FC Edmonton - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

How stuffed are FC Edmonton exactly? Being a Valour guy (and based in the UK), I don't really know the ins & outs of their current situation.

I just really hate seeing clubs in this sort of situation, especially when the club has history. 

Oh, I agree, the situation at Edmonton is really sad, especially as they have a little bit more history next to the other clubs in the league. I would like to know what happened to the fans who supported the NASL team. As far as I gather they were attracting 2000 or so to games then. Edmonton seems the type of place where a soccer club should be pretty attractive prospect. But, like most new leagues across the world, some teams fall by the wayside. For every Hamilton and Halifax you get an Edmonton, I guess. It's sad, but hopefully things work out for them. 

To answer @EnigMattic1, Edmonton is in very bad shape. 

What happened to Edmonton? Well, here are a few things:

• Marketing heavily in 2010 by bringing in high profile friendlies only to have the first games in 2011 be played on a gridiron football pitch with football lines, bright yellow end zones and stands 20 yards from the pitch.
  • Moving to a 1200 seat stadium in 2012 with football lines. Being unable to actually build additional seating for 18 months by trying to skirt the permitting process. Playing on a pitch with football lines until 2014 when the city paid to replace the turf.
  • Subjecting fans to Colin Miller's unattractive brand of soccer for 5 years.
  • Constant supporter infighting. A weak supporters group that does not contribute to the draw of the atmosphere as in other CPL cities. 
  • Ceasing operations in 2017 before joining CPL in 2018. The CPL version of FC Edmonton is seen by casuals as a new club, not the same one.
  • Failing to upgrade the game day experience when moving to CPL while at the same time cutting all other expenses.
  • Constant losing in both NASL and CPL.
  • Finally, the owner pulling the plug and expecting other CPL owners to bail him out.

If Fath is able to finally let go of the club and let a new ownership group take over, there is the potential to gain back the fan base Edmonton once had, but it's an awfully big task. 

Edited by shermanator

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

To answer @EnigMattic1, Edmonton is in very bad shape. 

What happened to Edmonton? Well, here are a few things:

• Marketing heavily in 2010 by bringing in high profile friendlies only to have the first games in 2011 be played on a gridiron football pitch with football lines, bright yellow end zones and stands 20 yards from the pitch.
  • Moving to a 1200 seat stadium in 2012 with football lines. Being unable to actually build additional seating for 18 months by trying to skirt the permitting process. Playing on a pitch with football lines until 2014 when the city paid to replace the turf.
  • Subjecting fans to Colin Miller's unattractive brand of soccer for 5 years.
  • Constant supporter infighting. A weak supporters group that does not contribute to the draw of the atmosphere as in other CPL cities. 
  • Ceasing operations in 2017 before joining CPL in 2018. The CPL version of FC Edmonton is seen by casuals as a new club, not the same one.
  • Failing to upgrade the game day experience when moving to CPL while at the same time cutting all other expenses.
  • Constant losing in both NASL and CPL.
  • Finally, the owner pulling the plug and expecting other CPL owners to bail him out.

If Fath is able to finally let go of the club and let a new ownership group take over, there is the potential to gain back the fan base Edmonton once had, but it's an awfully big task. 

Didn't Edmonton have a good season in the NASL? Was it a 3rd place finish in '13?

From what you have said, ceasing operations was, for me, a mistake because, as you pointed out, they are now viewed as a "new" team. Do you think anything could be done to entice the fans back? 

As @StillOnFiresaid, when they have a little more history next to the other CPL sides, where have the fans gone?

For me, as they have to operate on the bare minimum for the foreseeable future, they could really do with a youth oriented manager with fresh ideas. Hopefully, Koch will be given some time and not judged too harshly when the situation is, for the best part, out of his control. 

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Didn't Edmonton have a good season in the NASL? Was it a 3rd place finish in '13?

From what you have said, ceasing operations was, for me, a mistake because, as you pointed out, they are now viewed as a "new" team. Do you think anything could be done to entice the fans back? 

As @StillOnFiresaid, when they have a little more history next to the other CPL sides, where have the fans gone?

For me, as they have to operate on the bare minimum for the foreseeable future, they could really do with a youth oriented manager with fresh ideas. Hopefully, Koch will be given some time and not judged too harshly when the situation is, for the best part, out of his control. 

That was in 2016.  They followed that up by having their worst year statistically in 2017, not including the Island games.  Coincidentally, 2017 was the Eddies best year attendance-wise. Then they shut down for a year. They have made the playoffs twice in ten years over two leagues.  They've had one winning season in those ten years. They still have 0 wins in three years against Cavalry, arguably their most important rivals (3 draws, 9 losses). 

@shermanator has all the other main points covered in his post.

If you don't get close to winning for a decade, people stop showing up. This doesn't even include the complaints about the pitch, the stadium, and supposedly playing second-fiddle to the CFL team's cheerleader practices. It is pretty sad to see, I admit, and I hope they are able to bring back the fan base, but it will be hard.

Edited by Trois Reds
Spelling shermanator's name right

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

They made the playoffs only 2 of 7 years in NASL (2011, 5th place, and 2016, 3rd place). The clubs losing certainly didn't help but their seasons with the better record were not the one's with the higher attendances. Best years attendance wise were 2014, 2015, and 2017 when they averaged 3384, 3122, and finally 3408 in the last year in NASL where they had a sellout of over 4000 for a game.

Koch is a quality coach, he should be able to put together a competent roster of youth and some older players, don't think they will go full out youth movement.

Edited by CDNFootballer

41 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Well, if he can succeed in all these areas FC Edmonton should be able find an owner, " dedicated to revenue generation (ticketing, premium sales), brand equity, sponsorship activation, customer retention, event operations, retail operations, digital media, fan engagement, TV & radio broadcast, in-house media, creative services, and game presentation".   Will be a huge challenge.

Here we go

FC Edmonton re-signs T-Boy Fayia, Darlington Murasiranwa

FC Edmonton confirmed that Fayia and Murasiranwa will be the only two players from the 2021 roster signed to the club for 2022. The Eddies added that they would like to thank all the 2021 players for their valuable contributions to the team both on and off the field.   

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater may be the right tactic for Edmonton.

In 2019, I predicted they would struggle tremendously. There was something about the business of "We have a culture of this and transitioning to CPL, no big deal" that prevailed and it was clear Edmonton underestimated the talent and skill amongst young and upcoming Canadian players that they would be facing.

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

Here we go

FC Edmonton re-signs T-Boy Fayia, Darlington Murasiranwa

FC Edmonton confirmed that Fayia and Murasiranwa will be the only two players from the 2021 roster signed to the club for 2022. The Eddies added that they would like to thank all the 2021 players for their valuable contributions to the team both on and off the field.   

Only 2 players being kept from last year. Wow.

2 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Only 2 players being kept from last year. Wow.

Just mind-blowing. All the academy products from what seemed a great system. Thought Shome would be retained. Maybe he heads to pacific? 

Fair play if Koch lasts much longer. Almost impossible task but at least the expectation couldn't be lower.

Thought we see Marcus Velado, Tony Carercas  Prince, Neki Wright, Ali Yildiz, Muslim Omar announced with Darlington and tboy and usports picks from a couple years ago.. to save time n the cost. Need some cpl experience with prince, Marcus and Tony .. spent three years developing them 

Personally, if they are going to release all their players and essentially play a glorified League 1 Ontario side, I think CPL would be better off just folding the team.  Its looking at this stage like its going to be a farce and it will bring the league into question as well as potentially further destroy a credible market.  In my mind, they either put out a competitive side even if they know its going to be bottom half of the table or just close up shop.  What it seems like they are doing is the worst of all worlds.  Maybe they want the balance schedule or they think it would be a bigger stain on them exiting a viable market, but i disagree.  This has the real capacity to turn into a shit show and look amateurish.

Edited by An Observer

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Personally, if they are going to release all their players and essentially play a glorified League 1 Ontario side, I think CPL would be better off just folding the team...

7 teams means lots of weeknight games, which they want to avoid. It looks like the worst case scenario isn't happening if the news about Masta Kacher and loans from York United turn out to be accurate.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot