Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Dux Internacional, I am a bit surprised by the result as it would have been a friendly for them and they probably did not play all starters. As it was 1-0 at the half it seems maybe At Ottawa ran out of fitness.

I've seen them referred to over the years, but never really knew who they were--except that they had to be a new team. I just assumed it was a foreign academy who had set up in Madrid, but I see I was wrong.

They were always Internacional de Madrid since I began to see them, but I think not related to Inter or inspired by them at all. They started modestly in a small town outside of Madrid, had sporting success promoting all the way up to the former 2B, which is where I last saw them. Now the tiers have changed in Spain from 3rd tier down, so we are still trying to figure it all out. But they are in the 1st RFEF, which is third tier but only two divisions instead of 4. Spanish 3rd is now a much higher level than before.

They don't really have a fan base, so I don't see them growing much. As mentioned they have a gaming sponsor, but that is recent I think. I would not be surprised if at some point if they keep up their results they'd move to a town with a better fan base and lacking an important team; or sell their license to some formerly bigger club suffering from successive relegations. 

Did anyone else get their season tickets sent to them today? I purchased two season tickets packages, but for some reason the email I received only has tickets for the first four CPL matches and the Cdn Championship match against York. Little bit puzzled here. 

Edited by m-g-williams

On 4/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Looks like they drew a bit of a crowd for this:

I think there is a bit of a hangover from the Canada World Cup qualification. BMO field was packed for this weekend's TFC game, well more than even the opening game. I hope this hangover lasts all summer!

Edited by Ruffian

On 4/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seems like a good guy, pleasant, accessible. Think he speaks English better than Mista in fact. Then he was cautious about criticising his predecessor but did identify losing soft points, giving up late goals, which is basically right. Perhaps AtO lost almost the difference between making playoffs or not.

We are so lucky to have a real season, with fans. I am also pleased the league is starting earlier than the first year, 2 weeks earlier, which will help with pacing the entire season.