Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I wonder if it's as simple as, we know what a few of the top Carleton guys have to offer. Bitar has had two CPL shots, Garcia played 17 games for Valour.

I also think having the top pick left them in more of a "best player available" position. Won't be surprised if any of the Carleton guys are signed as depth. A vet like Dario Conte would make a lot of sense.

26 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I wonder if it's as simple as, we know what a few of the top Carleton guys have to offer. Bitar has had two CPL shots, Garcia played 17 games for Valour.

I also think having the top pick left them in more of a "best player available" position. Won't be surprised if any of the Carleton guys are signed as depth. A vet like Dario Conte would make a lot of sense.

Wasn’t Carleton player Cris Malekos taken 2nd overall by Ottawa last season?  

Edited by gwsmith63

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

First one to drop https://northerntribune.ca/atletico-ottawa-macdonald-ngwa-niba/

From Cameroon, played with KuPS last season, will count as domestic as he has his Canadian residency, looks like he was in Canada for 2 years, played in L1O.   

This signing is really interesting on paper. Clubs obviously see something in him to bring him into top Finnish/Hungarian sides, but he has little playing time to show for it. Could be an Kwame Awuah like signing where the player just needed some minutes to show what he's got, or an Arnold Bouka Motou like signing where we wrongly assume he's still got it because of his previous clubs.

The domestic status is obviously the biggest draw of the signing. Defender of the year pedigree in L10 signals good CPL quality, guys like Dom Samuel and Johnny Grant won the same award in the past. 7 goals in 18 matches that season is impressive for a centreback, have to imagine he's an aerial threat. 

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

First one to drop https://northerntribune.ca/atletico-ottawa-macdonald-ngwa-niba/

From Cameroon, played with KuPS last season, will count as domestic as he has his Canadian residency, looks like he was in Canada for 2 years, played in L1O.   

Oh, I recognize his name from FM a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I ended up capping him for Canada after a bit of a injury crisis and needing someone to come in who was competent enough to fill in at defensive midfield.  No idea if he's actually eligible for Canada in real life.  But names like his do give me a wee smile, it's the same when Stefan Cebara signed for Valour (In one of the older games, I bought him in initially as a backup winger, and he ended up putting in superhuman performances well above his stats).

Edited by StillOnFire

3 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

Oh, I recognize his name from FM a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I ended up capping him for Canada after a bit of a injury crisis and needing someone to come in who was competent enough to fill in at defensive midfield.  No idea if he's actually eligible for Canada in real life.  But names like his do give me a wee smile, it's the same when Stefan Cebara signed for Valour (In one of the older games, I bought him in initially as a backup winger, and he ended up putting in superhuman performances well above his stats).

Ah, good old FM.  The Wikipedia of football scouting.  LOL.

9 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Will Keven Aleman show up as one of the next 3 signees?

Maybe, maybe not.  Who other than the ITK crowd know for sure?

What factors brought you to this suggestion/thought?  Just curious.

Edited by gwsmith63

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Wow good signing for Ottawa 

Was kind of hoping Ingham would make the jump to MLS, especially now given how few goalkeepers the Whitecaps have. However, as an Ottawa native - this signing pleases me! Powley made too many mistakes that cost us points. Ingham just doesn't leak a ton of goals. I got the impression last year that a lot of the goals York let in were because of naive defending that left the goalkeeping exposed.

5 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Was kind of hoping Ingham would make the jump to MLS, especially now given how few goalkeepers the Whitecaps have. However, as an Ottawa native - this signing pleases me! Powley made too many mistakes that cost us points. Ingham just doesn't leak a ton of goals. I got the impression last year that a lot of the goals York let in were because of naive defending that left the goalkeeping exposed.

One could argue that Powley had the same issues in front of him?