2023 Voyageurs Cup

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Not sure there really is a favourite. Probably I would go with the Whitecaps just because their side of the draw seems a bit easier. In the East TFC and Montreal have to play each other, and whoever wins might have to play Forge next which always gives the MLS teams a tough game. Whitecaps are looking at York or Vancouver, then perhaps Cavalry which should be pretty tough too, but not as tough as Montreal or TFC, and York/Vancouver aren't as tough as Forge (as much as I hate to say it).

You’re thinking Cavalry get past Pacific on the road?

Whitecaps will have to get past Cavalry or Pacific, the last two teams to knock them out, but they’ll get them at home this time

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Whitecaps will have to get past Cavalry or Pacific, the last two teams to knock them out, but they’ll get them at home this time

Whitecaps did beat Cavalry on the road last year. Having said that, the early returns on the Whitecaps is they're struggling to finish. Play them tight and 1 goal could win it.

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don't really know, but I think that would be the Whitecaps worse case scenario. Pacific are a good team, but I still think Cavalry are a bit better.

9 hours ago, Cblake said:

Hopefully they do not schedule TFC-MTL and York-Whitecaps on the same night, would be fun to hit up both. I would think York would want to have their own night too. 

3 QF matches are in the east, so hopefully it’s Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday scheduling for those and then the west game is whenever. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

3 QF matches are in the east, so hopefully it’s Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday scheduling for those and then the west game is whenever. 

I could see the Ottawa/Forge match being the same night as one of the other two eastern quarter-finals. All six teams playing in the east have league games on Saturday, May 13th. The Whitecaps are at Portland and Ottawa is at Vancouver FC. Thursday is not ideal at all for anyone of these teams, could see it being avoided all together. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

It's interesting how the semi-finals are lining up.

Each semi final should end up being an MLS team v one of the stronger CPL teams.

Whitecaps v Cavalry or Pacific. 

TFC or Montreal v Forge or Ottawa 

I'm hoping for Pacific-Whitecaps for the local angle.

Even the eastern quarters are pretty compelling games.

As a TFC fan I'm getting kind of tired of always playing Montreal in this tournament instead of someone new but it's hard to argue with the rivalry.

And on the topic of rivalries, I think Ottawa-Forge has a lot more going for it than the Forge-Calvary thing the league keeps trying to hype.

34 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I'm hoping for Pacific-Whitecaps for the local angle.

Even the eastern quarters are pretty compelling games.

As a TFC fan I'm getting kind of tired of always playing Montreal in this tournament instead of someone new but it's hard to argue with the rivalry.

And on the topic of rivalries, I think Ottawa-Forge has a lot more going for it than the Forge-Calvary thing the league keeps trying to hype.

I disagree that it is league hype. Those have legitimately been some of the spiciest and most intriguing games over the course of the CPL's existence. As a neutral, those are the games I want to make sure I watch.

3 minutes ago, masster said:

I disagree that it is league hype. Those have legitimately been some of the spiciest and most intriguing games over the course of the CPL's existence. As a neutral, those are the games I want to make sure I watch.

Fair enough.  They have happened to meet in some of the most important matches in the league's short history, so there is that.  I just think Ottawa has a bigger potential for an actual rivalry even when the teams don't happen to meet up in matches that are important on their own.

57 minutes ago, narduch said:

Quarter finals are set. They will be May 9-11.

20230421_074550.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the schedule they set, hopefully the matches at TFC and York are not on the same night, would love to attend both !

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

Anyone seen any attendance numbers for the games at York, TSS, or Pacific?

It was never published for York, It was 1000+, maybe a little more from what I saw. It was one ticket for both matches and the Ottawa and Halifax fans left before the York/Vancouver nightcap. The fan bus Atletico Ottawa had left at 7:30 Of the four teams, Ottawa had the most vocal/loudest supporters. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I think there were only about 2200 at the Pacific game, but I heard there were also ~1500 people with bought tickets that didn't show. The weather was atrocious. We were all freezing

This is not a condemnation of Pacific or the fans at all, but it does highlight how tricky it is to get fans out midweek for the Voyageurs Cup. If you're here on the forum, you're already sold. But boy, it hasn't translated to the casuals like I'd hoped it would.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

This is not a condemnation of Pacific or the fans at all, but it does highlight how tricky it is to get fans out midweek for the Voyageurs Cup. If you're here on the forum, you're already sold. But boy, it hasn't translated to the casuals like I'd hoped it would.

I disagree to an extent. I see plenty of folks on here that don't support CPL and actively seem to campaign against it. I also think selling ~3500+ for a midweek, early round voyageurs cup match on a dismal night in Langford against a team they play again in a couple days, and in the midst of 3 home games in 8 days to start the season, is actually pretty good. I hope for far better, but I see improvement.

From my perspective talking to folks in the stands, the attitude towards the team and the competition has shifted drastically since year 1 imo. More and more fans actually seem to understand what they're watching now, and know what a good outcome means for the team.

20 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I disagree to an extent. I see plenty of folks on here that don't support CPL and actively seem to campaign against it. I also think selling ~3500+ for a midweek

Ah, I misread that as 2200 with 1500 not showing. Yeah, that's better then.

On 4/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, narduch said:

Schedule is confirmed. 

The Forge and TFC will have their matches at the same time.

Screenshot_20230421_151343_Chrome.jpg

As TFC season ticket holder, happy that the York Whitecaps match is the night after , will let me go to both. Figure it was better that York was not playing at the same time as TFC as it would have been for Forge. Also the Whitecaps having to travel from the west coast came into consideration. 

York tickets go on sale Wednesday by the way. 

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/york-united-fc-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-toronto-ontario/event/10005E94941413BC

With the Whitecaps in town does York see a boost in attendance, do they at least surpass 2,500? Would be nice if they did. I was at their VCup match in 2019 vs. Montreal when they drew 5,252, their biggest crowd ever in club history. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

With the Whitecaps in town does York see a boost in attendance, do they at least surpass 2,500? Would be nice if they did. I was at their VCup match in 2019 vs. Montreal when they drew 5,252, their biggest crowd ever in club history. 

I will be very disappointed if they don't get over 2,500 for that game. We shall see I suppose!