Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

can of beans > Jake Nerwinski

He's poor, true. 

But the team held its shape and worked together until the goal, then let Minnesota in. The tie was acceptable, but Sartini got greedy and then the counters killed them off. Just didn't manage the result. 

Crowds v weak at BC Place. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's poor, true. 

But the team held its shape and worked together until the goal, then let Minnesota in. The tie was acceptable, but Sartini got greedy and then the counters killed them off. Just didn't manage the result. 

Crowds v weak at BC Place. 

Sartini said post game he was playing for the tie. So far from getting greedy, he got too conservative with his subs, pulling off attacking players. They lost their shape and Nerwinski was very poor (terrible turnover for the 2nd goal and kept the players onside for the 3rd goal).

I actually thought that for almost 3/4 of the match, even after Cubas went off and Owusu (with his struggles) came on, the team looked pretty good and were rewarded with a goal via MOTM Vite to Cavallini.  Then the wheels just started to fall off, with Raposo getting completely undressed by a near static Reynoso, allowing him to set up the pass and overlapping cross for the unmarked Lawrence to tie it, further exasperated by the Jake and Rusty sh*t show leading to the totally unchallenged run and shot (need a big save there, Cody, sorry), then Jake continued his funk with his head out of the game and keeping everyone onside for the third while getting skinned by the scorer in the process.

With Caicedo out, Vite will get the starts and that's a big positive, but they better hope The Piranha is out only as a precaution and not long term.

Axel needs to get some depth and competition in this transfer window, maybe a league trade with Garber bucks involved.  Standing pat is not an option at the moment.

I disagree with Santini if he said he was playing for the tie, he put Ricketts in, they continued to attack rather haphazardly after Minnesota tied it up, they were vulnerable on the counters. That is not a team keeping its shape and holding onto the points.

Nerwinski is not at the level required. Almost better to put Godinho back there and sit Jake because he has never been better than average to mediocre.

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That central midfield combo of Jungwirth/Teibert was as bad as expected. First two goals conceded were awful, with Godoy contributing to the issues on the first one and Cropper not good enough on both. Credit to the team for coming back twice though. Take the point and run.

FCC had some great chances in the second to put them away and didn't with poor decision making and/or execution, and that cost them two home points.

A Baldi sighting?  Followed by a Caio sighting?  Good to see them contribute.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The one I held my breath on was that inswinging free kick which anyone watching knew was going straight to goal, but he dealt with it very well. 

I felt more confident watching him than I ever have with Hasal. Hasal just doesn't look the part to me - it seems like they are forcing an underdog-makes-it story with Hasal for some reason. 

26 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

I felt more confident watching him than I ever have with Hasal. Hasal just doesn't look the part to me - it seems like they are forcing an underdog-makes-it story with Hasal for some reason. 

I think the mistake was declaring before camp that Hasal was the #1. It limited the quality of backup you could bring in and didn't force him to earn the spot.

Agree with others here: Crowder is an okay keeper, but he was not properly positioned on the goals and both, if not easily stoppable, were in there. I thought Boehmer looked the part, and he's still 20. 

We could still use more defensive intensity all around, beginning with up high and the midfield. 

The team showed character, so I'm pleased. You could see Cincy fans were really disappointed. More than worrying about the playoffs, I want to see the team get to .500 first, then get their GD down, the attack is still amongst the weakest in MLS. 

Of course winning the Voyageurs Cup will alter the entire season and any other result will really hurt.

The question mark for me about Hasal is durability.  I don't know what his current health issue is.  It has derailed his development track.

I didn't have any issue with his being named the number one with a veteran journeyman acting as a limited start back up (which is what Cropper should be), in part because some of the Cancon names suggested on here as guys they should bring in I didn't think were as good as others here think they are.  And I really don't think they were close to getting St. Clair out of Minny, either.

It is interesting about the suggestion of Hasal as a forced underdog story when they are one or two other guys on the club who fit that narrative even more.  And if you want to hype a marketing angle, Boehmer looks like he could fit in as the fourth Hemsworth brother via central casting.  

Edited by BearcatSA

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed, I'm even surprised DC are getting rid of him. 

So who would he replace in principle in a starting 11?

Raposo moves back to a situational role-playing sub if you have a healthy quartet including Godinho and the two natural portsiders in Gutierrez and Martins.  Dajome goes to forward and as @Watchmen suggests, White or Cavallini goes to the bench (probably the former).

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Gressel sounds enthused about coming to Vancouver.  Didn't realize he also counted as a domestic player, so no international spot required.  Props to Schuster on this one.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/whitecaps-add-wingback-julian-gressel

They needed an attacking upgrade at wingback and look like they got it here.  

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They needed an attacking upgrade at wingback and look like they got it here.  

Yup.  The bonus here is that this isn't a player coming from outside of the league and needs time to adjust and you can't quite be sure how well that will go.  That's not to say it's a given he'll settle perfectly with the Whitecaps, but it reduces some of that risk and he's already familiar with the league, it's travel (well, not west coast travel, but still...), etc.