CONCACAF U20 qualifying (for the cycle ending in 2025) + preparation & news

Easily confused - both involve no prep.  It is concerning that we seem to be taking the tried and true methods from our highly successful youth program (assemble an all-star team the day before and hope for the best) and applying it to the senior team.

Surely the soccer gods won't let T&T knock us out of two competitions in the space of a month.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Canada Soccer has called a virtual press conference for 2 pm ET Monday (Feb. 12) in regards to the U20 roster, so expect it to be released shortly before then.

Any predictions? Any surprises? I will admit that I am out of touch with this group.

Trinidad and Tobago U20 🇹🇹 are having another multi-day camp and this time the U20 side played against a makeshift senior team:

https://wired868.com/2024/02/09/haynes-notes-defensive-frailties-and-offensive-bluntness-as-u20s-lose-to-makeshift-senior-team/

The article's quote about our program:

"The Canada Under-20 Team have not held a single camp for the upcoming tournament and will try to ad-lib in Port of Spain. All the same, they have a deeper player pool with more experienced players than Trinidad and Tobago."

ad-lib 😭

---

St. Vincent and the Grenadines U20 🇻🇨 have been training on and off since September:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/uDMRRFodqitfju3N/

---

Dominica U20 🇩🇲 have held (are holding?) a camp and beat a local club side 4-2.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/i7bAc9Yp9Y9ChTzy/

---

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Any predictions?

Everybody's favorite coach will return. ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 1/12/2024 at 12:38 PM, Borjans Sweatpants said:

2005 and younger, so we're looking at this (unless I'm mistaken; thanks @Xavier.!) :

image.png.77b4f2ab1d4b909143d6de5e633eff87.png

image.png.c14b6bc7c00e2ce3b39a7db203196106.png

image.png.a8e0b8b6a82574868542003ee78a1c05.png

@Stoppage Time here’s at least an initial look at the crop of players available. Some pretty exciting looking prospects if my rose coloured glasses are to be believed. 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Seems like we will have a good defense, a decent midfield, but not sure about upfront or in goal (unless Swiderski plays).  Perhaps there maybe one or two surprises that we don’t know about. 

I wonder how many of the European guys come for a match like this. Diallo would be great but being in Inter’s set up might be more beneficial for him long term, particularly if he’s got first team training sessions? Swiderski would be awesome too.

Stewart-Baynes would be fun but with MLS stuff kicking off I wonder if he stays home to work to be part of the MLS roster…

17 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I wonder how many of the European guys come for a match like this. Diallo would be great but being in Inter’s set up might be more beneficial for him long term, particularly if he’s got first team training sessions? Swiderski would be awesome too.

Stewart-Baynes would be fun but with MLS stuff kicking off I wonder if he stays home to work to be part of the MLS roster…

I think for Swiderski his club will see the value in him playing some matches. But we’ve seen crazier things from clubs in the past.