Malcolm Simmons

How has this guy slipped completely through the cracks? We have threads on guys playing in the 5th division in France, but a young guy playing in Portugal slipped passed? Funny. Any reason to believe he's a dual national? Only found one site that lists his only nationality as Canadian, but don't know where he was born or where his family may be from.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

How has this guy slipped completely through the cracks? We have threads on guys playing in the 5th division in France, but a young guy playing in Portugal slipped passed? Funny. Any reason to believe he's a dual national? Only found one site that lists his only nationality as Canadian, but don't know where he was born or where his family may be from.

Quebec I believe 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He just signed actually, I wanted to make a post but got side tracked.

Just now, Dominic94 said:

He just signed actually, I wanted to make a post but got side tracked.

No no, I'm just saying that we track such obscure players, it's funny to me that a kid who is good enough for Benfica academy slipped passed us for so long. That said, if I'm not mistaken, his former club was in the 5th division of Portugal (which begs the question of how we got there in the first place), so it's not like he was on the radar, but I don't think he's ever been to any of our youth camps, has he?

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

No no, I'm just saying that we track such obscure players, it's funny to me that a kid who is good enough for Benfica academy slipped passed us for so long. That said, if I'm not mistaken, his former club was in the 5th division of Portugal (which begs the question of how we got there in the first place), so it's not like he was on the radar, but I don't think he's ever been to any of our youth camps, has he?

He was already tracked by Canucks Abroad to be fair. And for how he got to his previous club, there’s quite a few clubs/academies in Canada that have good relationships with some clubs in Europe. First one that springs to mind is Woodbridge Strikers and ESTAC Troyes (they have had kids trial in France the last few years). I know Vaughn Azzuri also have contacts with clubs in the lower levels of Italy.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Agreed but the player pool is getting so big it’s probably time to only track the ones at higher levels.

We are passed the days where a kid in Europe is a big deal. This is the new norm.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Errr..youth camps..what dat??? Seriously though, there has been such inactivity in our youth programs that young players aren't even thinking about repping Canada at youth level unless they are in Canada. If our programs were active, players or their agents, would probably reach out to the CSA. This is why the CSA needs to be better organized and funded. While there's not a whole lot going on for youth in Concacaf the US & Mexico often play friendlies vs high level youth teams and give their young players exposure. Btw these comments are not solely due to Malcolm being an"unknown". It also applies to many duals that play youth soccer for European countries.

12 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Agreed but the player pool is getting so big it’s probably time to only track the ones at higher levels.

We are passed the days where a kid in Europe is a big deal. This is the new norm.

At youth level you need to cast your net as wide as possible as it's a guessing game as to which player will turn  pro. Take a look at Eustaquio. He wasn't at a high level when he started in 3rd div Portugal. The issue is funding for youth programs. Really hoping the CPL will at some point be in a position to have club academies

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Maybe you hadn't heard of him because he's from the wrong side of Belgrade ;)?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist