Forge FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

30 minutes ago, gator said:

This could be a very good signing and allow AJ to push back into his natural defensive midfield position!

I really really really hope this is the case. As much credit as he earned last year, I still felt less comfortable with him out of position last season.

This is quite the Krutzen replacement. I'm not really sure what happened with James for him to fall out of the NT picture, but he wasn't someone I expected in the CPL so soon.

29 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I really really really hope this is the case. As much credit as he earned last year, I still felt less comfortable with him out of position last season.

This is quite the Krutzen replacement. I'm not really sure what happened with James for him to fall out of the NT picture, but he wasn't someone I expected in the CPL so soon.

James is a great signing for Forge, no question.  But his career in Europe has stagnated somewhat and he never really pushed on after signing for Midtjylland.  He's pushing 30 now and has links with Sigma... maybe he just wanted to be closer to home, and MLS clubs aren't convinced with his level right now.

On 3/10/2023 at 12:36 PM, StillOnFire said:

James is a great signing for Forge, no question.  But his career in Europe has stagnated somewhat and he never really pushed on after signing for Midtjylland.  He's pushing 30 now and has links with Sigma... maybe he just wanted to be closer to home, and MLS clubs aren't convinced with his level right now.

On paper, Forge look far above any other team as far as talent and experience, but I do have some concerns about motivation with some of these 30ish+ players. Morgan was good last year, but not spectacular. Bekker's performances were off and on, with a little more off than in previous years. Hamilton did not impress. When they reach this stage of their career and they know this is it, probably hard to stay focused on soccer and not on what comes next. Edgar was very good in his stint, but he knew coaching was in his future. That can't be the case for all these players.

43 minutes ago, Cicero said:

On paper, Forge look far above any other team as far as talent and experience, but I do have some concerns about motivation with some of these 30ish+ players. Morgan was good last year, but not spectacular. Bekker's performances were off and on, with a little more off than in previous years. Hamilton did not impress. When they reach this stage of their career and they know this is it, probably hard to stay focused on soccer and not on what comes next. Edgar was very good in his stint, but he knew coaching was in his future. That can't be the case for all these players.

Ouch for Hamilton! He's only 26!

Went this morn to a local coop bookshop in Barcelona where a friend is a partner, works a few hours, to say hi. Forgot I was wearing a Forge t-shirt, nice one from first year with a big white hammer and orange spark on dark grey.

And he says "You're wearing the shirt of my father-in-laws team." Victor is a writer and graphic designer, and is married to a Canadian; but I hadn't made any connection, thought he was mistaking Forge for TFC. But no. "Let me take a pic and send it to him, he won't believe it". The guy has season tickets, Manchester born, prof at McMaster. My friend says: "I've even gone to games with him when we're back there".

I bought shirts from most of the teams the first season, the only one that is comfortable, looks good and has held up is this one.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Ouch for Hamilton! He's only 26!

Maybe a little harsh on Hamilton, but feels like he's been playing a long time and fits into my narrative because he's dropped a level, and probably will not get a chance to move back up.

Edited by Cicero

I'm sounding pretty negative in my last couple posts, but the last two seasons, the kits have been sub-par in my opinion. These home jerseys are the worst yet. I wasn't a fan of the orange initially, but it's grown on me. But this home jersey... woof, and the away looks like prison pajamas. First season jerseys were the best in my opinion. Wish they had continued the black and yellow third jersey.

Edited by Cicero

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

I'm sounding pretty negative in my last couple posts, but the last two seasons, the kits have been sub-par in my opinion. These home jerseys are the worst yet. I wasn't a fan of the orange initially, but it's grown on me. But this home jersey... woof, and the away looks like prison pajamas. First season jerseys were the best in my opinion. Wish they had continued the black and yellow third jersey.

I really liked the 2020 Home kit, although I don't think that was a popular opinion.

This year might be the first year where I prefer the away to the home.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I don’t think it’s an academy team per Se as it looks like from the article they have the same relationship as Forge has with Sigma and they are also going to announce similar partnerships with other clubs. 

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

I don’t think it’s an academy team per Se as it looks like from the article they have the same relationship as Forge has with Sigma and they are also going to announce similar partnerships with other clubs. 

It’s similar to what other CPL clubs are doing. What I do hope is that it extends past coaching and becomes the all-star team for those clubs.

I wonder if CPL teams can put youth teams into MLSNext?