September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wouldn't the sponsorship money go to CSB?

Yes, I believe so, unless it's a promotion with individual players and not the CSA as a whole.

But when players get sponsorship money for individual promotions, (my thinking at least is that) they may go easier on the CSA. This is possibly more likely for the women, who (in most cases) cannot rely on their club contracts being as lucrative.

Without the WWC would BMO have paid Julia Grosso?

https://about.bmo.com/bmos-new-fifa-womens-world-cup-campaign-features-rising-canadian-soccer-star-julia-grosso/

Would Adidas have released a new commercial with Ashley Lawrence?

https://strategyonline.ca/2023/07/21/adidas-knocks-down-barriers-with-a-soccer-ambassador/

What is the value of good performances during the CONCACAF W-Gold Cup in February/March? Or the April 2024 window?

Surely it is much higher if the team is qualified for the Olympics and potential sponsors are looking at players to represent their brands.

Qualification to big tournaments is also helpful to convince CSB to reinvest by helping the CSA fund friendly matches.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

+ Sponsorship money will be more likely to flow as we approach Paris 2024 if the CanWNT are qualified.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wouldn't the sponsorship money go to CSB?

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes, I believe so, unless it's a promotion with individual players and not the CSA as a whole.

Ok, I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here.  Because sponsorship funding flowing in to the CSB doesn't help the current players or CSA out.  As you say, maybe some individual promotions come out of it, which is good.

Qualification to big tournaments is also helpful to convince CSB to reinvest by helping the CSA fund friendly matches.

Investing in friendly matches would help Canada qualify for big tournaments, but I have yet to see any signs of the CSB doing that.  It's one of my major gripes with them.

Gonna take a moment to vent here:

What in the world is going on? How is it that we qualified for the WC, for the first time in 36 years, and things seem like they couldn't be worse? I know that CONCACAF and UEFA NL makes friendlies difficult to arrange, something the women (who have their calender full?) don't have to contend with, but I am tired of this excuse. All it takes is planning. Ex - Thailand is playing two UEFA teams in October:

image.png.46de26c65757f0d5d9cd1e66ac8f9c32.png

I am not saying I would trade our single game against Japan for two games against Estonia and Georgia. The point is that UEFA NL shouldn't be held up as an excuse. Clearly it is possible to book such teams with a little planning. We just don't have our shit together, that's the problem

Looking for teams we can play in East Asia for October and everyone seems booked. Pretty grim. We are destined for a single prep match heading into Copa America qualifiers. Not close to being good enough. 

With the loan money coming in from FIFA, I don't want to hear any excuses of not being able to book friendlies come 2024.

Get it done, CSA.

Rant over.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Gonna take a moment to vent here:

What in the world is going on? How is it that we qualified for the WC, for the first time in 36 years, and things seem like they couldn't be worse? I know that CONCACAF and UEFA NL makes friendlies difficult to arrange, something the women (who have their calender full?) don't have to contend with, but I am tired of this excuse. All it takes is planning. Ex - Thailand is playing two UEFA teams in October:

image.png.46de26c65757f0d5d9cd1e66ac8f9c32.png

I am not saying I would trade our single game against Japan for two games against Estonia and Georgia. The point is that UEFA NL shouldn't be held up as an excuse. Clearly it is possible to book such teams with a little planning. We just don't have our shit together, that's the problem

Looking for teams we can play in East Asia for October and everyone seems booked. Pretty grim. We are destined for a single prep match heading into Copa America qualifiers. Not close to being good enough. 

With the loan money coming in from FIFA, I don't want to hear any excuses of not being able to book friendlies come 2024.

Get it done, CSA.

Rant over.

It is this continued incompetence that leads to setbacks in the programs. 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

It is this continued incompetence that leads to setbacks in the programs. 

It is definitely one of the factors in play.   I would argue that the incoherence behind the players position (insofar as it seems detached from the financial reality, would detract from the CSA’s capacity to invest in more youth opportunities, and the desired outcomes of men’s and women’s teams seem to be very much at odds) provides additional setbacks to our national programs.  

Put simply, both parties are driving the current clusterfuck.   

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is definitely one of the factors in play.   I would argue that the incoherence behind the players position (insofar as it seems detached from the financial reality, would detract from the CSA’s capacity to invest in more youth opportunities, and the desired outcomes of men’s and women’s teams seem to be very much at odds) provides additional setbacks to our national programs.  

