Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

3 minutes ago, Zem said:

How on earth were they "terrible" last season? Just because they missed the playoffs? They were only 1 point behind York and were 1 win off an even record.

They had a very solid season last year, and definitely do have stability because 16 of their players from last season are returning.

They were headed for the playoffs until Morelli got injured 

1 hour ago, Zem said:

How on earth were they "terrible" last season? Just because they missed the playoffs? They were only 1 point behind York and were 1 win off an even record.

They had a very solid season last year, and definitely do have stability because 16 of their players from last season are returning.

6th out of 8 is awful. york and valour were both subpar and were better. halifax bottled a playoff spot. 

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

stability in halifax? they have been terrible in the only two full seasons of the cpl. a 7 game bubble doesnt mean anything really otherwise valour would have been the champs last year. 

No, I agree Halifax have failed to deliver, hence why I think this season is make or break for Hart.  You seem to misunderstand, perhaps I said it poorly, my point was that they have stability in set up and player turnover coming into the new season. 

Wrong thread obviously but Atletico Ottawa aren't the only club bringing in a Spanish coach this summer, so it will be interesting to see how much influence Alejandro Dorado has tactically in Halifax.

Think Stephen Hart like Rob Gale in Winnipeg was hired as part of a CSA coaching clique in a jobs for the boys sort of way. Coaching is one area where the league shouldn't emphasize the By Canadians For Canadians jingoism too much, if they want to focus on developing young players to attract transfer fees. Exposing the players to the best possible calibre of coaching is very important from that standpoint.

Think Atletico have the right idea in focusing on bringing in somebody from Spain they rate highly rather than hiring somebody Canadian just for the sake of it, if they couldn't attract somebody like MDS. Combine that with preseason in Madrid and good things should happen.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wrong thread obviously but Atletico Ottawa aren't the only club bringing in a Spanish coach this summer, so it will be interesting to see how much influence Alejandro Dorado has tactically in Halifax.

Think Stephen Hart like Rob Gale in Winnipeg was hired as part of a CSA coaching clique in a jobs for the boys sort of way. Coaching is one area where the league shouldn't emphasize the By Canadians For Canadians jingoism too much, if they want to focus on developing young players to attract transfer fees. Exposing the players to the best possible calibre of coaching is very important from that standpoint.

Think Atletico have the right idea in focusing on bringing in somebody from Spain they rate highly rather than hiring somebody Canadian just for the sake of it, if they couldn't attract somebody like MDS. Combine that with preseason in Madrid and good things should happen.

Not trying to disagree with your post but doesn’t that last paragraph describe the Club’s exact approach their first two seasons?

Edited by gwsmith63

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think you have to allow some time to catch up with the likes of Forge and Cavalry after starting a year later in a rushed manner. It was always going to be a bit of a hospital ball in career terms for whoever took that job first.

Mista is an Atleti company man, it was an act of loyalty to the club. 

True, it's not his only loyalty, but a main one. 

I think from what's been said they'll be announcing a similar profile for the next coach. 

1 hour ago, mtlsab said:

Thats the tournament where he coached with Kuwait U-23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_AFC_U-23_Asian_Cup

Interesting set of results to get them there. Beat the Saudis which is impressive, beat Bangladesh but then got absolutely humped 5-1 by Uzbekistan who really top the group but as hosts didn't have their results count.

If you want more infromations about the new coach:
https://www.transfermarkt.fr/carlos-gonzalez/profil/trainer/63613

Durign this tournament, his team (Kuwait U23) 1st of his group stage, the team qualified for the final tournamement that will be held in June:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_AFC_U-23_Asian_Cup_qualification

During AFC Cup (the Asian equivalent of Europa League), his club (Kuwait SC or Al Kuwait) finished 1st of its group:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_AFC_Cup  

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It’s great and all and very cool that they get to go train in Spain  and I’m assuming use some of Atletico Madrid’s training facility, but what advantage has it given this team the last two seasons in doing this . This team needs to step it up big time . 

