Forge FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

29 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Peter Schaale is the one option who comes to mind that could fit a Krutzen role seamlessly. Alternatively, I wonder if Nyal Higgins would be an option, as someone who looked solid at CB for FC Edmonton last year and has the mobility to play wide as well.

Neither of those guys has made much of an impression for good or bad on me, I'd have to rewatch some games. I have a hunch there won't be many signings of experienced players. Just feels like there's some belt-tightening going on.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Neither of those guys has made much of an impression for good or bad on me, I'd have to rewatch some games. I have a hunch there won't be many signings of experienced players.us Jt feels like there's some belt-tightening going on.

I agree and hopefully that is not the case and they are just trying to bring in decent replacements because gutting the roster fans can identify with after winning the Championship will not be an easy sell!

On 1/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, Cicero said:

Not a bad move, but he was much less involved offensively than Awuah. However, Forge played a 4-3-3 (sort of) more often this season, so maybe that's to be expected. 

I was always happy to see Morgan on the pitch. Agree  with Awuah assessment though I am starting to think this league is better than the first 2 years. Was anyone stating that other teams have figured out Forge during that time? I don't  remember. Other teams seemed to for a while last year. 

4 hours ago, Ftduck said:

I was always happy to see Morgan on the pitch. Agree  with Awuah assessment though I am starting to think this league is better than the first 2 years. Was anyone stating that other teams have figured out Forge during that time? I don't  remember. Other teams seemed to for a while last year. 

I don't know if they figured them out... well, maybe Valour did... but Forge's problem from the beginning is that they sometimes go into offensive doldrums where it seems like they just can't think of anything to do with the ball. It's just move forward...recycle...move forward...recycle...and it goes on and on some games. I find this is Bekker's biggest weakness. It's like he just mentally checks out for a while and for long stretches, nothing happens offensively. So teams just sit back and watch until they pick up an errant pass or whatever. I think Ottawa was hoping Forge would do this in the final, but their offensive shape was totally different than normal that game, much more wing passing than usual. 

Supposedly roster was leaked by CPL website. Nanco & Welshman I assumed might move on, curious to see if they re-sign. Backup goalie role will need to be filled.

News that Johnny Grant is gone but it’s felt that way for years considering his frequent injuries. I wonder if that’s the end for him in soccer.

Northern Tribune's take on the above:

...There are five players now in free agency, with the big headliner being team captain Kyle Bekker. The veteran midfielder has captained the club since day one and is the club’s record appearance maker with117 appearances, throughout which he’s bagged fifteen goals, thirteen assists, and (of course) a team-leading three red cards....

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^ This give me hope that the Forge dynasty is at an end.  Has Henry not been a weak sot for them, at least on the outside looking in he is.  

It's a strange one isn't it? We have all ripped on him, myself included. Some of his flubs are so crazy you forget when he is right on the mark, and there ARE times he is excellent. But just like every other year, it will be agreed upon that he is only as good as his back line. 

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

^^^ This give me hope that the Forge dynasty is at an end.  Has Henry not been a weak sot for them, at least on the outside looking in he is.  

He’s been susceptible to letting in some stinkers but when he’s playing well he’s a good keeper in the league. I hope that whoever comes in as a second goalie earns slightly more opportunity this season to keep Henry fresh & motivated to be on his best game.

16 hours ago, Ftduck said:

It's a strange one isn't it? We have all ripped on him, myself included. Some of his flubs are so crazy you forget when he is right on the mark, and there ARE times he is excellent. But just like every other year, it will be agreed upon that he is only as good as his back line. 

Have to agree. But the team Goals Against have been good every year, so I guess some credit has to go to Henry. I still feel nervous every time a defender is closing down on him. But from a management perspective, he's a known commodity, there isn't a big upside to bringing in an untested keeper if Henry is willing to keep playing. Until we see some bigger player sales figures for the league, wins are probably worth more than developing a new player.

32 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Have to agree. But the team Goals Against have been good every year, so I guess some credit has to go to Henry. I still feel nervous every time a defender is closing down on him. But from a management perspective, he's a known commodity, there isn't a big upside to bringing in an untested keeper if Henry is willing to keep playing. Until we see some bigger player sales figures for the league, wins are probably worth more than developing a new player.

I also assume Bobby knows what he's doing lol.