Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, that one is on Axel, as the German's tires finally went as bald as Bob Bradley.

I thought Jungwirth was good last year.  Didn't realize the option was that high, but I understood bringing him back.  But looked like he lost a step over the winter.  Ah well, $600k cleared out easily there.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I thought Jungwirth was good last year.  Didn't realize the option was that high, but I understood bringing him back.  But looked like he lost a step over the winter.  Ah well, $600k cleared out easily there.

The dangerous signings are where you overcommit money and tenure to a guy after one relatively good statistical season or you overrate the intangibles they bring, even though the club has made the playoffs once in a blue moon during those particular players' times here.

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The dangerous signings are where you overcommit money and tenure to a guy after one relatively good statistical season or you overrate the intangibles they bring, even though the club has made the playoffs once in a blue moon during those particular players' times here.

Sure, but that fits White more than Jungwirth.  Jungwirth was too much money but no term.  White was a bit too much money and a bit too much term.  Teibert, of course, is way too much money AND way too much term.  My bigger fear is that they might be about to commit the same kind of mistake with Nerwinski.

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think you also have to consider that the Sounders missed out on their 3 best players for a lot of the season. Plug those guys back in and they're easily one of the best teams in the league

That team delivered MLS's first ever CCL crown in May.

The problem I see is that, in moving up the spending charts, they're overpaying for role player types.  I mean, you have this moneyball scouting group under Overheul who should be able to provide the proverbial "next man up" should an incumbent role player feel he's worth more than the market value he's being offered, so hopefully they can deliver in this underrated part of funding your team.

(People forget that Dajome also signed a very hefty extension in April and wasn't worth it with his play in '22).

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

(People forget that Dajome also signed a very hefty extension in April and wasn't worth it with his play in '22).

The one caveat for Dajome is that Vanni played him as a wing back all year despite everyone knowing he's not a wingback. So I do lay a bunch of the blame here on Vanni.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The one caveat for Dajome is that Vanni played him as a wing back all year despite everyone knowing he's not a wingback. So I do lay a bunch of the blame here on Vanni.

The giveaways and poor decision making he was doing on the attack in the final third, especially in the last stretch when he actually played, weren't because he was a wingback.  If anything, he just tries too hard to make something happen and thus forces low percentage plays.  There is a reason that he has never been on the radar for his country's NT.

However, I do appreciate how he will take guys on wide 1 v 1 in the attacking third, drawing fouls and even setting up a key goal or two with his crosses.  Much more refreshing than having a guy just cut back and recycle the play even when in an advantageous 1 v 1 situation.