Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So another question: would Gressel be facing Insigne if he plays next week in the final, and is that another reason for this particular signing right now? Defending him and attacking his side? 

Apart from the longer term benefits? 

It sounds more like it's tied in to Rooney's arrival in DC and wanting to change the team/formation. Gressel became available and the Whitecaps pounced immediately. 

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It sounds more like it's tied in to Rooney's arrival in DC and wanting to change the team/formation. Gressel became available and the Whitecaps pounced immediately. 

I'm not sure. TFC has wasted their season and only have one way to save it, barring a very good run in the league. So they are keying on the Cup final, which would allow them to maximinise their investment in Concacaf next year. 

So the point: Caps have been better this year but not a lot. And: you've got to think about the final specifically, and I'm hoping that is what they're doing with the new signings and everyone getting healthy. 

Caps played really well. Smart game all around, and a great effort. Gutted they did not get the win, but happy with the point. Our young keeper was excellent. Early days, but he might have more upside than Hassal. Raposo was very good, as was Cubas. Several solid performances, to be frank.  Still feel the Caps need one or two top notch players, but the pieces are coming together. Cubas is looking like one of the best signings the Caps have made in a long time. He kind of reminds me of Eustaquio

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Caps played really well. Smart game all around, and a great effort. Gutted they did not get the win, but happy with the point. Our young keeper was excellent. Early days, but he might have more upside than Hassal. Raposo was very good, as was Cubas. Several solid performances, to be frank.  Still feel the Caps need one or two top notch players, but the pieces are coming together. Cubas is looking like one of the best signings the Caps have made in a long time. He kind of reminds me of Eustaquio

Good post.

I also think we played well, had possession for long stints, even attacked when winning, and also when tied late. Decent defensive shape and some good attacking pieces.

I was also thinking Raposo is coming into form. He is one of those players that has MLS journeyman written all over him. That is not a bad thing. Dajome--I see now what some were saying that Gressel could be made to "help" him. Or maybe plain replace him. Cubas good, as you say. Cava the kind of player rivals hate to play against, could be fun to watch his minutes in the WC.

Teibert, Nerwinski, especially, with some really awful touches.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Last year they got the Gauld bump, this year they get the big bump from Cubas while Boehmer does his replica of Hasal's MiB debut perform of two years ago.  But the name of the game is consistency of performance in a string of games.  This was a very entertaining game with a tempo you'd expect from a regional rivalry but I am not going to get carried away with one result.  Fortunately, El Piraña looks to be a massive signing with his style of play.  I hope Gressel also provides another ingredient to this winning cocktail.

Edited by BearcatSA

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good post.

I also think we played well, had possession for long stints, even attacked when winning, and also when tied late. Decent defensive shape and some good attacking pieces.

I was also thinking Raposo is coming into form. He is one of those players that has MLS journeyman written all over him. That is not a bad thing. Dajome--I see now what some were saying that Gressel could be made to "help" him. Or maybe plain replace him. Cubas good, as you say. Cava the kind of player rivals hate to play against, could be fun to watch his minutes in the WC.

Teibert, Nerwinski, especially, with some really awful touches.

Tiebert looked rusty--excuse the pun. The pace of the game might have been too much for his skill set, but yes, he had some woeful touches. I liked how he was getting forward, though.  Jake has a very wooden touch, but then again, he had some timely interventions and played mostly well defensively.  I want to see more of Godhino. Yeah, maybe he will be like Raposo, a solid MLS journeyman, but he shows signs that he could hit a higher level. Needs to be consistent and keep growing.

20 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I've watched a handful of Whitecaps games this year and Nerwinski and Blackmon are the players that are consistently poor for me. Blackmon is not bad defensively but always seems to panic when he gets the ball. 

Blackmon had some poor touches and then the clumsy play for the penalty.  However, both he and Nerwinski had some key defensive plays as well so a mixed bag.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Dajome--I see now what some were saying that Gressel could be made to "help" him. Or maybe plain replace him.

As much as I question his decision making at times, his skillset makes the three man forward line better.  So for me, it boils down to who starts with him and Gauld:  Cavallini or White?

Gressel will add a proven attacking service provider at WB.  Raposo had his best game as a Cap last night but I prefer a natural left footer opposite Gressel (even if Sartini likes to switch sides for his WBs during the match). Once (If?) Gutierrez gets healthy, he'd be my choice because he has proven to be better at keeping possession under pressure without having to immediately teibert the ball to a non threatening area on the reset/recycle.

Another key returnee last night:  the Serb in the middle of thw back line.

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Can't complain about a point on the road in Nashville. They just need to start picking up their wins at home.

Yep.  11 games left.  6 home and 5 away.  And all against Western Conference teams.

If they can get on a roll they'll be fine.