Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Got give the Caps and Sartini kudos for never giving up and for a certain culture of pluckiness throughout the squad that is irresistible, but my god they had a terrible first half. I know they are missing some key players, but still.

Gressel is just starting to come around (I think), but I'm not sure he's been a better option than Dajome or Godinho thus far.

Raposo was very good, again. He seems to be growing with every game played. Like him a lot.

Owosu and Teibert did not offer much in the middle going forward, as per normal. With Cubas, Gauld, and the new Austrian, I can't imagine either of those guys will see many first team minutes going forward. And Bikel is back too.

the back three were mostly really good.

the young kids ran their asses off and played with a bit of audacity, which you've got to love. Yeah, and they made the first goal happen. A wild finish, with Cavallini blasting home the winner. Now if only this team could learn how to play well in the first 45 minutes of a match too.

10 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Gressel is just starting to come around (I think), but I'm not sure he's been a better option than Dajome or Godinho thus far.

Dajome's problem is that he's inconsistent.  Having said that, I've always preferred him further up the field anyway, so having him up front with Gressel is the wingback still works.  I've been impressed with Godinho's improvement this year, but don't think his high end is as high as Gressel's.  But, think he's still a valuable addition either off the bench of rotating in for either Gressel or Raposo.  I'm not as high on Raposo (I think there's still far too many wayward passes/shots/crosses) but know I'm probably in the minority here.

Cavallini  did exactly what you want your DP to do - score that absolutely clutch goal.  His confidence seems much higher this year.  Too bad he's now missing the LA game for yellow card accumulation.

Cropper makes some huge saves, he'll be a Whitecaps legend with that Voyageurs Cup win, but man he still gives up the easy goals too.  Keeper is the position the Whitecaps should be looking to upgrade in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Dajome's problem is that he's inconsistent.  Having said that, I've always preferred him further up the field anyway, so having him up front with Gressel is the wingback still works.  I've been impressed with Godinho's improvement this year, but don't think his high end is as high as Gressel's.  But, think he's still a valuable addition either off the bench of rotating in for either Gressel or Raposo.  I'm not as high on Raposo (I think there's still far too many wayward passes/shots/crosses) but know I'm probably in the minority here.

Cavallini  did exactly what you want your DP to do - score that absolutely clutch goal.  His confidence seems much higher this year.  Too bad he's now missing the LA game for yellow card accumulation.

Cropper makes some huge saves, he'll be a Whitecaps legend with that Voyageurs Cup win, but man he still gives up the easy goals too.  Keeper is the position the Whitecaps should be looking to upgrade in the offseason.

Raposo is far from the finished product, for sure, but he seems to get better with every game. Gressel should be the better option, but he's mostly been only okay so far. A couple more games and we'll get a better sense of what he can do for the Caps. 

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

There were highlights?

Vanni just never seems to play the obvious 11. Always tinkering and relying on the 'let's bring about an impact player off the bench' card. He has been saved by the improbable late come-backs. These can't possibly be sustainable. Time to stop screwing around.

4 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Vanni just never seems to play the obvious 11. Always tinkering and relying on the 'let's bring about an impact player off the bench' card. He has been saved by the improbable late come-backs. These can't possibly be sustainable. Time to stop screwing around.

I can understand him "managing the line up" when they were playing Voyageurs Cup games. But that's over and they're in to the home stretch. Needs to be playing the best available players. That means Blackmon ahead of Nerwinski and Dajome up front (with Cavallini and White out). I did want to see Ongaro get time, but not starting. Teibert is not their best central midfielder and he was less than useless last night.

They explained some of the lineup tweeks on the broadcast.  Rickets was better suited to a second half sub so he started Ongaro, Blackmon got burnt last time out so Nerwinski was in.  On the road in LA was always going to be tough sledding and having people suspended, injured etc just made it worse.  

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

They explained some of the lineup tweeks on the broadcast.  Rickets was better suited to a second half sub so he started Ongaro, Blackmon got burnt last time out so Nerwinski was in.  On the road in LA was always going to be tough sledding and having people suspended, injured etc just made it worse.  

I'm not disagreeing with Ricketts being a better 2nd half sub, but its why I think Dajome should have started up front. Nerwinski gets burned every single game on the left (and most games on the right as well), so it's still the wrong call.

Playing against a central defence and defensive mid (Marky Mark Delgado!) prone to passing giveaways, having Ricketts and his pressuring pace up top to begin may have helped the team get off to a better start, who knows?  Hindsight 20-20 and all that, but the Galaxy looked far too comfortable in possession with those three particular players.

Not playing Ricketts when he's been a decent sub, been honest, doesn't complain, does contribute with the odd performance, is part of the team and has been for years, is just a manager being a fool.

Ongaro was lost out there, all Vanni did was give him a poor debut, tee off a veteran and prove to his team he is not in control of the basics.

The 'Caps form over the last 17 games, after only taking 4 points from the first 9 matches, would be Top 5 in the league, extrapolated over a full season. If they keep up this form for the remaining 8, they'll comfortably finish over the playoff line. They do play a bunch of the teams that are around them in the standings, though, so they dare not lose too many.

12 hours ago, gator said:

I continue to be impressed with  my fellow Hamiltonian Ryan Raposo, he is developing in to a solid versatile player, he always is high energy and his hard work was evident at the end of the match when he helped run the clock out!

I wasn't a fan and he's definitely got a ceiling but the kid constantly finds a way to serve in dangerous balls and create chances. Clever player