/approval on their new arena.

Pacific's home schedule seems slightly better than last year's - almost all games are on weekends, the only long weekend they host a game is early August and they don't have the Mother's and Father's Day combo. They have a lot of home games to start the season but I imagine that stays that way for the foreseeable future. Will attendance be better this year?