2023 Voyageurs Cup

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Still two out of eight non-MLS quarter finalists this season so looks like there is still some way to go on that.

Birmingham didn't face an MLS side until the last round, and then won while up a man. Pittsburgh has two 1-0 wins against MLS opposition. That happens, just like it happens in all Cup competitions around the world.

27 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This is great news and should help teams in the future. 

NEWS | #VWFC will be donating $1 from every #CanChamp Final ticket to League1 BC to host in future tournaments

$1 from every Canadian Championship Final ticket to go to League1 BC hosting opportunities | Vancouver Whitecaps (whitecapsfc.com)

That's a very cool thing for them to do.

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

This is great news and should help teams in the future. 

NEWS | #VWFC will be donating $1 from every #CanChamp Final ticket to League1 BC to host in future tournaments

$1 from every Canadian Championship Final ticket to go to League1 BC hosting opportunities | Vancouver Whitecaps (whitecapsfc.com)

FYI, in addition to the $1, if you go through an L1BC club link in the article, that club will get an additional $5. So if anyone here is thinking of going, you can support L1BC while doing so.

Whitecaps post-game show, Vanni said he was hoping Ahmed would be back for the game on the 21st. So, won't be playing in the Final. Hinted it would be a WFC2 call up that gets a start, with the speculation it would be Johnson.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Whitecaps post-game show, Vanni said he was hoping Ahmed would be back for the game on the 21st. So, won't be playing in the Final. Hinted it would be a WFC2 call up that gets a start, with the speculation it would be Johnson.

Johnson is definitely the logical choice. Gave us something different in attack, played well against York, and doesn’t expose us defensively like Yao/Hasal would. Certainly have to think it will be one of Coupland or Habibullah if it’s not Johnson.

Congratulations to the Whitecaps on their third championship.

Total attendance for this year's tournament was just over 80 000 with an average attendance of just under 6200.  Both of those numbers are at the very low end historically.

All time total attendance for the tournament is now over 1.3 million.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Total attendance for this year's tournament was just over 80 000 with an average attendance of just under 6200.  Both of those numbers are at the very low end historically.

I think that attendance is just the result of the MLS sides hosting fewer games this year? That's not a complaint, just a comment on more games being hosted in smaller stadiums this year.

7 hours ago, Kingston said:

It's not only @Watchmen's good explanation, it'll continue to be a lower average the more CPL clubs we have and the more L1 teams are involved.

Even the FA Cup, in this year's competition 2,016,000 attended 244 matches, 14,000 average. Far below EPL, below the Championship, above League One.

Does anyone here know if season ticket holders for CF Montreal got the first home game included? I just noticed that their preliminary round game against Vaughan had a higher attendance than their semi final against Forge.

There definitely were some games you wish would have had more fans. York United's game against Vancouver FC had fewer than 1000 fans (not to mention the Ottawa vs HFX game was hosted at York United's stadium, attendance doesn't look like it was reported). That was disappointing but it might even be more disappointing that York's next home game against the Whitecaps didn't even draw 2000 fans. TFC couldn't draw 20,000 against Montreal. I don't know what TFC's attendance has been like this season, but a Canadian Championship game against Montreal SHOULD be a big draw in my opinion (says the TFC fan that didn't go).

It was an entertaining tournament though. TSS Rovers getting a historic win, one of the best set of penalties taken (Pacific vs Cavalry) followed by one of the worst set of penalties taken (Forge vs Atletico), and an outstanding final.

23 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think that attendance is just the result of the MLS sides hosting fewer games this year? That's not a complaint, just a comment on more games being hosted in smaller stadiums this year.

Probably not just the smaller stadiums but also the matchups.  Back in the day, many of the smaller stadium matchups were still against MLS teams.  So the smaller stadium would sell out or a big crowd.  Now we've got Pacific hosting Cavalry on a random Thursday in April (not to pick on them specifically).  It loses some of the appeal because it looks like just another league game.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I... um... I don't know what to say. I wouldn't have believed a thing like that happened if I didn't see it. And even after seeing it, I am half wondering if this is some next level AI generated video, because I feel like a human wouldn't come up with having Vanni Sartini singing with Nickelback with the Voyageurs Cup on stage.

• 3 weeks later...