Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Same sort of D7 level club in England that Nathan Mavila and Ollie Bassett are or had been playing at. Don't think the UK is where the league gets the most bang for its buck in import terms.

Yes, agree a bit about England, perhaps a solid CB from 2nd division Norway or Austria would be better. I think the most important factor is salary structure. What CPL pays is actually not more than 2nd tier Scandinavia or similar. So you can't draw those guys in, and you can't overpay either.

But look at the opposite, CPLers going elsewhere. Petrasso at Barnet was one of their best players, that was 5th tier, National League--that sounds about right to me, a CPL player doing well in England 5th.

Then Piti Martínez went on loan to the Alavés B team, that is Spain 3rd tier. And he did well. Mind you, unlike England, Spain 3rd tier had multiple divisions (they've changed it now), so maybe it was more like a League One or National level. Then Ongaro goes to Romania top flight, which probably has teams at the top at Championship level, and others equivalent to lower tiers. That sounds high to me, I would not expect solid CPL players to be walking into 3rd level top flights in Europe, but if they do, great. 

I think we cannot really say yet what the CPL level is internationally, it is too early, there are too few cases in both directions. We probably should not be overly reliant on imports anyways. For exports, when we get to seeing a stream of the younger guys going into 2nd division Denmark or Austria, which seems fine to me, then we will be able to caliber the level.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

and hasnt played in a year. this signing is a lot like gallardo and moutou. 

3rd times the charm! Still a bit gutted Galhardo didn't stay, thought he was getting back to full fitness and he looked good. Maybe he pops up in Edmonton? You never know. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CF_Palencia

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercera_División_RFEF_2021-22_(Grupo_VIII)

Play in the fifth tier apparently but there have been recent changes to the Spanish system so that might not be as bad as it sounds. Think Palencia's main claim to fame is that they play in purple, which is quite unusual in European terms.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CF_Palencia

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercera_División_RFEF_2021-22_(Grupo_VIII)

Play in the fifth tier apparently but there have been recent changes to the Spanish system so that might not be as bad as it sounds. Think Palencia's main claim to fame is that they play in purple, which is quite unusual in European terms.

Can't for the life of me find more details on that match. They played in the mountain resort north of Madrid where they did pre-season last year, so the rival did not have to travel so far. You are right that 5th tier is better now than previously, if At Ottawa won then that is a good sign.

Palencia is one of the least populated provinces and their football is very modest, although the rival team in the city is one division higher and only barely lost to a Liga team in the 2nd round of the Cup this year.

Oh, that other team, Cristo Atlético, also dresses purple, but about that:

Real Madrid have light purple on the crest and have played with away kits in purple for literally decades, most recently like 2 years ago-- don't know where you got your comment from, but I mean, really. Valladolid does too, you are making up BS to enhance the story angle.

Just thought of another, la Fiore.

Purple, and variants, was worn to distinguish important social strata in Roman society, and then it is a colour that has been associated with monseñors and I think bishops in ecclesiastical structure. So it has a long, perfectly justified history in a country that was under Roman rule and then Catholic. In Spain you see it in Holy Week processions frequently.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can't for the life of me find more details on that match. They played in the mountain resort north of Madrid where they did pre-season last year, so the rival did not have to travel so far. You are right that 5th tier is better now than previously, if At Ottawa won then that is a good sign.

Palencia is one of the least populated provinces and their football is very modest, although the rival team in the city is one division higher and only barely lost to a Liga team in the 2nd round of the Cup this year.

Oh, that other team, Cristo Atlético, also dresses purple, but about that:

Real Madrid have light purple on the crest and have played with away kits in purple for literally decades, most recently like 2 years ago-- don't know where you got your comment from, but I mean, really. Valladolid does too, you are making up BS to enhance the story angle.

Just thought of another, la Fiore.

Purple, and variants, was worn to distinguish important social strata in Roman society, and then it is a colour that has been associated with monseñors and I think bishops in ecclesiastical structure. So it has a long, perfectly justified history in a country that was under Roman rule and then Catholic. In Spain you see it in Holy Week processions frequently.

Purple is one of the representative colors of castile now. The old castilian coat of arms was the purple dragon

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

... don't know where you got your comment from, ...

It was basically just a way of saying that they are not a club that is particularly well known for having done anything truly significant. There are a few famous clubs in purple such as Anderlecht, Fiorentina, Austria Vienna and Toulouse but nothing like as many that play in red or blue.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It was basically just a way of saying that they are not a club that is particularly well known for having done anything truly significant. There are a few famous clubs in purple such as Anderlecht, Fiorentina, Austria Vienna and Toulouse but nothing like as many that play in red or blue.

Never thought I'd have to post a link of my most hated team to win an argument, but anyways. Say it's a rare colour for football teams when the winningest team in soccer history has always worn it is a bit much. 

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2021/12/27/22855253/real-madrid-kits-2022-2023

From the outside, defence seems the weak spot on this team. Seems like they need another quality addition at the back, at least one. 

How do they line up currently?

Ingham

Acosta   Niba   Beckie   Tissot 

Espejo, Verhoven rotating in? Sissoko playing at CB not DM? seems like another one or two quality bodies are needed back there. 

This Ottawa team is potentially a completely different animal to previous years imo. Pretty good mix of experience and excitement.

Single match tickets only just went on sale, and already seeing that the availability for most matches is fairly low all the way through to Oct. Looks like Ottleti's been doing well for sales of season tickets, flex packs and the rest of their ticket options! 

https://tdplace.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=SINGLEGAME&linkID=ottawa67&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Edited by m-g-williams