Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does the player not need to be Canadian for the U21 minutes?

I find it cynical and contrary to the spirit of the rule. 

As I've said previously, if the teams are not going to embrace this, then make it stricter. Say they must have fulfilled 40% by mid-season; and say a % must be Canadian. 

The whole point is to get U21 minutes, on the basis of which the players get experience and you put them in because they're ready. Doing it last minute fails this. 

I only give them a break because they were good with Coupland last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sports business focused site took a look at Ottawa with Lopez.

Why Atletico picked Ottawa: “We loved the fact that it was from one capital to the other, there was that connection there. Also, in terms of Canada, the colours [being the same as Atlético] is important for us. We visited certain opportunities, not only in Ottawa, but at the end of the day I think the stadium and the facilities that Ottawa presented were aligned with Atlético de Madrid.”

How involved is Madrid: “I don’t know how many chats I have on WhatsApp with groups from Madrid,” Lopez says. “For example, our recruitment director is based in Madrid, he has a team and he is analysing Canadian players, the CPL, and we are in touch with them in order to incorporate players for the next season. But also with the commercial team, we are having monthly meetings. So they are very, very involved. The owner is asking me after every game how we played. They are very on top of us because they really want us to succeed.”

Collective league vs individual club: “In the end we’re a collective and we are all part of CSB in the same manner, and we are just trying to build and grow the business equally for all the clubs,” Lopez states. “So in that regard I think that it makes sense to go all together right now, especially as a new league. If you present the package as a league, we are nine teams [from next season], we have this [many] viewers, we have these metrics, I think the numbers make more sense for all of us.

“As the league continues to grow and evolve, restrictions will lift in order to allow clubs to have more individual revenue. But right now I think that the collective is more important for the survival of the league than individual ones. I’m sure that together we can generate more than as individuals.”

https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis/atletico-ottawa-madrid-canadian-premier-league-fernando-lopez-interview/

• 5 weeks later...

There’s not a bad seat in the place.  Do you want noise and smoke, be closer to W.  The north stand will likely be opened up and those seats give you a great view of the play and the crowd on the other side of the field.  I would try and avoid the ones behind the goal lines but even they aren’t horrible.  I suspect L or M will be for the Forge supporters.

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

TSN 1200 radio just said they have sold over 5,000 tickets so far.  Hoping for between 10,000-15,000.

15K would be incredible.  10K certainly attainable.  There were just under 9500 for the Fury NASL semi-final against Minnesota in 2015 and for a National Final, the expectation should be that the 10K is reachable.