Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I personally don't go much anymore because there are too many political banners in the Southside and the stadium. Not really my thing. It doesnt feel welcoming. Canadians dont really speak up because they dont like to be disruptive but i know other people that dont like the vibe. Its also just really tough getting in and out of downtown Vancouver. 

I also don't go - different reasons - but I'm curious what these banners are.

8 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Nice! Now start showing up ya bunch of granola-munching, star-gazing, recycled plastic plaid-wearing fucks! Team deserves better.

Do they?  I mean, they're a midtable team who has don't little over the last decade to instill confidence in their trajectory.  Just my opinion.  I'm happy for them, and think this will go a long way to get some fans back, but they've hardly been world beaters and aren't just entitled to fans. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I also don't go - different reasons - but I'm curious what these banners are.

Typical grab bag of extreme left wing bs that's always rammed down our throat. I personally go to a sporting event to get a break from the constant politicization of everything. I don't need to be an extra in a couple self curtained ego maniacs attempt to make it seems like everyone is down with their world view. But I guess they can do what they want and others can do what I want. I do feel bad for the Whitecaps but that's life

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Typical grab bag of extreme left wing bs that's always rammed down out throat. I personally go to a sporting event to get a break from the constant politicization of everything. I don't need to be an extra in a couple self curtained ego maniacs attempt to make it seems like everyone is down with their world view. But I guess they can do what they want and others can do what I want. I do feel bad for the Whitecaps but that's life

What is typical?  Can you give an example? (Genuine curiosity)

Edit: Looks like there was some explanation a few posts back. Forget who. 

Edited by RJB

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Because Canadian nationals don't actually move the needle. It's a mid-week game, which always draws poorly. They lost a segment of fans over the years by being truly awful and cheap, and those fans distrust short-term results. Disposable income is less available. 

And no, VFC hasn't really impacted them.

I agree with all this.  For me as well, it has become far more expensive to go and stay in Vancouver, even for one night, since I don't have a free (friend/family) accommodation easily available.  I chose my once a year trip this year to try VFC instead and that wasn't a whole lot  cheaper 

37 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I agree with all this.  For me as well, it has become far more expensive to go and stay in Vancouver, even for one night, since I don't have a free (friend/family) accommodation easily available.  I chose my once a year trip this year to try VFC instead and that wasn't a whole lot  cheaper 

Indirectly related to this, but I've heard the 730pm start for every game is also a problem. Harder for people on the Island to attend, or families with smaller children.  I've heard the consistent 730 start is actually a complaint across the league, and I would expect more variance in times next year.

I would say for 50% of the Lower Mainland getting in and out of dt during the weekday is impossible. Even on weekends your best to get a hotel or it doesn't feel worth it. Who can afford that.

If you look at the 50% in that urban bubble I'd say 50% are international students or new Canadians. The other half i dont know what theyre about. I think theyll go to the game get drunk wave their flags but theyre not really big sports people. The Caps should build a stadium in Surrey or market directly to those skytrain living people. But they have no money or dont care about soccer. I'm just being real. They've also really been hurt by the loss of TSN1040 and that partnership. Sportsnet barely cares and the games are on a news station. Apple deal has totally hurt them. It's just a bunch of factors but I think they desperately need to centralize where they play and get out of Vancouver. But I'm more in to CPL anyways so whatever 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 10/5/2023 at 8:19 AM, RJB said:

Do they?  I mean, they're a midtable team who has don't little over the last decade to instill confidence in their trajectory.  Just my opinion.  I'm happy for them, and think this will go a long way to get some fans back, but they've hardly been world beaters and aren't just entitled to fans. 

I think they do. 2 Canadian chips in a row and tied for 4th (3 points out of 2nd) in the west. Being 26th out of 29 teams in attendance is pathetic...but also, just my opinion. If they don't have fans back by now I'm guessing they probably won't until they get deep in the playoffs. Hopefully fans come back👍

Incredible how tight things are in the West. 

Seems Caps need one win to ensure that they avoid the Wild Card.

To get home advantage in a playoff round best of 3, a win may not be enough, especially since RSL have a game in hand.

With the international window coming, I think it's okay for the team to be playing for something to stay sharp for later.

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Incredible how tight things are in the West. 

Seems Caps need one win to ensure that they avoid the Wild Card.

To get home advantage in a playoff round best of 3, a win may not be enough, especially since RSL have a game in hand.

With the international window coming, I think it's okay for the team to be playing for something to stay sharp for later.

I'm expecting this to be a pretty open game, with both teams going for it.  Will be watching the out of town scores as well.

Good travelling contingent for this one, at least 200 that I know of.

