Promise Oluwatobi Emmanuel Akinpelu (Promise David)

Big_M

1 minute ago, Atlantic said:

Not sure I buy that a 22 year old with 6 goals in 23 games in the top flight of Estonia last season is attracting interest from Atlético Madrid, unless this is a maneuver to save Ottawa from paying his salary - the other clubs interested seem more accurate 

Happens all the time with these types of clubs. “Atletico” as a parent club is interested so they can loan him out as you suspect. 

Would be interesting to see how those numbers translate to CPL. For comparison sake, Joao Morelli was a star in Estonia as well and did pretty well here.

10 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Not sure I buy that a 22 year old with 6 goals in 23 games in the top flight of Estonia last season is attracting interest from Atlético Madrid, unless this is a maneuver to save Ottawa from paying his salary - the other clubs interested seem more accurate 

He’s also 6’6 though. You can’t teach his physical profile, so if he develops with one of the top organizations, he has a lot of potential to become an interesting player. It’s a longshot, but long shots are part of the reason why Atletico group, City Group, so on, have all these teams in far flung places. 

Stood next to the guy and seen him play, no taller than 6’4 I’d say, uses his body as well as I’ve ever seen a player use it. Technical is a bit lazy at times and he’s a bit clunky in his movements but he will definitely have a solid career in Europe. However I can’t see him playing for a world class team, there’s too much of a gap to be filled in terms of technical ability considering he is already 22. Good kid too.

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Interview with JJD TV:

On the topic of Canada vs Nigeria, he says he couldn't really decide because he feels both. But if you listen to the rest of the interview, he really sounds like he knows a lot more about the Canadian soccer scene and is inspired by Phonzie, Miller, Johnston. 

I really enjoyed this interview. He seems like a good guy. Hopefully he keeps moving upward as he aspires to do.

If those Atletico rumours had any weight, which they probably don't, would be cool to see him move to their affiliate in Mexico, San Luis. Big step up, but if he sucks, Ottawa would be a good landing spot, and if he's good, eventually he makes his way to Spain.