Forge FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

Now that it appears roster departures, etc are coming out across the league, as far as I can see, there are only six players under contract for Forge next season:

Dominic Samuel (D), Garven Metusala (D), Alex Achinioti-Jonsson (M), Alessandro Hojabrpour (M), Aboubakar Sissoko (M), and Jordan Hamilton (F).

I might have missed players that have options...so will be interesting in who returns and who explores options to play elsewhere or opportunities to perhaps move up a level.

Edited by McFan70

Possible departures I'm curious about:

Welshman: Likely a starter at other clubs, but hasn't really carved out a role since returning from abroad. His heart seems to be here though, it seems he never wanted to leave the first time.

Nanco/Grant: neither can stay healthy long enough to contribute. At 28 and 29 to start next season, I wouldn't be surprised if either moves on from football.

I think Nanco and Grant's time with Forge may be nearly at an end. That said, with Vancouver FC opening up shop, there is hope they get scooped up to add some veteran presence to that team. I figure Bekker will stay until he's ready to move into coaching but who knows. 

The big question I have is who is moving onto bigger and better things. I would think Choinere and Woobens would be the top two in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, narduch said:

So who will be Forge's new manager?

We seem like a brand that is prided on continuity, so I would expect one of the assistants to move into the head coaching role. I’d love to see David Edgar take that next step, but Selaidopoulos is the more experienced manager.

As long as Costa isn’t a part of a package deal, I’d expect that Sigma pipeline to remain intact even after Bobby.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

We seem like a brand that is prided on continuity, so I would expect one of the assistants to move into the head coaching role. I’d love to see David Edgar take that next step, but Selaidopoulos is the more experienced manager.

As long as Costa isn’t a part of a package deal, I’d expect that Sigma pipeline to remain intact even after Bobby.

Do you think Bobby wouldn't bring some guys with him, as part of his backroom staff?

Typically managers do. At least 1 or 2 guys.

33 minutes ago, Shway said:

Do you think Bobby wouldn't bring some guys with him, as part of his backroom staff?

Typically managers do. At least 1 or 2 guys.

I could see it, the ties clearly run deep between him and Forge though. I don’t imagine they’d close that pipeline entirely. Worth noting the relationship with Axia, thus I think the Smyrniotis’  will ensure their people are kept in place.

Edited by Pottsy3
Realized you meant staff not players

He deserves the move up. I don't think Montreal will bite the bullet but I think they should. He comes in with a grounding in Canadian soccer and would fit into the culture Montreal had under Nancy. Whether the same problems that pushed him out would effect Bobby is another matter I guess.