I'll be the first to tell you stats don't paint the full picture... but people have to be asking questions why Habibullah still can't get a fair look when compared to the others on this list.  I definitely feel VWFC fans have short term memory loss and get excited by new names like Coupland, but he's done more with less so who really deserves the chance next season? 

Having watched all the games, those numbers could have easily been double with some good fortune.  Even the area's where he's critiqued (defensively/work rate), he's showing up with good numbers.  

Will be very interesting to see how Vancouver manages young players moving forward now that the 1st team is performing at a decent level.  Do they release and sign new Homegrowns?  Do they go away from signing Homegrowns all together?  Is anyone younger even ready to step up?

23 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I'll be the first to tell you stats don't paint the full picture... but people have to be asking questions why Habibullah still can't get a fair look when compared to the others on this list.  I definitely feel VWFC fans have short term memory loss and get excited by new names like Coupland, but he's done more with less so who really deserves the chance next season

Having watched all the games, those numbers could have easily been double with some good fortune.  Even the area's where he's critiqued (defensively/work rate), he's showing up with good numbers.  

Will be very interesting to see how Vancouver manages young players moving forward now that the 1st team is performing at a decent level.  Do they release and sign new Homegrowns?  Do they go away from signing Homegrowns all together?  Is anyone younger even ready to step up?

Who really deserves the chance next season? I don't think any of them do.

So after the RSL draw yesterday, it's:

In order to finish in the top four, and secure home field advantage in the first round, Whitecaps FC will need to win on Decision Day and have two of the following three scenarios occur:

Houston loss/draw at Portland

Seattle loss at St. Louis

Real Salt Lake loss or draws in their remaining match at Colorado on Decision Day.

As adapted from their website.

Caps winning is tough but doable, as LA is playing for 2nd spot. As Portland are playing to make the playoffs, a Houston draw or loss there is quite possible. Seattle play vs a team already first; RSL play against a team dead last, so neither game favours Vancouver.

As a Caps win and Sounders loss puts us even on points and wins, what is the tiebreaker, goal difference? That would be in our favour necessarily as now we are tied +7.

We could end third, fourth, fifth or sixth, and the likely scenario has us play any of RSL, Seattle or Houston, with or without home advantage. We could also play LA with them having home advantage.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As a Caps win and Sounders loss puts us even on points and wins, what is the tiebreaker, goal difference? That would be in our favour necessarily as now we are tied +7.

We could end third, fourth, fifth or sixth, and the likely scenario has us play any of RSL, Seattle or Houston, with or without home advantage. We could also play LA with them having home advantage.

First tie-breaker is wins, and a win on Decision Day for the Whitecaps/Loss for Seattle would leave them tied on that.  Second tie-breaker I believe is goal difference, which as you point out would favour the Whitecaps.

I do think the most likely scenario is finishing 6th, and a match up vs Seattle.

Technically more of a "2024" discussion, but listening to AFTN from today, and they're discussing Whitecaps season ticket renewals for next year. They talked with the club, and the club is at a 94% renewal rate (their highest ever). As well, since September 1st they've added 1500 new season tickets for next year (up from 600 over the same period last year).

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Laryea is making $1.4 million. 

Adekugbe $800k.

Hoilett $228k

Have heard from a few places (including the last AFTN podcast) that the Whitecaps don't want Laryea as a DP. Want him on a TAM level deal instead. We'll see how that unfolds.

And Adekugbe getting the "Canadian" bump there. I like him a lot, but 800k for a leftback is a lot.

Edited by Watchmen

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Schopf is on a million a year, non DP.  Hmm?

What happened to Martins?  

Free transfer.  Players always get a higher salary if they're free.

I've been wondering where Martins is.  I get that Adekugbe has taken his spot in the starting line up, but I would have thought we'd see him more off the bench.  Especially now that they've reverted to 3 at the back with wing backs, where Martins is probably stronger.

As we stand, I would not keep Laryea, but if we have a very good playoff run and he figures positively, I appreciate the opinion could change. 

Hoillet at that price is an easy keep, he is savvy and has plenty of little details he can contribute. Adekugbe, the same, if he wants to be back in Canada / Vancouver. If his mind is elsewhere, maybe not.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As we stand, I would not keep Laryea, but if we have a very good playoff run and he figures positively, I appreciate the opinion could change. 

Hoillet at that price is an easy keep, he is savvy and has plenty of little details he can contribute. Adekugbe, the same, if he wants to be back in Canada / Vancouver. If his mind is elsewhere, maybe not.

Adekugbe is already signed for next year.

I don't think Hoilett signs an extension at that price. I suspect that was simply about the max they could give him and with only 8 games to go he was willing to take it and renegotiate/search for another club in the winter.

I would certainly not take Laryea at that price.