Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

It is clear Gauld is becoming the leader of the team. He captained them to probably their best complete half against Colorado. Then Teibert came on, took over as captain, and lead them to one of their worst. Teibert is not a leader. He's not good enough to lead on the field and he's always been a mouth piece for the FO so he can't lead off of it either. I have to start wondering if his "leadership" is damaging the team, since as "captain" Vanni won't drop him no matter how poor he is.

I'll take that point.

Hasal with some terrific saves tonight, and can't be faulted on the goal.

At the other end, Cavallini in a bit of a funk the last couple of games.  Not *quite* clicking with everyone.

Gauld continues to be outstanding.  Their MVP this year, and I'm not sure it's close (though Cubas has turned the club around since arriving...).

55 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I enjoyed watching that match.  

Me too, a fun match to watch. Especially the 2nd half.

I much prefer MLS like this, a match that is open and enjoyable, where there aren't defensive blunders, or dumb fouling, but attacking plays of some quality, and then chances, and near chances. The sequence of crossbars at either end, the one excellent play when Cava one times it to Gressel, who volleys, lovely. Both teams fairly evenly matched.

IMO this is the sort of game fans want to see, I don't get why MLS can't be this kind of league more often.

Second time in 4 games that Vanni has had to come out and apologize post-game saying the performance was "unacceptable" after the team really didn't show up.  Unlike the LA game, I thought they looked pretty good for the first 20 min.  Still, I hope Schuster is watching all of this carefully - Vanni is part of the problem for this team.  I don't dislike Vanni as a person, and I'll always be thankful for the Voyageurs Cup win, but he's now holding the team back.

The Galaxy won tonight.  So they are in the seventh and last playoff position, three points ahead of the Whitecaps and have two games in hand.   

Salt Lake is in sixth place, five points ahead of the Whitecaps and have a game in hand.

Things are not looking good for our boys.

On 8/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, Watchmen said:

Not happening this year. They've thrown away too many points.

On the plus side, I'm hopeful that Seattle might finally miss too.

This is MLS, a league of mediocrity...er...parity for 3/4 of the teams and a one-off cup style playoff system where the 7th place side could squeak in and go on a good run.  

I still think it goes down to the overhyped "Dcecision Day" for this club.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, Goal_Kick said:

What gets me is that, on paper, this is probably the most talented group of players the Whitecaps have ever assembled.  And yet here we are, another losing season.

This franchise seems to be cursed to mediocrity.

They always seem to have about one thing wrong with them that undermines the rest.

I think we're in to the stage where we won't see Vanni back next year.

I still feel the Caps are a bit rudderless out there. I think Gauld is a great little player, and Cubas is excellent, but we've no cohesion down the middle of the pitch.  

I can't see Axel keeping Sartinini beyond this season.  The team looks kinda hopeless out there. They sort of play desperate football and find ways to get by on their luck, here and there, but I do not see a cohesive side at all.  Very difficult to watch these game, tbh.