3 Prairies

5 Ontario

3 Quebec/Atlantic 

How is this gonna work?

West Group - Whitecaps, Vancouver (CPL), Pacific, TSS Rovers

Central Group -  EDM, Calvery, Valour

Ontario Group - TFC, York United, Forge, Vaughn

East Group - Ottawa, CF Montreal, HFX , Blainville 

A `16th team would be helpful, but where does it come from, the easiest would be a second L1O entry. 

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

West Group - Whitecaps, Vancouver (CPL), Pacific, TSS Rovers

Central Group -  EDM, Calvery, Valour

Ontario Group - TFC, York United, Forge, Vaughn

East Group - Ottawa, CF Montreal, HFX , Blainville 

A `16th team would be helpful, but where does it come from, the easiest would be a second L1O entry. 

Whitecaps will likely get a bye as defending champions. So they'll probably combine your West and Central for 6 teams for 3 winners + Caps. Then combine Ontario and east (8 teams = 4 winners). If Edmonton folds, it messes that up a bit though 

44 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Whitecaps will likely get a bye as defending champions. So they'll probably combine your West and Central for 6 teams for 3 winners + Caps. Then combine Ontario and east (8 teams = 4 winners). If Edmonton folds, it messes that up a bit though 

I do not see the D3 teams being sent out of province in the first round, so what they could do is, draw the first round BC CPL/L1BC match up and the other CPL team either Pacific or VFC being drawn into the group with EDM, Cal and Valour. That way you could keep the Ontario and East Groups intact. I am sure some sort of travel subsidy would be in place if a D3 team every advanced far enough to play across the country.

9 hours ago, Cblake said:

I do not see the D3 teams being sent out of province in the first round, so what they could do is, draw the first round BC CPL/L1BC match up and the other CPL team either Pacific or VFC being drawn into the group with EDM, Cal and Valour. That way you could keep the Ontario and East Groups intact. I am sure some sort of travel subsidy would be in place if a D3 team every advanced far enough to play across the country.

I would agree with that, but it's not what they did in prior years. In 2022, Mont-Royal had to go to Hamilton, while Guelph would've had to go to Halifax if they didn't draw them at home. In 2019, Vaughan had to go to Halifax and Blainville went to Halifax in 2018

Winnipeg is much further though, so maybe they make an exception where TSS can't face them on the road. 

Edited by rydermike

7 minutes ago, rydermike said:

I would agree with that, but it's not what they did in prior years. In 2022, Mont-Royal had to go to Hamilton, while Guelph would've had to go to Halifax if they didn't draw them at home. In 2019, Vaughan had to go to Halifax and Blainville went to Halifax in 2018

Winnipeg is much further though, so maybe they make an exception where TSS can't face them on the road. 

I was just thinking now that you have D3 in BC, teams of that level will never have to criss cross the country unless they advance to a later round. I should have not said out of province, just something that would be within reason. I mean the US Open Cub will drives down the regional thing in the early rounds but then I am not even sure some of the USADA level teams have the infrastructure of our L1 sides. 

I would like to see a different approach than last year...

Round 1

3 league one teams draw against bottom 3 cpl teams from last season. Since Van FC aren't ranked it would be easiest to assign them 9th place for this year's cup.

Round 2

5 cpl teams + 3 winners from round one.  Top 4 teams are seeded.

Round 3 - 1/4 final

1 cpl champ + 3 MLS teams vs 4 winners from round 2

Round 4 - semi final

Round 5 - final

Seems strange that a new CPL club is entered into an inter-league cup competition before they've even kicked a ball, but perhaps that's just my familiarity with the FA Cup coming into play, in which you have to complete at least one league season before you can enter. I suppose 2019 set the Canadian precedent of going straight in.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, Amac09 said:

I would like to see a different approach than last year...

Round 1

3 league one teams draw against bottom 3 cpl teams from last season. Since Van FC aren't ranked it would be easiest to assign them 9th place for this year's cup.

Round 2

5 cpl teams + 3 winners from round one.  Top 4 teams are seeded.

Round 3 - 1/4 final

1 cpl champ + 3 MLS teams vs 4 winners from round 2

Round 4 - semi final

Round 5 - final

Something like this would work.  I guess it depends whether you prefer to see teams enter at different rounds based on performance or you prefer the geographic arrangement we've seen recently.

• 1 month later...

From the article:  "The full details for the draw, including how clubs will be divided into pots, will be revealed on Jan. 24."

I'm looking forward to seeing how they divide things up this year.  I'm always excited for this tournament.

I'm also wondering about the chances of upsets.  On one side, we've got a couple of solid D3 teams and an expansion CPL club.  On the other side, none of the MLS teams are coming into this in solid form.  As always, it will be fun!   

6 hours ago, Kingston said:

From the article:  "The full details for the draw, including how clubs will be divided into pots, will be revealed on Jan. 24."

I'm looking forward to seeing how they divide things up this year.  I'm always excited for this tournament.

I'm also wondering about the chances of upsets.  On one side, we've got a couple of solid D3 teams and an expansion CPL club.  On the other side, none of the MLS teams are coming into this in solid form.  As always, it will be fun!   

14 teams, with Whitecaps and Toronto getting the first round bye.

That leaves 12 teams - dividing into 3 groups by geography makes sense?

West: Pacific, Rovers, Vancouver FC, Cavalry
Central: Valour, Forge, Vaughan, York
East: Ottawa, Laval, Montreal, HFX

Edited by K Edgar

2023 A home game for York United would be nice!   

2022 away to Atletico Ottawa, away to Pacific FC, semi-final away to MLS Vancouver Whitecaps

2021 home to L1O Masters FA, away to Toronto FC 

2020 CPL finalist decided during play in PEI in Island Games 

2019  wow home and away:  PLSQ AS Blainville, FC Edmonton, MLS Montreal Impact   

On 1/17/2023 at 12:02 PM, Kingston said:

Ah bold statement, considering the season hasn't started yet. 😉

14 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

2023 A home game for York United would be nice!   

2022 away to Atletico Ottawa, away to Pacific FC, semi-final away to MLS Vancouver Whitecaps

2021 home to L1O Masters FA, away to Toronto FC 

2020 CPL finalist decided during play in PEI in Island Games 

2019  wow home and away:  PLSQ AS Blainville, FC Edmonton, MLS Montreal Impact   

This is why I'm a big fan of the home and away format instead of single game knock outs.

https://canpl.ca/article/2023-canchamp-draw-what-you-need-to-know-pots-dates-venue-availability-more

"Halifax Wanderers, Valour FC, Cavalry FC and Vancouver FC would not be able to host in the preliminary round of Canadian Championship play because of stadium availability and weather considerations."

Edited by K Edgar