Forge FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

• 3 weeks later...

if all those players return, it's a pretty solid core. I'd say still the best D+Mid group in the league. Even without Pacius, Borges-Campbell-Choiniere is a pretty solid front three. Other teams' fans are going to hate us more, but with many of our players entering their prime 25-30 age years, I can definitely see another year of league and/or tournament victory for Forge. Especially if we upgrade at GK.

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Perhaps one day we’ll actually be privy to these sorts of details. Fingers crossed 

Probably could match it, but you'd think they'd have to let someone go to do it. Their back five includes Rama, Belewu, Samuel, Metusala, Jonsson if he remains a CB and (currently unsigned) Morgan. That's got to be eating up a lot of the salary cap. They've got a lot of guys in their mid to late 20's now, I'd think some aren't going to want to stick it out for part-time wages. 

The backline instantly becomes our weak spot. It made a difference as soon as Krutzen returned last year. And while AAJ got glowing reviews at CB, I found him oft out of position, and would prefer him back at CDM. As much as Metusala has improved consistently, I don’t love him on the ball. I think we’ll need a new number 1 CB to fill this spot.

39 minutes ago, Cicero said:

...Probably could match it, but you'd think they'd have to let someone go to do it...

The USL championship doesn't have a rigid salary cap and has players making more than the MLS minimum according to this article from last summer.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/soccer/rising/2022/06/24/why-so-rare-usl-players-make-leap-mls/7527892001/

...That raises a separate set of issues. The MLS veteran minimum salary this season is $84,000 whereas USL stars can make upwards of $100,000. While MLS is inherently appealing to players as the country's top-level soccer league, it becomes less so with a trade-off of less money and less playing time...

CanPL was probably also aiming for that sort of scenario initially at the top end of its salary range but wound up downscaling the salary budgets from what was initially being talked about on podcasts and in newspaper articles (including the Hamilton Spectator).

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

39 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

The backline instantly becomes our weak spot. It made a difference as soon as Krutzen returned last year. And while AAJ got glowing reviews at CB, I found him oft out of position, and would prefer him back at CDM. As much as Metusala has improved consistently, I don’t love him on the ball. I think we’ll need a new number 1 CB to fill this spot.

I don't think it's weak defensively, but Krutzen definitely adds more going forward. We only gave up more than one goal four times last season, and one of those was a 4-3 win over Edmonton. Scoring dried up in August and September, so they limped home to second place in the league with a bunch of 1-0 losses and 1-1, 0-0 ties. I'd agree on Jonsson at CDM, but do we need Jonsson and Hojabrpour playing that role? That's a luxury I would say. I have a feeling Bekker may be winding down his role, or maybe even retiring, so that may change the look of our mid.  

Looking at the passing map for the final without Bekker, Hojabrpour and Jonsson really ran the offence, Jensen was pushed almost out as a left wing, and Krutzen's possessions look more like a left wingback than a cb. Looking at the passing, most of the game was played really deep in Ottawa's zone. Can't see the strategy of the final working with a Samuel-Metusala CB pairing. Samuel needs to be more of a stay-at-home guy, and neither passes as well as Jonsson or Krutzen. Have to think Smyrniotis is going to look to Belewu to step up and be the Krutzen-type defender in these situations. I think he's capable. Probably going to make a few more mistakes, but I thought he looked pretty solid most of the time he played, though I can remember one clearly boneheaded loss of possession near the end of the season where he tried to dribble forward in Forge's half and paid for it.

55 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't think it's weak defensively, but Krutzen definitely adds more going forward. We only gave up more than one goal four times last season, and one of those was a 4-3 win over Edmonton. Scoring dried up in August and September, so they limped home to second place in the league with a bunch of 1-0 losses and 1-1, 0-0 ties. I'd agree on Jonsson at CDM, but do we need Jonsson and Hojabrpour playing that role? That's a luxury I would say. I have a feeling Bekker may be winding down his role, or maybe even retiring, so that may change the look of our mid.  

Looking at the passing map for the final without Bekker, Hojabrpour and Jonsson really ran the offence, Jensen was pushed almost out as a left wing, and Krutzen's possessions look more like a left wingback than a cb. Looking at the passing, most of the game was played really deep in Ottawa's zone. Can't see the strategy of the final working with a Samuel-Metusala CB pairing. Samuel needs to be more of a stay-at-home guy, and neither passes as well as Jonsson or Krutzen. Have to think Smyrniotis is going to look to Belewu to step up and be the Krutzen-type defender in these situations. I think he's capable. Probably going to make a few more mistakes, but I thought he looked pretty solid most of the time he played, though I can remember one clearly boneheaded loss of possession near the end of the season where he tried to dribble forward in Forge's half and paid for it.

Jensen seems to go wherever he wants, just loves to role. I think Hojabrpour has the ability to add more going forward than AAJ, and I remember him doing so with Pacific.

Bobby loves a defensive line that can shift, I think that's why he uses so many CB's that also have an ability to play in a wide position. I agree on Belewu being asked to step up and honestly I had sorta forgot about him in my assessment. To me, he's looked like the most promising of the defensive bunch. 

Peter Schaale is the one option who comes to mind that could fit a Krutzen role seamlessly. Alternatively, I wonder if Nyal Higgins would be an option, as someone who looked solid at CB for FC Edmonton last year and has the mobility to play wide as well.