Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wonder if it might be sped up because of this:

When I read this I thought:  has Alexandre even played a game for the Caps this season?  And he hasn't!

Sounds like he was just getting ready to return from the season-ending injury he had last year.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The late tying goal was Baldisimo to Raposo to Tiebert to Ricketts for the headed finish.  Wow. 

Damn. Called offside.  Not cheering for Caps over CFM but that deserved to be the tying goal.  

Feel bad for Ricketts. For a guy like him, the next goal he scores could likely be his last as a pro (or at least in MLS). 

53 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

There must be a study out there that shows the records of how interim coaches do when hired full-time and it can't be great.  Cause right now, it looks like when Sartini took over from Dos Santos last season was more dead cat bounce than managerial acumen.  Could be a really rough season for VWFC.

I am unsure of why he watches his squad fail with 3 at the back, does nothing, then watches them struggle the following week with 3 at the back. It isn't working, at all. Stop doing the same thing and expecting a different result. 

I thought I would have the sound on for this match but after Wileman simply regurgitated the Caps p.r. notes bigging up the Teibert-Bethalter midfield pairing, I couldn't listen anymore so I watched the match with the mute button on.

That area of the pitch needs a serious upgrade in personnel, not propaganda about the incumbents playing there. 

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I am unsure of why he watches his squad fail with 3 at the back, does nothing, then watches them struggle the following week with 3 at the back. It isn't working, at all. Stop doing the same thing and expecting a different result. 

The worst thing that happened to Vancouver last year was making the play offs, wasn't it? 🙁

The team is embarrassing to watch. For how long can they continue to be a bottom 3 spender in the league and have fans care. They must objectively have the worst ownership in the league. Especially when you consider they are one of the wealthiest.  

45 minutes ago, sandman said:

The team is embarrassing to watch. For how long can they continue to be a bottom 3 spender in the league and have fans care. They must objectively have the worst ownership in the league. Especially when you consider they are one of the wealthiest.  

The saddest part is they squandered that Davies money 

With Caio out, they are in an urgent forced buying mode in central midfield right now.  The Paraguayan and his skillset have been needed since they decided Bikel wasn't the answer, but they have looked so second div in that part of the pitch in most games and glaringly so for long stretches on Saturday.  They need more than just Cubas (if they sign him) in there.

Godoy went through the NextPro rehab match unscathed so I expect him starting or at least subbing in next weekend but it won't matter much if I see the Teibert-Berhalter duo continue as the regular pairing.

they made playoffs last year and looks like about to bring a third dp while montreal is still at one...early season troubles looks like are down to a combo of coaching and performances that a just a little short...on paper they should be able to turn it around

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

yup same one that got them 7 points in the first 9 games last year and still made playoffs...gonna be hard but very far from impossible

This is MLS, where there is mediocrity and inconsistency aplenty to go around in the fight for lower seed playoff spots.  

Get a string of smash and grab wins and we'll suddenly hear the fanbase clamour with "Rusty for Qatar!" posts as the Caps surge up the Western Conference standings!

Vanni was on the radio this morning, saying that he's given the players enough chances to prove what they can do and expects to settle the lineup moving forward.  Sadly, Teibert is one of their biggest problems but I suspect Vanni doesn't realize it.  And he doesn't have the players to play 3 at the back, but he keeps insisting on it.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

The saddest part is they squandered that Davies money 

They did exactly what I feared they'd do.  Instead of buying another top young player to develop and sell on, they spent half of it on Cavallini (a player who wouldn't sell tickets, wouldn't have any resale value, and didn't fit their system) and the rest rebuilding the squad with players below MLS standard because they'd spent $0 on scouting before Schuster and had burned every bridge with their existing group of players.

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

they made playoffs last year and looks like about to bring a third dp while montreal is still at one...early season troubles looks like are down to a combo of coaching and performances that a just a little short...on paper they should be able to turn it around

I will say, some of it is injuries.  Schuster didn't build them with any depth, so when they lose White, Gauld, and Alexander to injuries (plus Godoy, though at this point we probably can't count on him) it hurts more than it does with other clubs.  I'm happy Hasal is getting some playing time, but Crepeau forcing his way out just before the season started didn't help either.

48 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I will say, some of it is injuries.  Schuster didn't build them with any depth, so when they lose White, Gauld, and Alexander to injuries (plus Godoy, though at this point we probably can't count on him) it hurts more than it does with other clubs.

But they also have incumbents who have really been disappointments, too.  Brown stands out, Jungwirth hasn't been as good as last year (prior to the playoff loss, at least), Caicedo has not been able to get to the next level as a starter instead of as a sub.  I'm not sure they are going to get the best out of Dajome as a wingback instead of as a forward.  

16 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

But they also have incumbents who have really been disappointments, too.  Brown stands out, Jungwirth hasn't been as good as last year (prior to the playoff loss, at least), Caicedo has not been able to get to the next level as a starter instead of as a sub.  I'm not sure they are going to get the best out of Dajome as a wingback instead of as a forward.  

Agree on Brown and Jungwirth.  Agree on Dajome not being a wingback, so that's mismanagement by Vanni.  Partially disagree on Caicedo - I don't think he's been good, but like Dajome, Vannie is playing him out of position as a striker and not a winger.  So some of these problems are of Vanni's own making, forcing players out of position to fit a style he wants to play rather than playing a style that suits the players he has.  And I sort of think some of the problems with Brown and Jungwirth would be fixed by a shift to 4 at the back - Jungwirth losing a step matters less if there's 4 than 3, and Brown doesn't seem like a wingback either (and had success last year as an RB).

19 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Agree on Brown and Jungwirth.  Agree on Dajome not being a wingback, so that's mismanagement by Vanni.  Partially disagree on Caicedo - I don't think he's been good, but like Dajome, Vannie is playing him out of position as a striker and not a winger.  So some of these problems are of Vanni's own making, forcing players out of position to fit a style he wants to play rather than playing a style that suits the players he has.  And I sort of think some of the problems with Brown and Jungwirth would be fixed by a shift to 4 at the back - Jungwirth losing a step matters less if there's 4 than 3, and Brown doesn't seem like a wingback either (and had success last year as an RB).

Brown hasn't shown enough awareness,  acumen, or fitness at the moment for either RB or RWB.

Gutierrez not as a fullback undermines what he does best both offensively and defensively.  When NYCFC were in town, their Danish LB was a Guti doppelganger yet but was used effectively as fullback on his natural left side in a four man back line, while Guti was flipping sides in his wingback role, having limited impact in the process.

They have to upgrade that central midfield.