Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Exactly. Do they have any high level game breakers at the level of a Davies or David, or even a Buchanan? (Asking honestly, I don't know much about their team).

Don't know, but if Floro was coaching this group, he'd find a way to have 4 CBs out there.

There were too many instances of poor first touch amongst these guys.  OTOH, Costa Rica would have been better at possession but would also have the most grass-stained kit of any team here with rolling around to feign injury, to try to waste time, and to disrupt the opponent's build up rhythm.

57 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Exactly. Do they have any high level game breakers at the level of a Davies or David, or even a Buchanan? (Asking honestly, I don't know much about their team).

There were no top 5 league players in their starting lineup.  A few used to play for top 5 leagues but now ply their trade in Australia.  Denmark had 10 starters at top 5 leagues and the 11th was Skov Olsen at Brugge, yet Tunisia played them to a draw. 

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There were no top 5 league players in their starting lineup.  A few used to play for top 5 leagues but now ply their trade in Australia.  Denmark had 10 starters at top 5 leagues and the 11th was Skov Olsen at Brugge, yet Tunisia played them to a draw. 

I moved to Australia in early-2006, a few months after they finally beat Uruguay in the inter-continental playoff to qualify for a World Cup after more than 30 years....sound somewhat familiar? That Socceroos team was Australia's Golden Generation....also sound familiar? They've steadily gotten worse in each subsequent WC cycle since....this is what we need to avoid!

First match of the day tomorrow is Morocco-Croatia. Which result do you think is best for our chances? I'm operating under the assumption that we need to beat Morocco to have a real shot at advancing, so them taking points from Croatia in a draw makes the task of qualifying a touch easier.

Am I right or am I missing something?

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

First match of the day tomorrow is Morocco-Croatia. Which result do you think is best for our chances? I'm operating under the assumption that we need to beat Morocco to have a real shot at advancing, so them taking points from Croatia in a draw makes the task of qualifying a touch easier.

Was about to post and ask the same thing! Draw it is!

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

A Morocco/Croatia draw would suit me just fine.

If we're unable to get a result against Belgium, I'd rather be 1 point behind both Morocco and Croatia than 3 points behind one of them.

5 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

In Spain it was trending the first Lautaro goal was correct,  the system didn't check the left back from Saudis didn't check the position.  Its all over internet.  

This is apparently correct. A young architect from Galicia, Nacho Tellado, does VAR commentary as he developed the system FiFA copied for VAR analysis (lines and verticals to body parts). 

And he explains how VAR took the wrong defender as the reference, it should have been the left back putting Lautaro onside.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mundial-futbol/error-garrafal-var-gol-lautaro-78937839

I personally don't care because historically all good teams overcome reffing errors normally and they still were up against SA.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is apparently correct. A young architect from Galicia, Nacho Tellado, does VAR commentary as he developed the system FiFA copied for VAR analysis (lines and verticals to body parts). 

And he explains how VAR took the wrong defender as the reference, it should have been the left back putting Lautaro onside.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mundial-futbol/error-garrafal-var-gol-lautaro-78937839

I personally don't care because historically all good teams overcome reffing errors normally and they still were up against SA.

And we couldn't get the 2-2 , but this has changed the game 2-0 and the game would have ended 4-0 ,  it is an scandal and puts those machines and the people who used then in jeopardize, as Renard said in after match maybe Argentina wasn't as motivated because it was just Saudi Arabia,   ditto this we played footballers who wreent 100% tagliafico Romero two at the back

16 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

And we couldn't get the 2-2 , but this has changed the game 2-0 and the game would have ended 4-0 ,  it is an scandal and puts those machines and the people who used then in jeopardize, as Renard said in after match maybe Argentina wasn't as motivated because it was just Saudi Arabia,   ditto this we played footballers who wreent 100% tagliafico Romero two at the back

Of course the original penalty was also very iffy. Maybe you had to call it, but he also went down easy. Going into the 2nd half leading means there was really no excuse (and I agree, everyone says Romero is lacking, for example). So Argentina has to get their act together, down 2-1 they were really poor.

The case of this young man, Ignacio Tellado, analysing VAR technology is very interesting. He actually started working on his models independently in 2013, and the guy barely looks 30. He never patented anything, he seems like an aficionado, but he knows it back to front.

He explains in numerous videos (and also on Argentine TV) how you have to build a 3-D anatomical structure for every player, which FIFA unnecessarily converts into a stick figure, merely for fans and replays, that it falsifies the real image to convince fans, and refs, of the decision the VAR refs are making.  That it is not necessary for the technical analysis, and that leaving the anatomical model would be more accurate. 

Then he's explained how FIFA copied his entire colour scheme, his graphics (he says he made graphic errors on this model that he'd correct with hindsight, but FIFA copied them as well); he also got blocked by UEFA because he is able to critique the technical aspects of VAR in ways that embarrass them. 

And then, to top things off, they showed the wrong defender, ignoring the left back, and made Lautaro look offside. When the left back was clearly between him and goal, it was not milimetres but centimetres.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist