Forge FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would have thought it's mainly a prime example of why CF Montreal were foolish not to have a Next Pro team. They don't have enough pro contracts available for all their top academy prospects that have a shot at making it in the game.

They’ve done pretty well loaning young players to CPL

^^^probably doesn't realize that what he wrote does not address the point I made. In the absence of an MLS Next team (or USL II team prior to that) they only have 4 professional contracts available on a non-active portion of the roster for players like Sean Rea who are breaking through from the Academy beyond the standard MLS 30 man roster:

https://www.spotrac.com/mls/cf-montreal/cap/2022/

That's why even though they still rated Pacius, he wound up at the Forge. Suspect it's only a matter of time until CF Montreal will be required to have a Next Pro team. PdS of the Valour seemed to think the era of MLS loans was drawing to a close in an interview recently.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^probably doesn't realize that what he wrote does not address the point I made. In the absence of an MLS Next team (or USL II team prior to that) they only have 4 professional contracts available on a non-active portion of the roster for players like Sean Rea who are breaking through from the Academy beyond the standard MLS 30 man roster:

That's why even though they still rated Pacius, he wound up at the Forge. Suspect it's only a matter of time until CF Montreal will be required to have a Next Pro team. PdS of the Valour seemed to think the era of MLS loans was drawing to a close in an interview recently.

More or less always are going to MLS loans. I´m sure that it´s natural things.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's still early, but Montreal appear to have made the right decision to skip Next Pro. I still doubt that league lasts more than 5 years before MLS comes up with some other convoluted idea.

Besides even without having Next Pro, Montreal appear to be outpacing TFC and Vancouver in young player development.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

It's still early, but Montreal appear to have made the right decision to skip Next Pro. I still doubt that league lasts more than 5 years before MLS comes up with some other convoluted idea.

On what merit? Nobody has gone out on loan and came back to play with the first team. 
And what Montreal doing with the loans is nothing new. They've been doing it before when they sent TMG, Kinumbe and others to the Fury....those guys didn't come back to the team.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Besides even without having Next Pro, Montreal appear to be outpacing TFC and Vancouver in young player development.

Cmon bro, we went through this already.....this isn't true.

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

On what merit? Nobody has gone out on loan and came back to play with the first team. 
And what Montreal doing with the loans is nothing new. They've been doing it before when they sent TMG, Kinumbe and others to the Fury....those guys didn't come back to the team.

Cmon bro, we went through this already.....this isn't true.

Quite frankly I think all 3 MLS Canadian clubs should be doing a better job. Period.

I still disagree with you on Montreal though.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are you feeling okay? Yesterday you were mocking the notion of CPL teams signing MLS level players, and now you're claiming they need reserve teams to prevent CPL teams from poaching from them. This seems very out of character for you, even though I do imagine it was intended to be a shot at CPL. None of what you say really contradicts what Hammer said about Pacius being an example of why CPL was needed though. A young player given a pro shot, making the most of it and drawing attention from elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Quite frankly I think all 3 MLS Canadian clubs should be doing a better job. Period.

Agreed!

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I still disagree with you on Montreal though.

But I've been waiting for the comparison of why? 
Where/who are the fruits from Montreals better development.

You can't make statements like that without presenting the facts.

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Wasn't Pantemis a starter by the end of the year?

Boom corrected just like that!
Is that it? 

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

And won't he be the starter this year? Or is he going to be replaced by that veteran they signed?

Interesting because they waived him, and then re-signed him. Which makes me think they got him back on a cheaper deal, and haven't signed anyone else. No way the D2 keeper is going to be the starting #1.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Are you feeling okay? ...

I'm not the one who childishly uses emoticons in a passive aggressive sort of way on here. All I'm pointing out is that Pacius is an MLS academy product and that what he has subsequently done in CanPL (and the reported interest from European clubs) suggests that CF Montreal should have found a way to keep more players like him around. There is no CanPL vs MLS angle in any of that. 

On 2/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would have thought it's mainly a prime example of why CF Montreal were foolish not to have a Next Pro team. They don't have enough pro contracts available for all their top academy prospects that have a shot at making it in the game.

Well they don't, which is just a larger crack players in the MLS academies can fall into, that doesn't mean there are others. The transition from youth to academy is bad in this country due to costs, the transition from academy to pro, is far worse due the lack of spots and places to play.