Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Great addition. Kwesi has done a bang-up job at Carleton, turning a predominantly Scottish kick-and-run/break-your-legs style of soccer to one of the better passing teams in U-Sports. Hopefully, his appointment will allow for the movement of more Raven's players to the CPL (and should help in recruiting players to Carleton ;)).

2 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

Great addition. Kwesi has done a bang-up job at Carleton, turning a predominantly Scottish kick-and-run/break-your-legs style of soccer to one of the better passing teams in U-Sports. Hopefully, his appointment will allow for the movement of more Raven's players to the CPL (and should help in recruiting players to Carleton ;)).

Wasn’t Kwesi an assistant coach during that ‘predominantly Scottish kick-and-run/break-your-legs style of soccer’?  

For five seasons?

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, gwsmith63 said:

Wasn’t Kwesi an assistant coach during that ‘predominantly Scottish kick-and-run/break-your-legs style of soccer’?  

For five seasons?

😂😂😂

Yes, but that was not his brand as he was only assistant. Things changed quickly when he took over the top spot, which reflects more accurately his brand of soccer.

34 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Yes, but that was not his brand as he was only assistant. Things changed quickly when he took over the top spot, which reflects more accurately his brand of soccer.

Fair enough Senor, we all have our opinions.

My opinion is that you are showing a bit of a disservice to one of the more successful OUA programs and coaches of the last 30 years as well as the large number of skillful and talented players that came through the Carleton progam under Coach Mackie (including Coach Loney himself) many of whom made up the four time Ontario Cup Club Champions and one-time Men's National Club champions, Gloucester Celtic.

I have seen enough Ravens games since 1999 to understand the difference between the tactic of 'kick and run' against getting the ball into the attacking third as quickly as possible.  Both have their merits but Carleton certainly was more the latter than the former.

Don't really have an opinion on your 'break your legs' comment.  Bit OTT if you ask me but it is your opinion.

Cheers

gws

Edited by gwsmith63

2 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Fair enough Senor, we all have our opinions.

My opinion is that you are showing a bit of a disservice to one of the more successful OUA programs and coaches of the last 30 years as well as the large number of skillful and talented players that came through the Carleton progam under Coach Mackie including Coach Loney himself and the many players that made up the four time Ontario Cup Club Champions and one-time Men's National Club champions, Gloucester Celtic.

I have seen enough Ravens games since 1999 to understand the difference between the tactic of 'kick and run' against getting the ball into the attacking third as quickly as possible.  Both have their merits but Carleton certainly was more the latter than the former.

Don't really have an opinion on your 'break your legs' comment.  Bit OTT if you ask me but it is your opinion.

Cheers

gws

GWS, 

I agree, it was more tactical than kick and run and they weren't literal leg breakers. I was being tongue and cheek to describe a direct and physical style of play, but alas tone of voice does not carry over onto forums.

I am also not trying to disservice the many great players that have come through the program, which i apologize for.  I just think they were capable of the style of soccer we see out of Loney's Ravens now rather than the aforementioned get it in the final third ASAP. Given how attractive and successful Celtic have been, it is clear they were capable of it. Props to the current Celtic Coach for getting them to play this way ...

I guess my general point is that Coach Loney has implemented a more attractive style of soccer that showcases his players' potential better than his predecessor and I hope we see the same out of Ottleti. Can't wait for Saturday!

Cheers,

Senor

5 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

GWS, 

I agree, it was more tactical than kick and run and they weren't literal leg breakers. I was being tongue and cheek to describe a direct and physical style of play, but alas tone of voice does not carry over onto forums.

I am also not trying to disservice the many great players that have come through the program, which i apologize for.  I just think they were capable of the style of soccer we see out of Loney's Ravens now rather than the aforementioned get it in the final third ASAP. Given how attractive and successful Celtic have been, it is clear they were capable of it. Props to the current Celtic Coach for getting them to play this way ...

I guess my general point is that Coach Loney has implemented a more attractive style of soccer that showcases his players' potential better than his predecessor and I hope we see the same out of Ottleti. Can't wait for Saturday!

Cheers,

Senor

All good. 👍

$330M 'Lansdowne 2.0' proposal would knit arena into berm, add 1,200 new homes
On May 6, the city's finance and economic development committee will be asked to make a recommendation to council on OSEG's proposal, plus any city-led improvements to the urban park.
Jon Willing Ottawa Citizen April 27, 2022

Lansdowne Park’s next transformation will include a replacement arena on the property, new north-side stands and 1,200 additional residential units, if city council accepts a $330-million proposal by the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group.

eUk5pqS.png

New north-side stands with 11,200 seats, but capable of holding 12,000 spectators, would be the other half of the sports amenities upgrade. The demolition and construction schedule would mean there would be two football seasons without north-side stands; OSEG would use temporary stands to handle 35 per cent of the current north-side capacity.

OSEG is ready to break ground on a new event centre (arena) as early as November if council gives the go-ahead. The 23-month project would be the first phase of Lansdowne 2.0.

Phase 2 would include the north-side stands, retail podium and parking, lasting between December 2024 and May 2027. The residential towers are slated as Phase 3, starting in 2024 and ending in 2029, though the first residents would arrive in 2027.

'Lansdowne 2.0' includes new arena, stands, 1,200 more living units
OSEG promising next phase of park's revitalization will be cost-neutral to taxpayers
CBC News April 27, 2022

The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group's proposal for the next phase of the revitalization of Lansdowne Park includes a new arena and concert venue, a new north-side stadium structure with more than double the current retail space underneath, and 1,200 new residential units.

JYsItCx.png

In this rendering, fans look eastward toward the new arena/indoor concert venue at TD Place, which will have a green roof matching the existing berm at Lansdowne Park. To the left, new residential buildings tower over reconstructed north-side stands. (OSEG)

New north-side stands

The second phase would involve a complete replacement of the north-side stands, with 11,100 seats on two levels (a reduction from the current 14,000), plus two "fan decks" for mingling and field-level "bunker suites," Goudie said.

OSEG Landsdowne 2.0 Proposal to the Finance and Economic Development Committee

The design for the new North Stadium Stands aims to provide an improved viewer experience. The design includes a steeper pitch that brings seats closer to the field, and larger and improved concourses, food and beverage amenities, and washrooms. The new North Stadium Stands will also include suites with direct field views, stacked upper-level fan decks and a mid-level club.

With a seating capacity of 11,200 (and overall capacity of 12,000), the North Stadium Stands main concourses are split between two levels, with one level linking to the new elevated east-west public promenade and the club level of the new Event Centre. An updated connection path between the north and south stands will be integrated into the new design and will travel across the edge of the event centre’s live green roof.

The new North Stadium Stands seating is split into upper and lower seating sections and is designed to provide excellent sight lines to the field, similar to the South Stadium Stands. This totally new structure with its many amenities will be integrated with the different elements of the site to allow the North Stadium Stands to improve the fan and guest experience for years to come.

Serving the Event Centre and Stadium administrative needs, an office (which is currently located within the Arena at TD Place) will be located adjacent to the North Stadium Stands.

Phase II – North Stadium Stands, Retail Podium, Parking: Commencement December 2024, Completion North Stadium Stands May 2027, Duration 30 months

In late 2024, after the Ottawa REDBLACKS season, demolition of the current North Stadium Stands and arena complex will commence. The North Stadium Stands will be unavailable during 2025 and 2026 until they are completed in May 2027. Temporary stands, representing 35% of the current North Stadium Stands capacity, will be utilized for the two seasons during construction. (I believe council is saying this schedule is too ambitious and will be started later)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...