Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Couldnt they have signed one of the whitecaps 2 kids??  TFC has brought in a bunch of kids on short term contracts.  

Boehmer is the main WFC2 kid, and he's part of the group isolating now.  WFC2 also has a game this weekend, as does the the new League 1 team that has their opener.  So, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4th stringer (Ben Alexander) on the bench for them but it's still a bit of a mess.

15 hours ago, dhawk11 said:

Charlotte players must be licking their chops in the training session today. Never seen anything like this, then again we are in a pandemic. Would be a miracle if the Caps pull a win out of this match, draw could be nice. 

Remember when the leafs lost to the Zambezi driver?

York also played on the island last night. I suppose they just like him better than Irving. Those 2 were probably the only real options.

Edited by Stryker911

15 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Should have sign Giantsopoulos or one of the CPL keepers in the first place.

Do you mean at the start of the season or after Hasal got injured?  Because at the start of the season it was clear they wanted to go with Hasal as the #1.  We bemoan our young keepers not getting playing time, so to pull one out of CPL to bet the backup isn't necessarily what they would want to do.

Glad Max Anchor got to make his pro debut today.  Understandably nervous early, let down by the defense late.  I'm not going to nitpick on the game of a 17 year old in a one-off game called up on an emergency basis.

39 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sartini on Sportsnet 650 just now. Said winning the Voyageurs Cup was more important to the club than making the playoffs. Maybe he said it because the Whitecaps are basically out of the playoffs already. 

Or maybe he said it because it's their best chance of making Champions League?

So, I don't think the right goaltender choice was made. They put in a 17 year old kid when they had an experienced pro on the bench. Further, Jungwirth was taking the goal kicks! In the end it might not have made a difference, but it is the little things that add up.

3 hours ago, RichV said:

So, I don't think the right goaltender choice was made. They put in a 17 year old kid when they had an experienced pro on the bench. Further, Jungwirth was taking the goal kicks! In the end it might not have made a difference, but it is the little things that add up.

I had more concern with Anchor's injury situation (which I believe was the reason for his not taking goal kicks) than anything else.  It would have been criminal if he ended up aggravating a much more serious long term injury in the process.  

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Did not expect that result. I'd seen how far down the table SKC was, but did not realize how truly bad they were until watching the game yesterday. 

The Caps were set up well defensively against against a side which is presently offensively challenged with the personnel at their disposal.  Russell is better as an inverted winger on the right than in a central attacking role but missed two good chances.

However, the Caps did the job and got the three.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The Caps were set up well defensively against against a side which is presently offensively challenged with the personnel at their disposal.  Russell is better as an inverted winger on the right than in a central attacking role but missed two good chances.

However, the Caps did the job and got the three.

Yeah, Russell really should have done better with his chances but I'll take it. Thought Jungwirth did better in Central midfield than a bunch of our normal options and Teibert definitely wasn't missed.