Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

I would not make too much of the Rachel Lewis move, she was in her job for quite a while regardless. 

Lenarduzzi is still the club's ambassador, supposedly its face to the world, when he had more direct responsibility in not only midhandling the abuse cases, but the entire damn team. I wonder if he's still being paid.

To be honest, I am not terribly obsessed over all this, since I appreciate that you are not going to get anything from a purge 10 years after the fact or more. Unless there is clear documentation of wanton negligence or cover-up pointing to a specific individual. But what irks me is that they can't even raise their level as a club, including as a club with youth training for younger women and girls, as a way of indirectly getting beyond past errors.

So I am wondering how well White and Cavallini will mesh as a pairing in front of Gauld on the attack tomorrow in Houston (should they both be starting).  Good chance for a road win but the recent tread there in Texas has been scoreless draws.

I see they are still auditioning for a veteran keeper to caddy for Hasal, with Cody Cropper coming in to have his tires kicked.  

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

So I am wondering how well White and Cavallini will mesh as a pairing in front of Gauld on the attack tomorrow in Houston (should they both be starting).  Good chance for a road win but the recent tread there in Texas has been scoreless draws.

I see they are still auditioning for a veteran keeper to caddy for Hasal, with Cody Cropper coming in to have his tires kicked.  

Bad news, you won't find out tomorrow. White out injured and not making the trip.

One good thing:  at least we're playing Houston early in the season.  The Caps won't have to contend with the heat.  Forecast says a high of 14 degrees tomorrow.

Neither team has scored a goal so far this season.  It's unlikely that we'll be watching an offensive masterpiece tomorrow. 

Thus far, this team is reminding me too much of the Whitecaps of the first half of last season - limited scoring, static attack and not all that entertaining.

But it's early days.  Hopefully White recovers fully, Gauld gets back to last year's Gauld and they start playing like the Whitecaps of the second half of last season.

The pairing of Teibert and Owusu in the middle is just killing them. And the entire team looks like they've never practiced a corner kick or dead ball situation. Every kick was just utterly useless.

Really unfortunate Vite had to come out of the game so early. 

37 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The pairing of Teibert and Owusu in the middle is just killing them. 

Yes.  They get bypassed way too easilý and add little to the attack.

Gauld's body language was pretty negative and his play today reflected that, too.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Bottom line, lthe whitecaps aren't good.  I'm probably the minority, but they're an American team in Vancouver.  

I expect they'll change their crest soon to keep themselves in the news cycle. 

"They're an American team in Vancouver" 

What a bizarre comment.

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Bottom line, lthe whitecaps aren't good.  I'm probably the minority, but they're an American team in Vancouver.  

I expect they'll change their crest soon to keep themselves in the news cycle. 

What does that even mean? (Do you mean that they will soon be sold and moved to a US location?)

Glad to see TSN's intro criticizing Teibert.  Even by Teibert standards, I think he's been poor this year.  He got beat badly (as did Nerwinski) on that 2nd goal.

And at what point does the coaching staff give up on zonal marking off corners and free kicks?  It's just killing them.

This is total conjecture, but hiring the person you had as the 'interim' rarely works.  I expect there will be lots of examples of where it does work, but it just seems like interims get hired off of good results that disappear once they get a deal; they get the new coach bounce, and then it's downhill.  

1 hour ago, RJB said:

This is total conjecture, but hiring the person you had as the 'interim' rarely works.  I expect there will be lots of examples of where it does work, but it just seems like interims get hired off of good results that disappear once they get a deal; they get the new coach bounce, and then it's downhill.  

Well, the nearest, most successful example is when you travel through Peace Arch and down the I-5 to Seattle:  Schmetzerland.

My own Qanon endorsed conjecture/conspiracy is that Schuster is actually running the on-field product/selection/tactics while the charismatic Italian serves as a coaching "beard," so to speak.  If things go pear-shaped, then the exit strategy of ditching Sartini becomes a problem because he was the German's choice so he has to burn one of his nine lives in the process.  

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Thought Gauld looked much better.  Cavallinni shockingly looked good too, once he got his yellow card out of the way.  Good for Raposo to finally get his first

Gauld and White have the mojo as a pairing.  I am not sure if it's going to work with all three together starting, however.    

Up until he scored Raposo added little on that left side (his best play prior to that was hustling back and clearing a dangerous pass directed towards Zusi) but he scored the winner so he gets his time in the limelight.  He's not sustainable as the long term answer out there.

Portland weren't good, but scored on their rare chances. Whitecaps just seem lost out there. Vanni continues to force players in to positions they aren't suited to. I like Gutierrez but he's not an LCB.  The back 3 formation is not working this year at all, either offensively or defensively. Teibert continues to he one of the worst players on the pitch and it's no surprise they got better once he was finally subbed off.

18 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

All 3 of the goals against looked like defence miscues. I wonder what the plans are for Cornelius. He would be perfect in the LCB role.

No, they'll probably trade for Mavinga and send Gutierrez the other way in return 😉