September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

49 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

We may have a 2nd October match after all. Spotted this on Elo. Hopefully it pans out!

screenshot_20230831_215611.jpg

And we thought Bontis and the CSA were a mess:

"Pour rappel, l’actuel président de la Fédération malienne de football (FMF), Mamoutou Touré dit «Bavieux», est en détention depuis le 9 août dernier pour faits de corruption. Un placement en détention qui intervient à quelques jours de l’élection à la présidence de la Fémafoot, prévue le 29 août, et pour laquelle le président sortant est l’unique candidat, après que plusieurs autres listes ont été invalidées par la commission électorale."

https://www.sudquotidien.sn/matches-amicaux-dates-fifa-en-octobre-senegal-cameroun-acte-senegal-mali-en-pourparlers/

53 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

We may have a 2nd October match after all. Spotted this on Elo. Hopefully it pans out!

screenshot_20230831_215611.jpg

Saw that on wiki but it got taken down. Didn't say anything since it was just a week before that Uzbekistan showed up on wiki as an opponent.

Mali would be a great test though. Obviously I hope there is something to it.

On 8/25/2023 at 2:34 AM, Watchmen said:

The men's team was bad and wasn't a desirable team for other countries to play.

The team was bad, but not the absolute worst.  There was always some team as crap as we were that could also have used some matches playing together as a team.  We wouldn't have had to travel far.  CONCACAF's full of awful teams.

The CSA's always been incompetent, especially during Kevin Pipe's reign of terror.

Edited by vancanman

On 9/1/2023 at 12:10 PM, Obinna said:

Saw that on wiki but it got taken down. Didn't say anything since it was just a week before that Uzbekistan showed up on wiki as an opponent.

Mali would be a great test though. Obviously I hope there is something to it.

The CSA chose Mali so they could get some tips on how to clean up their act.

https://footballghana.com/jailed-candidate-set-to-win-mali-fa-elections

12 minutes ago, red card said:

Japan beat Germany 4-1 in Wolfsburg today. Germany continues to be in a funk but 2 goals came after 89th minute.

Germany had 67% of possession but Japan had 11 shots on target vs 3 for Germany. 

Surely the sack for Flick. They’ve been terrible for the last year. 

13 hours ago, red card said:

Japan beat Germany 4-1 in Wolfsburg today. Germany continues to be in a funk but 2 goals came after 89th minute.

Germany had 67% of possession but Japan had 11 shots on target vs 3 for Germany. 

It was a nice 24-hour period for sports in Japan. First the win against Germany, then a comfortable win for the Brave Blossoms (their rugby team) against Chile in the Rugby World Cup.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:11 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

This is the first time I’ve heard the rugby World Cup is on. Now I’m seeing Canada isn’t even in it?? Wtf 

The first time we've failed to qualify.  For those who think Soccer Canada's a mess, the nincompoops at the top at Rugby Canada are killing the sport in Canada.  Japan hammered Chile (the team that knocked us out) by 30 points.

"It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue." - from The Picture of Dorian Grey, Oscar Wilde 

Edited by vancanman
I'm not going to be lured into the internet version of a schoolyard squabble

16 hours ago, red card said:

Am I the only one who doesn't get the significance of Vietnamese flower arranging?

2 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

It was a nice 24-hour period for sports in Japan. First the win against Germany, then a comfortable win for the Brave Blossoms (their rugby team) against Chile in the Rugby World Cup.

I'm suddenly more concerned about our friendly against Japan after this result.

I don't follow either sport, but Japan won some baseball thing a while ago, and then their basketball team did something significant last week.  

11 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I'm suddenly more concerned about our friendly against Japan after this result.

I don't follow either sport, but Japan won some baseball thing a while ago, and then their basketball team did something significant last week.  

We're getting smacked with Biello.

Watch him try out Adekugbe in a DM role. Or insist Bombito's real talent is as a #10.

Edited by VinceA

2 hours ago, vancanman said:

The first time we've failed to qualify.  For those who think Soccer Canada's a mess, the nincompoops at the top at Rugby Canada are killing the sport in Canada.  Japan hammered Chile (the team that knocked us out) by 30 points.

WHAT??? Where is the goverment inquiry?  Sack everyone!!!  

3 hours ago, vancanman said:

Chile knocked the Americans out by one point to qualify.

The Americans lost on PD after giving up a last-second penalty to the Portuguese.

3 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Chile knocked the Americans out by one point to qualify.

The Americans lost on PD after giving up a last-second penalty to the Portuguese.

Thanks for this. I stopped following the qualifying for the Rugby World Cup after Canada was eliminated. Usually I'm overjoyed when the Americans get knocked out of any international sport, but that was a really, really tough way to not make it to the RWC for them.

Sorry for derailing this thread!