Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

20 hours ago, dhawk11 said:

Is the Canadian Championship Tournament a coach killer for Vancouver.

If the Whitecaps lose to Valour, does that cost or speed up the process in Vanni being shown the door. We have see it before. I know one games doesn't make or break the coach, but it surely does not help. Food for thought 

It's really only "killed" a coach once, and he failed to beat a CPL team in 3 opportunities. 

Honestly it probably depends on how they play. If they outshine Valour 15-1 but Sirois absolutely stands on his head and Valour scores on the counter, well that's soccer and Vanni probably gets a bit more time based on the TFC win and a beatable opportunity coming up. If the Whitecaps again look uninspired and disorganized and are clearly the worst team on the field (like they did under MDS), then Vanni might be gone sooner.

21 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Chiellini? A very un Whitecaps move if true

As a close observer of Italian football, it would be a very stupid move as well. His body is starting to break down. If he was signed as a part time player for his leadership and mentorship, maybe that would be understandable...but that would make no financial sense.

The first match I watched in person since last fall, it was a snoozer first half which came alive in the second half in main part due to clown college defending by both teams.  My biggest takeaway was the positive play of Cavallini.

Two opponents of similar calibre, I guess a tie is what you would expect.

Vanni switched to 3 at the back and they utterly fell apart defensively. 

Cavallini with his best game this season. Seemed to be everywhere and pretty effective most of the time. Could easily have had a couple more.

Team was sloppy with a bunch of their crosses. Really frustrating watching a bunch of wide open players attempt the cross and just sail it out of bounds instead.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Whitecaps have no keepers for Sunday. 

Charlotte players must be licking their chops in the training session today. Never seen anything like this, then again we are in a pandemic. Would be a miracle if the Caps pull a win out of this match, draw could be nice. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I am sure everyone is loathed to lose anyone but I think it's a real shame if Carducci, Irving or Ingham weren't thrust into the conversation first. Fantastic opportunity to Niko though and hope he kills it.

In theory Carducci is playing the Whitecaps on Wednesday.  In this situation he probably wasn't really an option.  Irving was the one who sprang to my mind as a possibility first.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

In theory Carducci is playing the Whitecaps on Wednesday.  In this situation he probably wasn't really an option.  Irving was the one who sprang to my mind as a possibility first.

Well, a number of factors in play here.  Perhaps it was easier to get the York United keeper to Charlotte.  Or maybe Schuster actually rates him higher than the other two mentioned, who knows?

Edited by BearcatSA