2023 Voyageurs Cup

The more teams are involved, and the longer the competition, the more I like it. Really enjoying seeing so many combinations, when it used to be too many repeat match-ups and few novelties. 

Perhaps the only thing that does not work for me is that our inevitable regional early rounds will likely lead to a final where one team's fans will find it hard to travel. Except of course if York pull off an upset. 

On 5/23/2023 at 11:07 AM, jonovision said:

I don't see either CPL side advancing tomorrow. Montreal is vulnerable, but Forge is not firing on all cylinders yet. And the Whitecaps seem like they might actually be decent. 

Honestly, Pacific seems like they're in a pretty good spot here. Whitecaps struggle to score at times, so Pacific grabbing one and forcing the Whitecaps to chase (and not getting it) isn't unreasonable. Then either Montreal or Forge have to travel cross-continent.

Whitecaps scored 2 on Sunday, 3 against Minnesota earlier this month, and 11 in 3 games against teams from lesser leagues (Real Espana and York United) and 5 against 10-man Montreal. They do seem to be able to bang in the goals when you'd them to be on the front foot. They've struggled against top quality opposition.

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Whitecaps scored 2 on Sunday, 3 against Minnesota earlier this month, and 11 in 3 games against teams from lesser leagues (Real Espana and York United) and 5 against 10-man Montreal. They do seem to be able to bang in the goals when you'd them to be on the front foot. They've struggled against top quality opposition.

True, but Montreal, Minnesota, and Real Espana (first leg) were at home. York was on the road. Real Espana leg 2 was on the road and they lost that. They scored only once in Portland and Dallas last week on the road. They haven't won an MLS away game in nearly a year. Whitecaps maybe should win, but it's far, far from a guarantee. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Only caught part of the first half but there appeared to be an obvious gap in quality between the two clubs unlike in 2021. Maybe word has filtered down from MLS ownership level that these games definitely have to be taken seriously and won convincingly.

The Whitecaps ownership was absolutely livid after the Whitecaps lost to Pacific the first time. Cost MDS his job, and have had to hear about how "BC is purple" for two years. Losing to a CPL side was not an option for Vanni.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Only caught part of the first half but there appeared to be an obvious gap in quality between the two clubs unlike in 2021. Maybe word has filtered down from MLS ownership level that these games definitely have to be taken seriously and won convincingly.

Similar thing had to happen between MLS and Liga MX. Early on the stronger league doesn't take the weaker league seriously so they can rest starters and still win. The weaker league can get the occasional upset until eventually the bigger league has to take it more seriously. The next step for the weaker league is to try to get more competitive again while the stronger league is taking it seriously.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Similar thing had to happen between MLS and Liga MX. Early on the stronger league doesn't take the weaker league seriously so they can rest starters and still win. The weaker league can get the occasional upset until eventually the bigger league has to take it more seriously. The next step for the weaker league is to try to get more competitive again while the stronger league is taking it seriously.

The switch to a single game elimination format (in the V-Cup) has also made the MLS-CPL gap more apparent.

In year one of the CPL, when the V-Cup was still home and away, the MLS teams started a lot of bench players for game one and then a stronger team for game two.  In six games against CPL teams that year, the MLS teams had 3 wins, 2 draws, and 1 loss.

Since the introduction of the single elimination format, the MLS teams having been playing stronger sides in all the games and are 13-1 against CPL opposition.

The two losses and one of the draws also came against the Whitecaps; the first draw and loss while the team was in a complete state of flux, having sold Davies, fired the manager, and burned the roster to the ground. The 2nd loss got MDS fired (with 0 wins over a CPL side).

I'm still convinced we'll see a CPL side lift the Voyageurs Cup one day, and it will be great. But the gap between leagues is still maybe more than some people want to admit.

Big gap sure, GAM, TAM Garber bucks and DP's will ensure the MLS side has 3-4 game changers out there that CPL cannot match.  But I think all 3 CDN MLS sides are under huge amounts of pressure (for various reasons) and finally are starting to see the CAN CHAMP as not a consolation prize but a way to put a positive spin on mixed results elsewhere.   TFC and Montreal really NEEDED this hardware.  

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Big gap sure, GAM, TAM Garber bucks and DP's will ensure the MLS side has 3-4 game changers out there that CPL cannot match.  But I think all 3 CDN MLS sides are under huge amounts of pressure (for various reasons) and finally are starting to see the CAN CHAMP as not a consolation prize but a way to put a positive spin on mixed results elsewhere.   TFC and Montreal really NEEDED this hardware.  

I don't think they've ever seen it as a consolation prize.  As far as I can tell, they've tried hard to win it every year.

7 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I don't think they've ever seen it as a consolation prize.  As far as I can tell, they've tried hard to win it every year.

Agreed. Montreal and Toronto have always prioritized the V Cup. The Whitecaps have started to in recent years as well.

I think it's good that the MLS sides are taking this more seriously, they have realized the risk of running out reserves vs good CPL teams, of course there is a gap between the leagues, just follow the money, it's a no brainer! I have watched Forge be reasonably competitive in 3 of their 4 contests with MLS, I honestly thought these games would be very ugly because of the financial gap, CPL has nothing to be ashamed of!

14 minutes ago, gator said:

I honestly thought these games would be very ugly because of the financial gap, CPL has nothing to be ashamed of!

The CPL teams have acquitted themselves quite well.

I was thinking about the possibility of a CPL team winning the V-Cup.  It seems unlikely for now but maybe one year all three MLS teams get drawn on the same side of the bracket and a CPL team pulls an upset in the final?

An interesting discussion on MLS Extratime this week, about how more MLS teams are starting to take the US Open seriously. That even good teams realize that winning MLS Cup or Supporters Shield is becoming increasingly tough, and the Open is viewed as a chance to win some legitimate silverware. I think this is the direction the Canadian teams are heading as well with the Voyageurs Cup. That it languished for a few years (for a variety of reasons) but it will start to become an increasingly valuable trophy to win.