Put simply, both parties are driving the current clusterfuck.   

It is the responsibility of the CSA to organize the events.  It is the responsibility of the players to play the game.  Both are responsible for one party not holding up their end of the bargain.

Gotcha.

Just now, Ottawafan said:

It is the responsibility of the CSA to organize the events.  It is the responsibility of the players to play the game.  Both are responsible for one party not holding up their end of the bargain.

Gotcha.

I think it is naive to believe that the actions of the players (e.g. the men pulling out of a friendly last minute, the women pushing for equal funding, and both parties pushing for a substantial overall increase in compensation) haven’t influenced the CSA willingness and ability to organize friendlies. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it is naive to believe that the actions of the players (e.g. the men pulling out of a friendly last minute, the women pushing for equal funding, and both parties pushing for a substantial overall increase in compensation) haven’t influenced the CSA willingness and ability to organize friendlies. 

Then what has been the CSA's excuse for consistently not playing games or hosting camps all these years when the players weren't pushing back for what they feel is right?  

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Then what has been the CSA's excuse for consistently not playing games or hosting camps all these years when the players weren't pushing back for what they feel is right?  

The men's team was bad and wasn't a desirable team for other countries to play.

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

I am not taking about previous years.  And I have never pretended that the CSA is blameless in all of this.  I was just pointing out that it is very one-sided to solely blame the CSA for current setbacks.  IMO, the position and tactics of the players are also impacting the current unsatisfactory situation.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I am not taking about previous years.  And I have never pretended that the CSA is blameless in all of this.  I was just pointing out that it is very one-sided to solely blame the CSA for current setbacks.  IMO, the position and tactics of the players are also impacting the current unsatisfactory situation.  

I don't agree with that.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Now I'm just having fun looking over eastern/central AFC teams to see who might be available in October. Bahrain? Kyrgyzstan???

Both are probably a little too far away from Japan, unfortunately. Would like a Bahrain rematch though. We should have beat them last time, I feel.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Now I'm just having fun looking over eastern/central AFC teams to see who might be available in October. Bahrain? Kyrgyzstan???

The representatives of the unrecognized state of Turkestan in what is now considered Xinjiang will be more than happy to face our men. Maybe do a double header with the Tibetan national team.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

The representatives of the unrecognized state of Turkestan in what is now considered Xinjiang will be more than happy to face our men. Maybe do a double header with the Tibetan national team.

East Turkestan, no?

Edited by Obinna
spelling

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

What in the world is going on? How is it that we qualified for the WC, for the first time in 36 years, and things seem like they couldn't be worse? 

After that last time we qualified for the World Cup, the team played in a tournament in Singapore and 5 players took money to fix a match and one (Paul James) thought better of it and squealed on the rest resulting in the other 4 being banned.  Paul went on to ultimately be a drug addict and lives on the street in the UK now. The team went on to be eliminated in the first round qualifying to Guatemala for the 1990 World Cup.  And we had Bob Lenarduzzi as manager.

So lets just look at the shit going on now as a step up in our evolution to become a soccer playing nation.

22 minutes ago, An Observer said:

After that last time we qualified for the World Cup, the team played in a tournament in Singapore and 5 players took money to fix a match and one (Paul James) thought better of it and squealed on the rest resulting in the other 4 being banned.  Paul went on to ultimately be a drug addict and lives on the street in the UK now. The team went on to be eliminated in the first round qualifying to Guatemala for the 1990 World Cup.  And we had Bob Lenarduzzi as manager.

So lets just look at the shit going on now as a step up in our evolution to become a soccer playing nation.

At Swangard Stadium. I was there. I remember that we went behind early, scored a few later, and lost on away goals. It was sickening.

58 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I wonder if we will even hold a Camp Poutine in January.

I am optimistic about that because we will need to either prep for the Copa America or prep for the playoffs to reach the Copa in March.

Skipping the September window allows the #CanMNT and #CanWNT to be on equal footing because I assume the #CanWNT won't play outside of a FIFA window. January can be the #CanMNT's September window equivalent.

I am optimistic about that because we will need to either prep for the Copa America or prep for the playoffs to reach the Copa in March.

Skipping the September window allows the #CanMNT and #CanWNT to be on equal footing because I assume the #CanWNT won't play outside of a FIFA window. January can be the #CanMNT's September window equivalent.

Sounds promising. Hope you are right!

We are all so adept at rationalizing bad situations. That is what dedicated fans do.  🙃