Malcolm Simmons

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

No no, I'm just saying that we track such obscure players, it's funny to me that a kid who is good enough for Benfica academy slipped passed us for so long. That said, if I'm not mistaken, his former club was in the 5th division of Portugal (which begs the question of how we got there in the first place), so it's not like he was on the radar, but I don't think he's ever been to any of our youth camps, has he?

We as a group need to get our collective act together! 

Have you seen the comprehensive list of Canucks Abroad? There are literally thousands of Canadians playing professionally all over the world. We can't possibly track them all until they start to move up the ladder. Simmons was only noticed now because of the move from 5th division Portugal to Benfica's youth team. IMO this is exactly how this process is supposed to work. He did not slip past us.

42 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I stopped listening to Galindos opinions on youth players after the u20 qualifying. Most of the guys he said were ones to keep an eye on were horrible.

Anyone can say, so and so plays for a big club youth team, keep an eye on him.. I would be much more impressed if he had mentioned this guy 2 months ago when noone knew who he was.

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I stopped listening to Galindos opinions on youth players after the u20 qualifying. Most of the guys he said were ones to keep an eye on were horrible.

Anyone can say, so and so plays for a big club youth team, keep an eye on him.. I would be much more impressed if he had mentioned this guy 2 months ago when noone knew who he was.

Was anyone’s assessment of our U20s correct, aside from thinking Justin smith was gonna be good? 

21 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

In the end the Northern Futbol guys are fans just like us. 

I like their podcast too but they often make cringeworthy factual errors 

Northern Futbol is a good entry point to Canadian soccer- you have to keep in mind that these guys will cover about a dozen+ leagues per episode, obscure prospects, women, youth, etc., so while you should always get your info right, I think it’s permissible for them to make a couple errors here and there or forget about a player, like this guy, who apparently no one in Canada knew existed until like last week, because there’s just so much to talk about and these guys are doing it DIY. Until soccer is big enough for these guys to be able to do this full time, then I think we have to appreciate what they do for what it is.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

You can't judge youth players by an international tournament where they had 0 camp/preparation prior it. No chemistry. No tactics. 

You should judge your federación instead.

Edited by P-O

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had my first look at Simmons yesterday as he played the second half for Whitecaps 2 in MLS NextPro. 

He played as a 6. Moved very comfortably in the middle of the field. At one point, controlled and dribbled out of being surrounded by three opponents. 

Progressed the ball very quickly with strong forward and one-touch passes. 

His movement is similar to Kone - very smooth and closes ground quickly. 

Defensively, he looked a little tentative and did not aggressively challenge opponents but that may be a function of the team's defensive style.

Overall, team - and midfield - play improved when he joined the game. 

Could definitely see a player with MLS potential.