Edited by SoccMan

Carlos González, as you'll have seen, was an Atleti youth coach, u-19s, before going to Kuwait. He's still quite young, 35 I think. From the south of Spain, he's Andalusian (he's from Almuñecar on the Granada coast, folks from there are called "sexitanos", odd, but it comes from the ancient Phoenician name of the place). He is a more academic coach, more like Herdman, studied phys ed in Granada and Madrid. 

In 2012 he started coaching u-19s at Málaga, then moved to At Madrid in 2015, first with the u-14s, then u-16s, then u-19s, winning the league in the first year of the pandemic. Then he was not renewed, which most at Atleti found very odd, since the team even had done well in Youth League (3rd place finish). Further, he was considered a coach who was in line with Simeone, similar mentality, so the kids were coming up in a similar mind-set.

He was also a bit of a legend at the club since in all the divisions he coached, over many years, he never lost to Real Madrid, closest rivals. The non-renewal was commented in the Spanish sports press, with opinion pieces even being written.

So after that he took the Kuwait u-23s. And three full senior matches.

I will make the interpretation that whatever the reason in it's day, At Madrid still valued him and were looking for a way to get him back. In many ways, he is similar to Tenllado, Herdman's assistant, though in fact his bio is better than Eric's.

His assistant in Kuwait, Galán, and his trainer, are also going with him.

Odd he'd leave a chance at coaching Kuwait  full NT for this job, I suspect they must be paying him well. 

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Best coaching cv in cpl history

Better than Hart? Not sure, Hart was coach of two national teams at least. 

I'm just trying to be a bit objective. 

Since I suspect CPL coaches are making something like 80-100 thousand (maybe some are a bit lower?), these are decent jobs if you are starting a coaching career. So he's the right age to be coming in. 

What I'd like to see is At Madrid asking for better results and pressuring their coach a bit, especially this season. That way we can get another team into the playoff mix and fighting for the league, and that bolsters their investment and raises the overall quality. I find it hard to believe they accept what they've done so far as okay.

40 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Hart didnt coach pro club before hfx...gonzalez headed kuwait sc before the national teams and did very well

He coached a club in Kuwait then?

In any case, being a youth coach, then at club for what I gather was just a season, then u-23s, then 3 matches with a national team--it is not a great CV. But it is good for a guy of his age.

He has had no say so far in the player selection, I find that a problem since you have to work with what you have and most coaches would prefer to be involved in some signing. Maybe they'll pick up a few more At Madrid youth or B-team players needing minutes and willing to take the chance.

I always thought it was odd that Hart, in contrast, had so little club experience. If you look at the total # of matches he coached for NTs over decades, it was very few, sometime less than 10 a year for 20 years. Clearly coaching week-in week-out is different, requires a different skill set, and let's admit it: Hart, at his age, had virtually no solid club experience before HFX. Or maybe I'm wrong?

I see they're training in the new Wanda At Madrid academy in Alcalá de Henares, outside of Madrid (Cervantes birthplace). That's where they have a smaller 2nd stadium where the women play. In fact only the B team and u. 19s are in another location, all the women and the younger boys are out there. 

https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/galerias/conoce-el-centro-deportivo-wanda-alcala-de-henares

Last year I think they were up in the mountains in a sort of retreat. I think them being in a more urban environment is fine, it also connects them better to the club.

I hope they play some official friendlies. 

There was a rumour that other CPL teams would join them for part of pre-season. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Better than Hart? Not sure, Hart was coach of two national teams at least. 

I'm just trying to be a bit objective. 

Since I suspect CPL coaches are making something like 80-100 thousand (maybe some are a bit lower?), these are decent jobs if you are starting a coaching career. So he's the right age to be coming in. 

What I'd like to see is At Madrid asking for better results and pressuring their coach a bit, especially this season. That way we can get another team into the playoff mix and fighting for the league, and that bolsters their investment and raises the overall quality. I find it hard to believe they accept what they've done so far as okay.

But Hart had no club experience

Gonzalez participated in a continental competition with a club + a continental competition with U23 NT.

I dont see anybody with this type of experience for the moment