2023 Voyageurs Cup

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

I know little (nothing if we're being honest) about FC Laval and the Vaughan Azzuri.  Which one has the better chance at an upset? 

I would say Forge are pretty good at managing knock out competitions and will get the job done v Laval. I don't think Laval even started their season yet.

The Montreal v Vaughan match is more intriguing. Montreal may choose to play a reserve side if the manager feels a league win is more important to save his ass. Vaughan has stocked up in ex CPLers too.

42 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Montreal v Vaughan match is more intriguing. Montreal may choose to play a reserve side if the manager feels a league win is more important to save his ass. Vaughan has stocked up in ex CPLers too.

I, for one, would be delighted to see the first ever D3 upset be against Montreal.

Plus Vaughan would end up at TFC for the second round which is about as good an away game as I can imagine for them.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

On the other hand, nothing would hastening his exit faster than losing to a D3 side. Hell, losing to a CPL side cost MDS his job (though granted he did it twice and never beat a CPL team in 3 tries).

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

I, for one, would be delighted to see the first ever D3 upset be against Montreal.

Plus Vaughan would end up at TFC for the second round which is about as good an away game as I can imagine for them.

I'd be happy for a D3 win over either a CPL or MLS side. Just seeing a D3 team advance would be a good boost for the tournament. 

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

For Fubo subscribers you will get Montreal v Vaughan tomorrow on One Soccer. 

Hoping they will make Forge v Laval free on YouTube 

I have OS only and I have the choice of either game on my App. Therefore, I think the “other” game will be behind the paywall.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I have OS only and I have the choice of either game on my App. Therefore, I think the “other” game will be behind the paywall.

I hear a fan bus from Ottawa is making the trek down to Toronto the VCup match vs. HFX on Wednesday, that will make things fun in the stands.

22 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I hear a fan bus from Ottawa is making the trek down to Toronto the VCup match vs. HFX on Wednesday, that will make things fun in the stands.

I know the club organized a same day bus which was really reasonably priced.  

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

Would love to see VFC beat York on Wednesday to then see them host the Whitecaps. Would this be the first local derby of the Cup?  

Also, rooting hard for Vaughan, Laval, and Rovers. Love to see some giant killings!

I guess you would count TFC York a derby, they played each other in 2021 in the pouring rain at BMO Field. 

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

In and out privileges are being granted for the double header tomorrow at York, will be nice to pop out to the pub for a pint between the two matches. 

No description available.

Wait, it says "until 7:00pm" which means by the time the first game ends, you can't leave and come back. So it's only during the first game that you can leave and come back, which doesn't make sense. Unless it's poorly/wrongly worded?

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Wait, it says "until 7:00pm" which means by the time the first game ends, you can't leave and come back. So it's only during the first game that you can leave and come back, which doesn't make sense. Unless it's poorly/wrongly worded?

Yeah it is weird, the first game is at 5 pm, so it should at least until that match has ended so if people do not want to hang around in the stadium for an hour or so they can head off for a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This thread is too positive so I need to bring some curmudgeon!

Why do we start this competition so early?  Can we not start at least a month later and still fit it in before snow falls?

Signed,

Grumpy old Wanderers fan with a home game in Toronto.

So the 3 MLS teams can play in their plastic US-Mexico tournament in July

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Who are favourites this year?

Not sure there really is a favourite. Probably I would go with the Whitecaps just because their side of the draw seems a bit easier. In the East TFC and Montreal have to play each other, and whoever wins might have to play Forge next which always gives the MLS teams a tough game. Whitecaps are looking at York or Vancouver, then perhaps Cavalry which should be pretty tough too, but not as tough as Montreal or TFC, and York/Vancouver aren't as tough as Forge (as much as I hate to say it).