Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Wales warming up near the end, will bring better for England. 

But will still probably come down to who better beats Iran. 

Pre-tournament I said this would be the fight for second. 

Wales is ranked 19 in the world. 

I understand all that business of esprit de corps, appreciate the tenacity. But really, 19th in the world.

32 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I get at first how the over hype for Pulisic was kinda annoying but now that he's settled in as just a really excellent player.. I don't get the hate for Pulisic? Actually seems like a decent humble guy

Against Canada I hate him but other than that I think he's a pretty good player

Maybe... ...but there's something about writing your autobiography at age 24 that just strikes me as a tad presumptuous....

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wales is ranked 19 in the world. 

I understand all that business of esprit de corps, appreciate the tenacity. But really, 19th in the world.

You are not making the rookie mistake of judging a team by one half of football are you.

They drew Belgium once in qualifying and beat a couple decent teams in the playoffs to get here.  That's where the ranking comes from mostly I would guess. 

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You are not making the rookie mistake of judging a team by one half of football are you.

They drew Belgium once in qualifying and beat a couple decent teams in the playoffs to get here.  That's where the ranking comes from mostly I would guess. 

I know, they deserved to be in the World Cup. I respect results on the field, I do. They only lost in their UEFA group on the last day, already assured the playoff. But they only got results late, last minute or into stoppage time, vs. Belarus and Czech Republic. Drew Estonia at home. It was not as stellar as you are making out. Then they took out Ukraine in what were, objectively, terrible conditions for the rival to be playing in.

But they were terrible, really, even for most of the second half. The play was really poor, they couldn't make a pass, it was sloppy as hell.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know, they deserved to be in the World Cup. I respect results on the field, I do. They only lost in their UEFA group on the last day, already assured the playoff. But they only got results late, last minute or into stoppage time, vs. Belarus and Czech Republic. Drew Estonia at home. It was not as stellar as you are making out. Then they took out Ukraine in what were, objectively, terrible conditions for the rival to be playing in.

But they were terrible, really, even for most of the second half. The play was really poor, they couldn't make a pass, it was sloppy as hell.

I watched the Ukraine game and Wales had the world against them in fine conditions. There was nothing terrible and we had Yarmalenko at West Ham at the time and if anything he was playing up a level. 

They had an easy draw, as the Czechs underperformed but they got the business done.  They are better than they showed as I said, they will bring more against England, at least.

For the record, I have not a drop of Welch blood in me and used to sing "We see you shagging you' livestock" (To Seven Nation Army) with everyone when Cardiff City and Swansea came to town, at games when I first got to England. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I watched the Ukraine game and Wales had the world against them in fine conditions. There was nothing terrible and we had Yarmalenko at West Ham at the time and if anything he was playing up a level. 

They had an easy draw, as the Czechs underperformed but they got the business done.  They are better than they showed as I said, they will bring more against England, at least.

For the record, I have not a drop of Welch blood in me and used to sing "We see you shagging you' livestock" (To Seven Nation Army) with everyone when Cardiff City and Swansea came to town, at games when I first got to England. 

Fair enough, I appreciate they are precisely the kind of team that will make a WC with the frequency they do (or Euros), mostly, as I said, on the basis of team spirit and mental toughness. Technically they are dire.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

"Pulisick" = WTF? No matter how many times I hear it. Think both these teams are well short of the quality needed to go past the last 16 or quarter finals if they are very lucky.

I actually saw for the first time today someone spelled it “Pulišić”. I’ve always wondered how those names worked- on the one hand, American English doesn’t have the accents to properly spell that name, but on the other hand, his family has been here so long they might all pronounce it pullisick.

Similarly, I only learned that Joe Sakic was actually Croatian with the original name Šakić long after he retired. But then, everyone pronounces Milan Lucic the right way.

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I actually saw for the first time today someone spelled it “Pulišić”. I’ve always wondered how those names worked- on the one hand, American English doesn’t have the accents to properly spell that name, but on the other hand, his family has been here so long they might all pronounce it pullisick.

Similarly, I only learned that Joe Sakic was actually Croatian with the original name Šakić long after he retired. But then, everyone pronounces Milan Lucic the right way.

Yaremchuk - David's former and Tajon's current teammate  is kind of like that.  I learned his name slightly wrong from Ken Yaremchuk the hockey player.

Spoilers: it doesn't rhyme with the f- word.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Problem for the US is that they play England next. If England takes care of business there, they may take their foot off the gas pedal against a Wales team that will be up for it big-time, while Iran will - even if eliminated - likely be up for the match against the US. In this circumstance I would have preferred to play Iran next.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I get at first how the over hype for Pulisic was kinda annoying but now that he's settled in as just a really excellent player.. I don't get the hate for Pulisic? Actually seems like a decent humble guy

Against Canada I hate him but other than that I think he's a pretty good player

He’s American, for one. They’ve called him captain America. They’ve compared him to lebron to try and appease American sports fans who don’t know soccer. If you’re rated that highly, you need to be among the best of the best, but he’s not quite that type of player.

Plus, depending on how you tilt politically, he’s liked tweets talking about killing antifa but also about police being racist, and he mentioned he thinks wearing masks are important to battle COVID, so regardless of what you believe, he’s got something in there to piss everyone off.

but most of the reason people dislike him is because he’s American, acts Americanly as a symbol of America whose job is to help America defeat other nations. Barring a captain who’s as personable as Alphonso Davies, I think it would be here for him to get in other nations’ good books.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Yaremchuk - David's former and Tajon's current teammate  is kind of like that.  I learned his name slightly wrong from Ken Yaremchuk the hockey player.

Spoilers: it doesn't rhyme with the f- word.

Really? Is it Yaremchik?

also, always wondered how you pronounce AGR’s second last name. I’ve heard him say Ruzik, but it’s Ruzić no?

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

From watching Ukraine's games is sounded to me like the u was almost an - ew - sound.  

Came up with -chuk being "chuk" for Poles (and some Ukrainians) and "shewk" generally for Ukrainians.  Might be a Winnipeg thing, anglo-ed to a point I suppose but considered proper manners getting correct back in the day.